Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:04 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times

Advertisements

I'm cleaning out the attic and between 3 kids, we seem to have accumulated quite a few infant seats, car seats and booster seats. I tried to take them to Goodwill but evidently they won't accept them for liability reasons. I really need to get these things out of my house. Anyone know where I can take them?
And if I can't donate them anywhere, how do I get rid of them?

Last edited by lamishra; 12-02-2007 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I'm cleaning out the attic and between 3 kids, we seem to have accumulated quite a few infant seats, car seats and booster seats. I tried to take them to Goodwill but evidently they won't accept them for liability reasons. I really need to get these things out of my house. Anyone know where I can take them?
And if I can't donate them anywhere, how do I get rid of them?
You shouldn't donated them if they've been stored in an attic for any length of time (heat degrades plastic) and they are probably over their expiration date, though you could check to make sure.

Sorry...but unless they are not really that old, they may have to go to the dump.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
So do I just take them to the dump or is there another way to dispose of them? I don't really care where they go, I just want them gone but I do hate seeing them being added to the waste in dumps!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
So do I just take them to the dump or is there another way to dispose of them? I don't really care where they go, I just want them gone but I do hate seeing them being added to the waste in dumps!
I can understand that...it kills me to, to be honest....but at the same time, if they aren't safe to protect a child, there isn't much else to do with them.

I dont' know of any other way to get rid of them...maybe someone else has an idea.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:34 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,111 times
The dump is the only way. I am not sure of anywhere that will take a second hand baby seat. Being that you could not know if it was ever in an accident I don't see why anyone would take one anyways. Probably the only thing I would never buuy second hand (or a bike helmet.)

Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,945 times
In Portland the city ran the recycling program. And twice a year they had collection sites for large plastic pieces, like broken plastic lawn furniture, broken kid's plastic play structures, etc. I dropped off my old, unusable car seats there, after removing the padded parts. Maybe there is a similar program here??? I would try calling Cary or Raleigh's recycling office and if they don't have this sort of program maybe Orange Co does.

I'm like you, I hate the idea of these sort of things sitting in land fills forever. But I would have never bought a used car seat for my kids.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM

88 posts, read 401,875 times
You can try and sell the covers if they're in decent shape, but if any of the seats are 6+ years old, they are expired, like the pp mentioned. If you have a power saw, you can cut them up and throw them in a recycling bin (if they're too big to fit whole). And cut up the harness straps, too. Those you can just toss.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,424 times
does walmart take used car seats an give you 5.00 for them

Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cforrest View Post
does walmart take used car seats an give you 5.00 for them
no... why would they?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,227 times
If you really don't want to throw them out, offer them for free on craigslist? It would be was safer than nothing which is all some mom's can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary