Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 AM

40 posts, read 42,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
that sounds about right. We rented a beautiful 4 BR TH in Cary for roughly 1300. As far as location, it was perfect. The only negative would be that it's close to the train tracks, but you get used to the sounds of trains very quickly.
I live now where fighter jets routinely fly low overhead on training flights. I am sure I would get used to a train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 AM

513 posts, read 695,705 times
You could probably find cheaper. A 3br house near me just rented for 1100, little on the small side at 1200 sq ft though. However, I live in Apex near Wal-Mart. I guess that is a bad area?

Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM

397 posts, read 805,370 times
There's always less desirable arears of any town. Apex is very highly regarded as the "peak" of good living as they say. I lived in Apex many years.

The area off HWY 55 and 64 with all the shopping is a very nice area.

But drive down 3-4 miles towards holly springs, and some parts of "old" apex are pretty crusty and look a little run down.

So you do have to be careful if you don't know the area. As they say in real estate...Location, Location, Location. 1 mile to the left or right can make a huge differece in the scenry and vibe of your neigborhood.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:31 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
You could probably find cheaper. A 3br house near me just rented for 1100, little on the small side at 1200 sq ft though. However, I live in Apex near Wal-Mart. I guess that is a bad area?
If you're referring to my comment, then no, it's not a bad area, but you illustrated my point. In that area, the OP's price-range would be overpaying. You are able to get a freestanding (single family) house in that area for less than the budget for a townhome. But that doesn't make it a bad area, just lower price-point.

I live in a place very comparable to what you described.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If you're referring to my comment, then no, it's not a bad area, but you illustrated my point. In that area, the OP's price-range would be overpaying. You are able to get a freestanding (single family) house in that area for less than the budget for a townhome. But that doesn't make it a bad area, just lower price-point.

I live in a place very comparable to what you described.
Got ya, I have seen it described as "sketchy" by some posters. One went as far as to say she hid in her house all day because it was so scary. Until she moved to the super safe Wake Forest

Old 03-05-2014, 12:56 PM

40 posts, read 42,167 times
Obviously I don't know the area that well at all. But from what I have read, not too many areas are "sketchy". Especially as compared to the area I will be relocating from! Atlantic City has some sketchy areas...as in..don't go to those blocks after sunset sketchy.

I just don't want to be totally overwhelmed. I want to have about 5 or 6 "neighborhoods" to check out within Cary or Apex when I visit next weekend.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyDad View Post
Obviously I don't know the area that well at all. But from what I have read, not too many areas are "sketchy". Especially as compared to the area I will be relocating from! Atlantic City has some sketchy areas...as in..don't go to those blocks after sunset sketchy.

I just don't want to be totally overwhelmed. I want to have about 5 or 6 "neighborhoods" to check out within Cary or Apex when I visit next weekend.
For the record, I am not saying it is sketchy. I am perplexed when people make those claims about the area.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:14 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I wouldn't pay that kind of rent to live in the area right near Chatham and Maynard, some of the downtown areas near the tracks, or off some parts of Gregory Rd in Cary, nor the area kind of near Wal-Mart in Apex.

For the most part, both towns are safe, but they do have some areas where that price would be a BAD deal.
I actually live in Medfield Estates, very near the intersection of Chatham and Maynard. It's a wonderful area and very low crime. We are so close to I-40 so you can be practically anywhere in the Triangle in 15 minutes. I love this location. And the property values in our neighborhood have been consistently high. There aren't really any townhomes in this area right now. But I think there are some new ones going in that back up to my subdivision. I'm pretty sure that they will be at least that expensive, but probably not rentals, at least not for a while.

There are some older, more industrial areas near that intersection as well as a mobile home park. But everything new that is going in surrounding that has really nice architecture and like I said, there is very little crime here, so no worries about that. That intersection is kind of the multicultural section of town with the Indian market and the Hallal butcher.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I actually live in Medfield Estates,
Ha! I lived in Medfield (Stonehurst Rd) when I was in elementary school. I can remember riding my bike all over that neighborhood to my friends' houses and the pool.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
Ha! I lived in Medfield (Stonehurst Rd) when I was in elementary school. I can remember riding my bike all over that neighborhood to my friends' houses and the pool.
I'm surprised you didn't buy a house here. There are quite a few multigenerational families in the neighborhood. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary