Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I'm glad your kitty is doing better now. That's wonderful news.

My kiddies are in a year-round school. If I can switch them to a track that's off in April I could stock up on groceries and NEVER open the door in April AT ALL.

I slept on the couch last night and my headache has lessened. I don't know if it's the ceiling fan in here or if pollen got in my bedroom somehow or both. My bedroom is moved to the front of the house due to my knee injury so it's the first room off the front door. I think I'll work on washing everything and disinfecting all the furniture in there today.

Thanks again.

Try doing sinus irrigation. Not with the over the counter sprays either, you need to rinse not spray. I had sinus headaches for years, so bad would make me sick to my stomach. A fabulous ENT doc taught me the simple cure/relief. Get an infant bulb syringe, sterilize it. Mix 1 cup of lukewarm water and about 1 tsp of sea salt. Irrigate each nostril until the water drains out each side of your nose. Do this a few times a day. If you want to make sure it is sterile, the pharmacist can give you a large bottle of saline solution. I prefer to make it at home, lukewarm or tepid. Hope this helps.

If you have a forced warm air heating system, it will do a world of good to have a built in humidifier, and importantly, have an electrostatic air cleaner installed also. Best thing we ever did for a comfy house and comfy sinuses, year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Try doing sinus irrigation. Not with the over the counter sprays either, you need to rinse not spray. I had sinus headaches for years, so bad would make me sick to my stomach. A fabulous ENT doc taught me the simple cure/relief. Get an infant bulb syringe, sterilize it. Mix 1 cup of lukewarm water and about 1 tsp of sea salt. Irrigate each nostril until the water drains out each side of your nose. Do this a few times a day. If you want to make sure it is sterile, the pharmacist can give you a large bottle of saline solution. I prefer to make it at home, lukewarm or tepid.
Good suggestion. I suffered years from sinus woes and headaches before I finally tried sinus irrigation. My weapon of choice is the netti pot.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:14 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
As one who has had migraines for 35 years, I'm sure that what you're experiencing is an allergy of some sort, and not a migraine. A migraine is triggered by a blood vessel in the brain that constricts and then dilates quickly, causing visual auras in my case, and sometimes is followed by a blaster of a headache, the likes of which is unlike any other kind of headache, and I'm somewhat a headache connoisseur.

That said, sinus and allergy related headaches are nothing to sneeze at! (Had to do it!) at any rate, you'll probably have much better luck fighting them once you have a correct diagnosis. Hope you feel better soon.
Hi BlueCat,

You're right. It's not a migraine. I was thinking "worst headache ever" but it's definitely allergy related. I moved to the couch that night, washed all the bedding and turned on the A/C. I still have a slight headache but not the "brain is jiggling" kind like I did when I posted.

I hope you've been able to get some relief from your migraines.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Try doing sinus irrigation. Not with the over the counter sprays either, you need to rinse not spray. I had sinus headaches for years, so bad would make me sick to my stomach. A fabulous ENT doc taught me the simple cure/relief. Get an infant bulb syringe, sterilize it. Mix 1 cup of lukewarm water and about 1 tsp of sea salt. Irrigate each nostril until the water drains out each side of your nose. Do this a few times a day. If you want to make sure it is sterile, the pharmacist can give you a large bottle of saline solution. I prefer to make it at home, lukewarm or tepid. Hope this helps.

If you have a forced warm air heating system, it will do a world of good to have a built in humidifier, and importantly, have an electrostatic air cleaner installed also. Best thing we ever did for a comfy house and comfy sinuses, year round.
I have a Neti Pot. I have to confess that sometimes I'm afraid to use it because I end up making myself congested if I have any kind of swelling deep in the nasal passages. I have a personal inhaler (the kind you put your nose and mouth over to inhale the steam) which helps sometimes, but didn't help when it was really bad a few days ago.

It's cooling off a bit this week here so I'll try the neti pot again since my sinuses aren't as swollen. I have some distilled water on hand for my CPAP and some sterile water too. I don't know what kind of A/C system we have, but it does help to run it when the pollen count is high.

Thanks for the tips!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Good suggestion. I suffered years from sinus woes and headaches before I finally tried sinus irrigation. My weapon of choice is the netti pot.
Glad you're feeling better.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
I have a Neti Pot. I have to confess that sometimes I'm afraid to use it because I end up making myself congested if I have any kind of swelling deep in the nasal passages. I have a personal inhaler (the kind you put your nose and mouth over to inhale the steam) which helps sometimes, but didn't help when it was really bad a few days ago.

It's cooling off a bit this week here so I'll try the neti pot again since my sinuses aren't as swollen. I have some distilled water on hand for my CPAP and some sterile water too. I don't know what kind of A/C system we have, but it does help to run it when the pollen count is high.

Thanks for the tips!
I never could use the neti pot…I felt like I was drowning. My husband swears by a neti bottle which is an easier way to do a sinus irrigation similar to what QuilterChick mentioned. Here is the bottle we have:

When he gets a really bad headache from his sinuses I will wet a washcloth and heat it in the microwave. He puts the whole thing over his face and breaths in. He says he can hear the crackling and then relief. You may need to reheat and do this for about 5 minutes.

I have been plagued with headaches for years. When I have a terrible one I use a combo that was recommended to me by a dentist years ago for stronger pain relief. Take 1 motrin and 2 tylenol at the same time. It can be generic medicine. Just do not exceed the daily dose for either one. This is the strongest and best pain relief I have found for an over the counter medicine. Just make sure you can take it if you are taking allergy medicines.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:40 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Here is something to check into:
Breathe Easier

http://www.edensgarden.com/essential...8#.U00MxVw1bwI

I haven't tried those but I make my own cleaning products and my stepdaughter uses this:
Cleaning Blend

Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:

Thanks for the tips!

You're welcome. According to the doctor, the relief is from the salt in the water and the syringe gets the rinse up into your sinuses. If you put your face in the ocean while swimming, you will notice it clears your head because salt water is cleansing and healing. Wishing you well.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:35 AM

YoungLisa, that's cool. I use aromatherapy all the time. I will try that. I'm not good with nasal sprays/drops for some reason. I usually get too dry and end up with massive nose bleeds. I had to be cauterized in one nostril so it's not so bad now but I prefer not to randomly bleed in public. ;-)

QuilterChick, I almost drowned myself when I was learning how to use the NetiPot (just like I slipped myself a Mickey the first time I made a Hot Toddy as an adult. lol). I think the issue is I get swollen high up and then a little bit of liquid gets trapped so I feel stuffier at the end of it. I usually can't tell when I'm swollen internally because I don't get the sneezing/congestion part with the seasonal allergies.

Thanks to all for your help! With all this pollen and rain the flowers are going to look beautiful this year!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,984 times
Quote:

I think the issue is I get swollen high up and then a little bit of liquid gets trapped so I feel stuffier at the end of it. I usually can't tell when I'm swollen internally because I don't get the sneezing/congestion part with the seasonal allergies.
I have trouble with the neti pot too. I'd love to use it daily during allergy season but I can't. It gives me severe ear pain if I use it for anything except the worst head cold. I use it sparingly and very gently. It works well at these times, but anything else is just too painful. It's a great aid but not for everyone all the time, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary