Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM

70 posts, read 141,498 times

Advertisements

We are planning to ask for a transfer for our child to Holly Springs High School next school year. Do you have any advice on how to word the transfer request? Have you had success with the transfer request in the past? He will be going in as a freshman next year, and more than likely the school will be capped again at some point. Any advice at all will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Explain why you want the transfer and give details. But if the school is crowded don't expect to get it unless there is a major disability involved. I know someone who hired an attorney to write a transfer letter to an overcrowded school that she was zoned for (but had chosen the YR option in kindy) and didn't get the transfer.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:56 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,792 times
What is the reason for the transfer request? That might help someone figure out how to word it. While it won't hurt to try, I honestly would expect zero chance of being approved if the school is capped, no matter what the reason is.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
if there is space, it will be fairly easy to transfer without transportation, if it is crowded, you have to prove that there is a program or academic need that cannot be met at your current school, which will be very difficult to prove at the High school level. For example: your child has been playing violin since they were 6 years old and your current school doesn't offer orchestra but the new one does, your child is on a specific academic path and the current school cannot provide the appropriate classes, the new school offers a program like JROTC which your child has participated in or expressed a strong interest in. The best way will be if you can prove an academic need that is not being met at your current school.
I also know they'll consider it with a request from a counselor if there is a documented case of bullying.
Good Luck!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,572,650 times
My son wanted to go to Green Hope like his older brother, but was moved to the Panther Creek district. Green Hope offered wood working classes, while Panther Creek did not. He was successfully transferred for that reason.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:33 AM

70 posts, read 141,498 times
Thanks for the reply. Based upon your input, I plan to look more closely at the offered courses at both schools. I had noticed a slight difference in the tech courses offered... Also, he does have a diagnosed learning disability although we have always provided private tutoring and not documented it through the schools. Could consider bringing that into the transfer request if I feel the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,581 times
@[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/scncmom-1503846.html"][SIZE=5]ScNcMom[/SIZE][/URL] Sadly HS is now capped, but my daughter who is currently based there, is on the waitlist for Cary High, so maybe a few spots will open up if kids who are going there get moved/transfered. Keep the faith!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,816,530 times
Outline in your request what your daughter is good at, what she has an aptitude for, and where she might want to go to college and study upon graduation, and how the transfer will help assure that she gets the necessary prerequisites (college prep courses, etc.) where as her current school might not. Differentiate how the transfer will help assure her success.

This is a crazy idea, but one which might make your application stand out: have your daughter write a small, well-crafted essay on why attending the school might benefit her, as well as the school: she will become a well-educated alumnus. . .

"stand out".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary