Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

It's my understanding that the permit was issued, but they were aware that it was subject to approval by the historical (whatever it's called) group that governs Oakwood.

They chose to start building instead of waiting for all the approvals.

If that is indeed the case, it's their fault for jumping the gun.

Personally, I think the house is fine. But, really. Who starts building without all the necessary approvals?

I also read that she said all their money was tied up in the house. Who does that?

Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 PM

93 posts, read 216,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It's my understanding that the permit was issued, but they were aware that it was subject to approval by the historical (whatever it's called) group that governs Oakwood.

They chose to start building instead of waiting for all the approvals.

If that is indeed the case, it's their fault for jumping the gun.

Personally, I think the house is fine. But, really. Who starts building without all the necessary approvals?

I also read that she said all their money was tied up in the house. Who does that?
This is totally untrue. Like the other local historic districts - such as Oakwood - the Raleigh Historic Development Commission requires a Certificate of Appropriateness to do exterior work – this includes new additions, and new construction - but also little things like paint colors, windows, etc.

The property owner did every possible thing they were supposed to do. They made suggested changes to their design. They explained in detail how their design related to the rest of the neighborhood, etc. Ultimately, after a very LONG meeting, the RHDC granted the Certificate of Appropriateness. Once they had this in hand, the property owner filed for building permits - which they received without question. They.Did.Have.All.Their.Proper.Approvals.

The issue is that there is an APPEAL window. They neighbor across the street chose to file said appeal - saying they should have never received the Certificate of Appropriateness to begin with. This is where all the hubbub stems.

Also, I don't think it's beyond the realm of understanding that someone would have a bulk of their money tied up in building a new home/office. In addition to all the delays this has created - where they presently live, his future office, construction fees, etc. -I imagine their legal fees to be extensive at present.

Last edited by Amaiziegrace; 03-22-2014 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Silly Phone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
There is a pretty good timeline here: 2014 Oakwood - Cherry/Gordon - RHDC - BOA

They did get all the approvals. They went before the Historic District Commission, got comments, changed some things, went back before them, got approved and then got a permit. It's just that one neighbor was still not happy and essentially circumvented the process and convinced the Board of Adjustment to do something it is not legally allowed to do.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaiziegrace View Post
This is totally untrue. Like the other local historic districts - such as Oakwood - the Raleigh Historic Development Commission requires a Certificate of Appropriateness to do exterior work – this includes new additions, and new construction - but also little things like paint colors, windows, etc.

The property owner did every possible thing they were supposed to do. They made suggested changes to their design. They explained in detail how their design related to the rest of the neighborhood, etc. Ultimately, after a very LONG meeting, the RHDC granted the Certificate of Appropriateness. Once they had this in hand, the property owner filed for building permits - which they received without question. They.Did.Have.All.Their.Proper.Approvals.

The issue is that there is an APPEAL window. They neighbor across the street chose to file said appeal - saying they should have never received the Certificate of Appropriateness to begin with. This is where all the hubbub stems.

Also, I don't think it's beyond the realm of understanding that someone would have a bulk of their money tied up in building a new home/office. In addition to all the delays this has created - where they presently live, his future office, construction fees, etc. -I imagine their legal fees to be extensive at present.
Eh. Like I said "if that is the case"

If it's not, I think they should be allowed to build their house. I have zero interest in any taxpayer money paying for this mess.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
There is a pretty good timeline here: 2014 Oakwood - Cherry/Gordon - RHDC - BOA

They did get all the approvals. They went before the Historic District Commission, got comments, changed some things, went back before them, got approved and then got a permit. It's just that one neighbor was still not happy and essentially circumvented the process and convinced the Board of Adjustment to do something it is not legally allowed to do.
Then they need to sue the neighbor and the BOA.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Then they need to sue the neighbor and the BOA.
It all goes back to that one neighbor, who ironically lives a new house. Pin this whole thing on her financially.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It all goes back to that one neighbor, who ironically lives a new house. Pin this whole thing on her financially.
Works for me. Let them fight it out.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Even if they are able to continue with the build (and I hope they are), they'd still have to live across the street from her. Not a happy ending no matter what happens.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Even if they are able to continue with the build (and I hope they are), they'd still have to live across the street from her. Not a happy ending no matter what happens.
I'd probably have to build it, then sell it and build one someplace else.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I hope they get to continue the build, as well.

As for living across the street from that neighbor, I'd do it and enjoy it! Sometimes that is all the spite you need...enjoying life makes those that are miserable, even more unhappy!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary