Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:34 PM

27 posts, read 34,332 times

Advertisements

We are soon moving in to our new house and shopping for appliances - refrigerator, washer, dryer. Any tips on best buys? Any sale in progress?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 05:37 PM

40 posts, read 49,373 times
I'm doing the same thing! I've been frequenting Sears.com or local because they have 10% off certain appliances (I believe additional for Kenmore) and they have free delivery! HHGregg.com (or local) also has some decent sales happening, but they charge $79 for delivery. I don't have any previous experience with HHGregg, so maybe it's worth it.

That's all I can think of. Hope you find an awesome deal -- post if you do

Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,868,466 times
Personally, I hate being hounded by sales people when I walk into a store. I do all my research online, find who has the best deals through price comparison sites and then use a rebate site to order the item. I avoid pushy sales people, get the product that others have already reviewed well and a percentage back at the end of the month. This method doesn't work well for everyody, but it works for me.

Good luck in your search!

Old 03-17-2014, 06:07 PM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
I would go to Best Buy, Lowes, and maybe HH Gregg.

Prices are negotiable, and the stores will lower prices if they haven't done so recently.

None of them really know how to sell, so you tell them what you want and get their best price. Buy or counteroffer or walk.
They cannot let you walk to another store before they have given you their best price.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:11 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta2013 View Post
We are soon moving in to our new house and shopping for appliances - refrigerator, washer, dryer. Any tips on best buys? Any sale in progress?
I think that quality, durability and features are more important than a sale price. I strongly recommend Maytag washers and dryers. They may cost more but they are worth it.

I would also shop carefully for the features you want in a refrigerators as you have to live with them day-to-day. One decision is whether you want a side-by-side, giving you a lot of freezer space. I think a better alternate is a bottom freezer which gives you more and wider refrigerator space.

You also need to decide whether you want an ice and/or water dispenser in the door. If you have kids, there are quick open doors and drawers for frequently used items.

I'd suggest spending time looking through the features on Sears.com or one of the other big box stores. Find the features you want first, then find the brand with the best customer ratings, then find the store with the best price.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:24 PM

40 posts, read 43,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Personally, I hate being hounded by sales people when I walk into a store. I do all my research online, find who has the best deals through price comparison sites and then use a rebate site to order the item. I avoid pushy sales people, get the product that others have already reviewed well and a percentage back at the end of the month. This method doesn't work well for everyody, but it works for me.

Good luck in your search!
I agree with researching online. Some places like Best Buy will also price match. Just be careful because sometimes they will go out of their way to avoid matching. Make sure you know the policies.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 PM

621 posts, read 983,203 times
Shop around and be flexible on the model/ features. Stores tend to discount more on a model where sales projections have gone awry and excess inventory is on the books.

Usually, USPS gives you 10% off coupon from Lowe's when you file change of address. If you can't wait for a possible Memorial Day sale, hang onto your receipt and get a discount if the price falls before the merchandise return period lapses.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 PM

185 posts, read 473,288 times
Dont get the whirlpool cabrio top loading washer with the glass top.... The top will keep breaking and warranty will only replace it once!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,239,718 times
tip #1 : if you are getting a mortgage, do not incur a dime of additional debt (this includes "no interest for 12 months") until you have closed.

tip #2 : ask your Realtor if they have any deals with local appliance providers.

tip #3: as noted above, choose what you WANT (style-wise at least) and not the cheapest. That cheaper fridge can wear on your nerves in a month, and you'll be using it multiple times a day.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:20 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
tip #3: as noted above, choose what you WANT (style-wise at least) and not the cheapest. That cheaper fridge can wear on your nerves in a month, and you'll be using it multiple times a day.
On a similar note, decide whether you want a top-loading or front-loading washer and dryer. The front loaders on pedestals look great, but I much prefer the conventional top-loading machines. Decide what features you *really* need, and then choose the models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary