Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 AM

258 posts, read 673,059 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a "room package" and it came with a very nice dark brown Micro-suede recliner. Unfortunatly due to the very small house we own (but lotsa land ) we have NOWHERE to put it. Even if we wanted to keep it. Tried to put it on Craigs list, but thats a joke.

I wondered if there were any good quality furniture consignment stores in this area that would sell for me. It's a $500 chair so I don't want to "let it go" on CL for $100. Give me a break.

I really need to get it out of the house, have relatives visiting in 2 days

Moderater, this is NOT a for sale post lol....I am looking for reccomendations on a store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
You'll get more selling it yourself than through a consignment store. Why not try Craigslist instead of complaining about it?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
We recently bought a "room package" and it came with a very nice dark brown Micro-suede recliner. Unfortunatly due to the very small house we own (but lotsa land ) we have NOWHERE to put it. Even if we wanted to keep it. Tried to put it on Craigs list, but thats a joke.

I wondered if there were any good quality furniture consignment stores in this area that would sell for me. It's a $500 chair so I don't want to "let it go" on CL for $100. Give me a break.

I really need to get it out of the house, have relatives visiting in 2 days

Moderater, this is NOT a for sale post lol....I am looking for reccomendations on a store
I like Thieve's Market in Tower Shopping Center. They will consign furniture and they get quite a bit of traffic.
Thieves Market

There is a place on Glenwood called Hunt and Gather. I think they might have a second location in Five Points, but I have only been to the Glenwood store.
Hunt and Gather - Antiques, Furniture and Art in Raleigh NC

Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Peterson's in Cary...I know it's not wake forest as you'd asked. And there is Shelton's on W Morgan St downtown.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM

258 posts, read 673,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
You'll get more selling it yourself than through a consignment store. Why not try Craigslist instead of complaining about it?

Well if you read the post thoroughly you would've seen that I DID post on CL already. After all the lowball offers of $50 -$100 is why I stated it's a joke.

It's not like I am selling something used and I have an inflated value. The chair retails for $499...I asked $300 (thats $200 off for the slow) and I was getting responses for about $50 and $100. Again the chair was brand new and has been at my house for 2 whole days and is covered. so Craigslist is not working out this time, and I use it all the time.

To the others thanks...I will look up and contact them to see....

Old 07-28-2011, 12:23 PM

You won't get any more through a consigner. Just saying...they aren't going to sell it for $400 and give you $300. People aren't going to pay that for a chair from a "used" furniture store. And there's a good chance some of those lowball offers were FROM used furniture stores. I know they've bought stuff that we've sold on Craigslist before, and then relisted it days later in their consignment or used furniture store for a lot more than I was asking. I know one chair I sold, was relisited on Craigslist for several months at an inflated price by the person who bought it from me. I know for a fact that several "used furniture" stores around the Triangle make lowball offers on Craigslist ads....I've seen it firsthand.

Maybe you just have to accept that your price is a little high?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 PM

96 posts, read 477,895 times
Unfortunately, Craiglist is full of low-ballers right now. I'm trying to sell stuff too and am seeing the kind of low ball offers I'm getting.

The fact is that CL is no good for a time bound transaction. If you want it out of the house in 2 days, then its going to cost. If you can hold on to it, you can repost on CL in hopes of a better price.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:31 PM

I've bought and sold a LOT of stuff on Craigslist. It's a great free tool. But it also requires a lot of patience. At least half of the responses you get to an ad are spam. At least 40% are people who want you to give them the item for free, or next to nothing, AND deliver it 40 miles (yes, I've had these emails from people). I've been told I should donate my item because they needed it and were broke, etc. I've heard it all. But in the end, it's been a great way to unload stuff, and find a few bargains along the way.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
You won't get any more through a consigner. Just saying...they aren't going to sell it for $400 and give you $300.
Yeah that was my thought as well. You say it's cost you $500. Well the consigner is not going to sell it for that - I mean why would you buy a chair from a consigner for full price when you can buy it from the manufacturer/furniture store with a warranty/return policy for the same price?

So say the consigner sells it for $300, they probably charge you 50% (purely a guess), so you're walking away with $150 if/when it sells.

Just put it on Craigslist for $150 (firm) and be done with it!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:53 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
This Just In is a nice consignment shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary