Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 01:47 PM

129 posts, read 433,158 times

Advertisements

Please give me some info on Daniel's Middle School in Raleigh. Apparently, my son will be bussed 11 miles to this school. We'll be living at the Preserve at Brier Creek, and I just wondered if there's anyone else out there living at that complex too, maybe, who can share their thoughts with us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 02:04 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
that is a long distance, I feel for you. However, Daniels is a magnet school so they offer more electives than other middle schools. Also their principal, Steven Mares, is WONDERFUL! He was the principal of the magnet school my kids attended before he moved over to Daniels. Set up an appointment to talk with him. He is very caring and friendly and I'm sure he can answer your questions.

If you are like me and really want your kids to have a broader range of electives to choose from, then you've really lucked out in getting sent there even though its far away. You'll have a regular neighborhood bus (when we were magnet we had to drive 11 miles to the school--no bus) and your child will go with the rest of the kids in your apartment complex. Usually when you go to a magnet school, you're one of the only if not the only family in your area who is going there.

If you've got to be sent 11 miles from home at least you are going to a school with more curriculum options and not fewer. That's one good thing about it. Call Mr. Mares. :-)

Old 12-05-2007, 03:07 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,441 times
Many kids from our elementary school will feed to Daniels and they are pretty happy about it. As noted above, it has a great principal and curriculum, and I recall that it has an international baccularate program (that feeds in to Broughton HS).

Much of the population of Daniels comes from Hayes Barton, so there is some of that "kids with lots of money" vibe to contend with.

I agree with the previous poster. The long distance is a pain, but at least the school is a good one.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Daniels was our base middle school before we moved to Cary and everyone I know whose kids went there liked it very much. There are a lot of kids with money there and that was somewhat of a social problem with some of the parents I knew. The "haves" versus the "have nots" but it's also a good lesson for all kids. We all have to deal with that in everyday life and midddle school is a good place to start.
Daniels has a very good reputation and a good curriculum. Be grateful you're being sent 11 miles there and not somewhere else!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
that is a long distance, I feel for you. However, Daniels is a magnet school so they offer more electives than other middle schools. Also their principal, Steven Mares, is WONDERFUL! He was the principal of the magnet school my kids attended before he moved over to Daniels. Set up an appointment to talk with him. He is very caring and friendly and I'm sure he can answer your questions.

If you are like me and really want your kids to have a broader range of electives to choose from, then you've really lucked out in getting sent there even though its far away. You'll have a regular neighborhood bus (when we were magnet we had to drive 11 miles to the school--no bus) and your child will go with the rest of the kids in your apartment complex. Usually when you go to a magnet school, you're one of the only if not the only family in your area who is going there.

If you've got to be sent 11 miles from home at least you are going to a school with more curriculum options and not fewer. That's one good thing about it. Call Mr. Mares. :-)
11 miles is not far away. You do understand that there are other students in the Triangle that don't even have a school that close?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:19 PM

129 posts, read 433,158 times
So I'm hearing. We're from Az. The schools there are very close to where you live. It's much different than it is there in NC. So, no, I am new to this idea of not having schools close by. That's why I posted my question.

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
That may be your opinion, Desdemona. I think its far, especially when there are closer schools nearby. If I am living out in the country then I expect to go to school far away. If I am passing schools that are closer, then I think its far. Personal opinion which we are ALL entitled to.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,430 times
Default Daniels Middle

The Previous Answers Are Very True, Daniels Middle Is A Good School And Everyone That Works There Will Help You Either Find A Car Pool Or Help With Your Bussing Questions.

Just Call And Ask.....:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary