Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:41 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,129 times

Advertisements

Hi NC residents,

It's April and the pollen nightmare is upon us.

I have a raging migraine that, if history repeats itself, will not end until mid-May.

I have met some people here who say theirs went away after a few years and others who say it's just a part of life despite living here 20+ years.

Yes, I'm glad that my eyes are no longer swollen shut and the asthma attacks are down, but I hate having headaches and only get them during this time of year.

The allergist gave nose spray prescriptions for my daughter and me. My son had surgery and is doing much, much better. I'm very grateful for that. The drops don't bother my daughter but they give me nosebleeds which I could tolerate if they helped the headache. They don't.

What have you tried over the years? I'm open to all suggestions and have no biases against alternative medicines. I probably won't sacrifice a chicken unless it's to hang over my neighbor's fence (lol) but other than that...

Help me stop this raging migraine!

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:54 AM

19,435 posts, read 27,823,287 times
I doubt it's a migraine. Allergic sinusitis can cause a headache - and a nasty one at that. But that's totally different, physiologically and treatment, than a migraine.

Seasonal Allergies, Migraines, and Sinus Headaches - weather.com

Have you tried prescription oral antihistamines? Have you tried OTC decongestants?

If, in fact, they ARE migraine headaches, then your physician might try prescribing medicines that treat migraines - those drugs that decrease the vaso-dilation of the blood vessels in your brain.

Good luck. I've had both migraines and headaches from sinus infections (not allergies, per se), and they can be very painful. Do also remember that there is some element of stress and self-prophesy with headaches. Meaning: If you expect to get one, you probably will.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 AM

I honestly don't know. It hurts above my eyes and in the back of my neck. I rarely get headaches of any type so I called it a migraine because it's a horrible, horrible head pain. By definition, it's probably not, now that you mentioned it. Thanks for clarifying.

I have tried oral antihistamines. The main problem is I take narcotic pain meds at the moment so I can't take the antihistamines this year. I'm debating if I should endure the knee pain just to have some relief. Headaches drive me bonkers.

I never expect to get a headache. I just wake up during April with my head pounding. It hurts to try to sleep on a pillow and focusing my eyes. I can probably endure most kind of pain, but I think head pain is torture. Over twenty years ago, I had surgery for four impacted wisdom teeth and I still vividly remember the associated headache. Ugh.

Thanks again!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:20 AM

19,435 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Based on what you just said, specifically that you are already taking pain killers, you really need to visit a physician (I'd say a family practice or internist - not your knee doctor) for this. Many pain killers can be safely combined with allergy medicines, like singulair (which is used for respiratory allergic problems).

Old 04-12-2014, 09:27 AM

Okay. I will call my PCP's office on Monday. I have Singular and an inhaler here. I haven't used them just because I'm not having any respiratory issues at the moment. It's just this awful headache. Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Okay. I will call my PCP's office on Monday. I have Singular and an inhaler here. I haven't used them just because I'm not having any respiratory issues at the moment. It's just this awful headache. Thanks again.
In the meantime, you might try a soothing herbal tea and a cool compress on your forehead.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
In the meantime, you might try a soothing herbal tea and a cool compress on your forehead.
Thank you a million times! I feel like my head is going to fall off. It doesn't help that my kid was sick yesterday and probably gave me bubonic plague. lol

Thanks again!

Old 04-12-2014, 11:47 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,614 times
Do you get these bad headaches every year at this time? Is this one worse than usual? I suffer migraines, but strangely pollen is not a trigger. I find that OTC Zyrtec helps a ton with the nasal congestion and itchy eyes. I take it at night because it does make me very drowsy.

I can usually manage my headaches with OTC Excedrin. For some reason this medicine *usually* works well enough so that I can at least function. There are times it does not and I have an rx for that, but often it makes me very nauseated.

Aside from that, I drink a lot of water, and do try the bottled water with the electrolytes, Smart Water. For some reason this helps me more when I have a bad headache. I also avoid my triggers, suger, sun, getting overheated.

If pollen is truly your trigger, do everything you can to eliminate it from your environment. Vacuum with a HEPA filter, try a room/air cleaner in your bedroom, wash your hair before going to bed (to get the pollen out) and wash your sheets every 3-4 days. Stay indoors as much as possible. If you have pets that go outside, be aware that they will bring the pollen inside with them.

I'm not sure how much of this you can do, but anything to reduce the pollen load in your house will help.

I hope you can find some relief. Headaches are awful.

ETA: Have you tried a Neti pot? It's a saline rinse through your sinuses. Sounds awful, but many people swear by it especially during allergy seasons. I use one when I have a bad head cold....

Old 04-12-2014, 11:59 AM

Hey Voltige,

Yes, I get them every April since moving here four years ago. That first year, the kids and I woke up with eyes swollen shut and headaches. The swelling has gone down but not the headache.

This one is not worse than others but it's more than I can stand. I have a knee injury and use a walker and complications from a surgery last October and both those pains are far less than this headache. I have a rather strong threshold for pain (according to my doctors) but headaches make me whine like a baby. ;-(

I have two HEPA vacuums (one for each floor so I don't have to carry it up and down) and do fine with the A/C running inside. It's when I have to go outside, open a window, etc. that the "evil" attacks me. I have sliding doors on my mini-van and try to minimize opening them because of the pollen attaching itself to everything.

Zyrtec doesn't help. I will try to go get some Claritin if I can get out later. I give the kids Children's Allegra and they are bouncing off the walls so I think they feel better. I only drink water and am staying hydrated. I never tried SmartWater. I usually use Emergen-C. I have also used a Neti Pot. I don't really feel "stuffy." I just have this unrelenting pounding above my eyes and at the base of my skull in back. I've avoided OTC tylenol because there is tylenol is the narcotic pain meds and I have to keep count on the acetiminophen intake due to related liver issues. I can't take ibuprofen based products because of the stomach complications. IOW, I would be "put down" if I had four legs. lol

Thanks so much for the response. I'm laying down with a compress now and will get up to make some more hot tea in a bit. I don't know why I'm such a baby about headaches. I guess because I rarely get them.

Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,989 times
MJ - Keep the windows closed and use your A/C. I just discovered that this pollen is setting off my allergies. It started with a headache and non stop sneezing. I found that when I put the A/C on in the car and closed the windows it helped dramatically.

Also I will second what JK said, I get migraine headaches but allergy headaches are different and respond to different medication. Excedrin is a wonder drug for my migraines but will not work when I have an allergy headache. Since you are taking other meds it would be a good idea to check with you PCP and see what they recommend so you do not have any adverse drug interactions. There are some relatively benign allergy meds that they might recommend.

Hope you get some relief soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary