Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:47 AM

214 posts, read 701,708 times

Advertisements

I also respectfully disagree. I chose Clayton for the very reasons you dislike it. We wanted a "bedroom community". I personally do not need all the shopping areas that other triangle towns have and I see strip malls everywhere I go, not just Clayton. If I want to shop, I will go to where I need to go. Or if I want a certain restaurant, I will go there. Otherwise, my basic needs can be met in Clayton or within 15 minutes in Garner or Smithfield. The downtown area was a great time last week during the tree lighting- I walked around, listened to the different groups perform, went into some of the shops and enjoyed the spirit of the small town event. As for entertainment, for my family with children, entertainment is mostly kid related and family time at home or driving them around town to their events. There is also plenty to do within 20-30 minutes if we choose to do something. Our school experience here has been great. Cookie cutter developments are everywhere in the Triangle- not just Clayton. As for traffic on 70, you have to plan your errands just like you do anywhere you live and there are ways to avoid 70. As for growth, people are moving into many areas- Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, Holly Springs- not just Clayton. There are growth related issues everywhere, not just Clayton. So as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. My family and I like Clayton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 10:03 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Dont forget, the Clayton Christmas parade is this Saturday!!!

Also, rumor has it (apparently it was in the News & Observer), Clayton will soon be getting an "Adam & Eve" store.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:07 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
To the original poster, Butterbeer -- I applaud you for the courage to state your view. Much of what you said falls in line with my own observations. We looked extensively in Clayton, Garner, Willow Springs, Holly Springs, F-V, Wendell and Knightdale. We combed the northern areas of Raleigh, into Wake Forest, Rolesville and Youngsville. Even ventured into Granville County. This is over several house hunting trips, over 2 years. We were fortunate that we could afford to take the time. There were many areas in Clayton that we liked, and came very close to buying, but in the end we opted for Southwestern Franklin County. We're right on the WAke/Frankin county line. It's also a 'bedroom community', and rural, but only 10-15 minutes from everything we could possibly need. There isn't the sprawl, growth seemed better controlled, and we liked the plans that were in place for Granville/Franklin counties in terms of future planned growth. It's definitely a peaceful and slow pace, and buying here met our needs better.
Vicki, I'll head for Smithfield one day and, yes, it's a bit of a drive for me. Then, again, I can get to places that others can't in 15 minutes, and I can make the airport in 30-35 mins. Oh, yes - to the person who settled in N. Raleigh because they liked the topography better -- I like it better here also. The gently rolling hills, woods, farms...all are easy on the eyes. Topography was one of the things that brought me back north from the Clayton area.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Well southward bound...you start out in the early morning...hit Bojangles for a country ham biscuit and you should land in Smithfield before noon! After spending the DAY shopping at the outlets, you can just hop back in the car, stop in at Cracker Barrel for dinner and then head home, tired and happy and shopped out!!! Its worth the drive!

Vicki

Old 12-07-2007, 03:15 AM

49 posts, read 152,085 times
I disagree with the post as well. Clayton is home to many large companies including Talecris (formerly Bayer), Caterpillar and Novo Nordisk. The biotechnology industry is so strong in Johnston County that a Workforce Development Center was created to support local industries. There are plenty of opportunities to live AND work in Clayton.

The Town was accepted into a downtown Main Street program, which provides support/guidance on downtown revitalization--you have to have a lot of strength and great potential to be accepted into the program.

There are great restaurants in Clayton and two new ones are popping up shortly, the Italian restaurant owned and operated by an authentic Italian family and a new Clayton Steakhouse on Main Street.

There is plenty of entertainment including The Clayton Center auditorium, which features internationally touring artists--the same caliber entertainment that big cities draw. Last year they brought author David Sedaris, this year they had Doc Watson and will bring Eileen Ivers (Riverdance), The Flying Karamazov Brothers (they've been to Raleigh and Durham before) and Chris Thile (the guy from Nickel Creek), they've also presented Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder. Not bad for a small town!

The Flip Side has great live music every weekend and some weekdays. And if you are into Mountain Biking, some of the best mtn. biking in the state can be found at Legends Park in Clayton--mtn bikers travel from all over to bike on Legend's trails. Also, the Town is building a new community center which should be done in 08. And don't forget all the golf courses!

Sure, there are some housing developments with few trees--but you can find those in any area. There are also developments with a great deal of privacy and natural areas. There is a new development near Flowers (but not part of Flowers) called (something like) Terrel West on Motorcycle Road which has BEAUTIFUL lots. Neuse Colony is a gorgeous established neighborhood with plenty of trees and walking trails. Walden neighborhood has trees a plenty and a great clubhouse.

What makes Clayton special and attractive is not affordable housing, but a small town feel. Its a place where when you walk into a store you are recognized, your name is remembered and you get personal customer service. Its the kind of place where you can call a store like Fancy That--an awesome little gift shop on Main Street downtown and say you need a gift and the owner will pick out a perfect item and have it ready and waiting for you when you arrive. Its the kind of place where when you have your car serviced, the car shop will deliver your car back to you if necessary. Clayton is authentic.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:57 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
I just want to add one thing. Suburban sprawl is NOT just Clayton (although it exists there). Suburban sprawl is pretty much 80% of the entire triangle area. North Raleigh is suburban sprawl as much as clayton, even though most of it was developed long before any areas of Clayton. People always bad mouth suburban sprawl, but then they go ahead and live in Suburbia...I don't get it? I don't mind living in suburbia, but I find it funny that people that always talk bad about suburbia and "cookie cutter" houses, tend to live there and in them themselves!

Plain and simple, a lot of people do not like living in the dense parts of cities, yet decry the suburbs for being totally different than the cities. I wouldn't mind living in the "city"...I also wouldn't mind living in the suburbs (if they have things to offer).

I think it's up to induviduals to decide what they like. That is what America is all about

Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Clayton is a nice place and a good value to be sure.
I think that many people on this board who are looking for information on relocation sometimes read about Clayton and draw the conclusion that it's a less expensive alternative to Cary/Apex/Holly Springs/North Raleigh that offers a similar lifestyle. The fact is that Clayton offers a very different lifestyle-while there may be homes/neighborhoods that are beginning to pust the price envelope and position themselves as "upscale", there is nothing about commerce/shopping/dining in Clayton that could be described the same way.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:19 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Well southward bound...you start out in the early morning...hit Bojangles for a country ham biscuit and you should land in Smithfield before noon! After spending the DAY shopping at the outlets, you can just hop back in the car, stop in at Cracker Barrel for dinner and then head home, tired and happy and shopped out!!! Its worth the drive!

Vicki
Vicki, do you mean I won't have to stay overnight? I can do it all in one day?

Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 AM

20 posts, read 82,243 times
I've lived in Clayton for almost a year now, so I think I'm qualified to add my two cents.

I certainly agree that sprawl is an issue. You can just 'tell' when a town has been planned well and Clayton just isn't quite there. Maybe planners and town leaders didn't expect the growth that Moderator cut: link has seen, or maybe they're asleep at the wheel. However, I do see signs of potential if the folks in charge can get it together. But, yes, there is still much work to be done. It looks like the town is actually planning parts of 42 between 70 and 40...I just hope they do the same on 70 toward Smithfield.

Personally, I love my little home in my little four-street sprawl subdivision off Little Creek Church Rd. I have trees, friendly neighbors and a home business that keeps me from commuting to RTP or anywhere in that direction.

Thanks for posting your opinion.

Last edited by autumngal; 12-14-2007 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: link not allowed

Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 PM

282 posts, read 835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Vicki, do you mean I won't have to stay overnight? I can do it all in one day?

All depends on how much time you plan on spending at the outlets... Or - in my case - if there's enough room left for me in the car once the wife's done there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary