Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 8,433 times

Advertisements

OK, I admit it. I'm afraid of dogs. But I'm a walker and I really don't want to give it up. How can I learn the various leash laws for the towns and counties in the RT? I've been unsuccessful Googling for this information. Also, I'm seeking a home on at least an acre in the $250K to $400K range. Preferably in a neighborhood where I can take a 30 minute walk without fearing for my life, and within 3 miles of a decent grocery store. Please refrain form trying to tell me how to behave around dogs. This fear is just something you can't pretend away, and dogs know it. Thanks for any help here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:27 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I know in Raleigh the ordinance is as follows:

It is against the law for domesticated animals such as dogs and cats to run unrestrained within the City Limits. They must be confined to their guardian's property or walked on a leash. Guardians of dogs and cats can receive a misdemeanor citation for allowing their pets to run at large.

As far as I know other Triangle communities have pretty similar laws. Now whether pet owners follow these is an entirely different discussion.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:42 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
It is against the law for domesticated animals such as dogs and cats to run unrestrained within the City Limits. They must be confined to their guardian's property or walked on a leash. Guardians of dogs and cats can receive a misdemeanor citation for allowing their pets to run at large.
Unfortunately, there are many that don't think the law applies to them. One of mine has fear based aggression, so I try to walk her in places where we probably won't run into other dogs. Unfortunately, that seems to be where most let their dog(s) go off-leash. Some are apologetic, but others have the attitude that I am being a pain when I ask them to leash their dog.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPbound View Post
OK, I admit it. I'm afraid of dogs. But I'm a walker and I really don't want to give it up. How can I learn the various leash laws for the towns and counties in the RT? I've been unsuccessful Googling for this information. Also, I'm seeking a home on at least an acre in the $250K to $400K range. Preferably in a neighborhood where I can take a 30 minute walk without fearing for my life, and within 3 miles of a decent grocery store. Please refrain form trying to tell me how to behave around dogs. This fear is just something you can't pretend away, and dogs know it. Thanks for any help here!
There are tons of dogs in this area...so get used to that idea right off the bat.....and while you are scared, your life is not in danger. That being said, I often walk the trails in Wake Forest and always saw the dogs on a leash....it's been very rare to see one off leash expect at the dog park.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:26 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPbound View Post
Also, I'm seeking a home on at least an acre in the $250K to $400K range. Preferably in a neighborhood where I can take a 30 minute walk without fearing for my life, and within 3 miles of a decent grocery store.
Homes on an acre in that prices range will be out in rural areas. Unfortunately those will also be the areas where you will be most likely to find free-ranging dogs. If you have to walk in theses areas, I'd suggest carrying a deterrent like an ammonia and water-loaded squirt gun.

Otherwise, I'd suggest sticking with the urban areas where you would be protected by leash laws. Recognize that your fear of dogs places you in the minority.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
There is a leash law in Cary but that does not stop idiots from letting their dogs run off leash. I see it ALL the time even though everyone SWEARS they never do it. (Just like they SWEAR they always pick up their dog poop, yet it's all over the sidewalks wherever I walk!). I've seen it at Davis Drive park twice in the last week (with TONS of kids running around!!!), Umstead Park and yesterday in a neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
There are tons of dogs in this area...so get used to that idea right off the bat.....and while you are scared, your life is not in danger. That being said, I often walk the trails in Wake Forest and always saw the dogs on a leash....it's been very rare to see one off leash expect at the dog park.
Bad answer and bad advice. But OP asked us specifically not to address how to deal with it.

THere are leash laws, and people ignore them all the time. I don't know what to tell OP, other than going to the more populous parks to walk is the best bet to NOT run into unleashed dogs, but even then, people think the laws don't apply to them.

Don6170, I feel for you too. This is exactly one of the reasons that even a friendly, non-aggressive dog should be leashed. Friendly dog, off leash, comes to say hi to your dog, who is on leash. Your dog reacts, and unleashed dog owner is clueless that it is 100% THEIR FAULT.

I was on the greenway several days this week and every one of them, I either ran into unleashed dogs, or in one case, a dog on a retractable, held by a young child, while it attacked another dog on leash.

I'm a dog lover, but irresponsible owners ruin it for everyone.

Good luck, OP.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 8,433 times
Perhaps advice on good parks and trails for walking alone would be helpful if I can't walk out my own front door as an option. I'm trying to orient my final home choice to the Durham area. But that's not in stone. If I could be a short hop to a good solution for a solo stroll that would be my second choice.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:28 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Hi RTPbound,

I love dogs, but after my own dog was attacked by an off leash dog a few years ago, I want to avoid off-leash dogs too.

Basically there's a leash law everywhere (dunno about more rural areas) - and there's always some jerk who feels it doesn't apply to him/her. But here are some places I've had really good luck so far -

--Nature trail at NC botanical garden in Chapel Hill
--Hemlock Bluffs trails in Cary
--Occoneechee Mt. trails in Hillsborough (but I think I just got lucky)

The first two seem somewhat monitored, which leads to people maybe being reluctant to break the rules.

My two favorite parks are Eno River State Park and Umstead Park - I have seen off leash dogs at both - in fact the experience at Eno has stopped me from distance hiking with my dog. We were just too far in and that can't happen again. BUT - I still go to both and stay to the more heavily populated trails.

You will see dogs on leash at any of these places, but more responsible owners will move aside for you.

I'm not a huge HOA fan but this is one case where I would tell you to maybe look for a very strict HOA - perhaps there is less chance of loose dogs running around? I don't really know if that's true - I know my very loose HOA couldn't care less.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
You can check out most statutes online. Or, I would contact a local police department or stop in the library.

Beyond that, make sure your new neighbors don't have dogs if that's an issue for you. I live next door to some people (read my thread on the ladder situation) and they have a big dog. I'm not afraid of dogs, but their dog is constantly running into my yard and got in my house a few times. I have two elementary aged children so it's kind of annoying because the dog is bigger than my six year old. So, keep in mind, it's not just avoiding them in public, but possibly your home or yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary