Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 12:20 PM

29 posts, read 84,418 times

Advertisements

My friend in the area just found out she's 5 weeks pregnant. She doesn't have health insurance.
Is there an OBGYN doctor she could see without insurance? Maybe by paying cash?
Just for the first visit.
(Her husband is a full-time student and she can only enroll as his dependent in fall)
She is getting concerned because her sister, who got pregnant about a month earlier, just suffered a miscarriage.

Blessings to those who could provide any info! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:21 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Umm, she still has a few days to sign up for Obamacare. Why doesn't she do that??????

Old 03-29-2014, 12:33 PM

556 posts, read 946,299 times
If their combined income is below 185% of federal poverty level (currently $2,944/month for their family size), then she qualifies for Medicaid for Pregnant Women.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:40 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
She can also check with Planned Parenthood in downtown Raleigh.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:02 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
I wondered why she doesn't sign up for Obmacare. No matter what will be a damn sight less expensive than paying out of pocket for a pregnancy and delivery.

At this point, the OB probably won't even see her unless she has had prior issues, and if that's the case, again - $$$. If this is a regular pregnancy, they usually won't see you till 7-8 weeks. There is nothing that can be done at this point to prevent a miscarriage in an otherwise normal healthy woman (italics for the woman about to jump in a say it took her years to get pregnant and many miscarriages and then it was discovered I had a hormonal problem...)

Old 03-29-2014, 01:08 PM

494 posts, read 816,177 times
I second signing up for the Affordable Health Care so that she gets covered for the pregnancy. It sounds like there is a good chance for complications and she may need more frequent visits.

Most doctors likely accept full payment in cash for the visit.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 PM

556 posts, read 946,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
She can also check with Planned Parenthood in downtown Raleigh.
PP in Central NC offers pregnancy tests, but they do not offer prenatal care. They will help her find an OB-GYN offering free or low cost care. PP is actually a pretty good option because they will also help her navigate Medicaid enrollment. Chances are, any OB-GYN she sees is going to have her (and help her) enroll in Medicaid. Doctors are not in the business of providing free care when there are other options for payment. If she isn't eligible for his insurance until fall, then she's going to be 8 months pregnant by the time she enrolls in her husband's plan. She needs pre-natal care in the interim.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:11 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
Medicaid for pregnant women. She will most likely qualify, it's just a matter of going and getting signed up. I'd tell her to do it ASAP as there is a backlog in NC. Insurance through the ACA is not free and prenatal care is usually supplemental and can be quite expensive. Also, if you make under a certain amount in NC, you don't qualify for supplements under the ACA.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:18 PM

750 posts, read 853,717 times
If she were my friend or if it were me, I'd do nothing til I was about 8 weeks pg then I'd go for an ultrasound scan. At 5 weeks pg it's not always possible to see anything on a scan so it would not indicate a healthy pregnancy or not. Also there is close to nothing that can be done at that stage of pregnancy to alter the outcome. So not much point spending money to be told nothing much. Better to wait a few weeks then have a scan which will tell if it's a viable pregnancy or not.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:19 PM

750 posts, read 853,717 times
I'd take vitamins for pregnant women and stop smoking and drinking alcohol too :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary