Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 AM

178 posts, read 583,365 times

Advertisements

We are taking a pre-scouting trip to the area, staying at LaQuinta Cary, and only have a few things on our list to do.

---Raleigh's Museum of Natural Sciences

---Durham's Museum of Life Science

---And one outdoor place we want to go: Cary's Hemlock Bluffs. Which is right near the hotel.

It will be Earth Day, so I was hoping that someone could give us some events that went along with that??? Outdoors-planting trees, etc....I already get the fliers, and check the websites, but here is the criteria for us:

We will be traveling down with 2 dogs, who will stay in the hotel, so no longer than 2-4hours events at a time. We will be out and about with 2 very small kids and no room to bring the stroller in the car!!!! They are barely 2 yrs and 4 yrs old. So this is going to rule out anything like shopping, car congested downtown areas, long lines, sitting still for any period of time-eating out that's not truck-fast or order outside type places will be fine. It will also rule out anything later than 8pm!

I need suggestions of places to eat, kids parks and playgrounds, other things to do, outdoor music that's free (like free to come and go, if they don't like it, not a sit down event). The kids like to move around, and explore, but they do have some attention span, do fairly well in crowds, and listen well-like a spokesperson talking about birds or something like that. We love nature stuff, and outdoor things, and according to the current weather forecast it is supposed to be 60-70's and sunny-ish.

During this trip, we hope to get a feel of the areas that we want to live in, but we won't be really doing a location-scouting trip until my husband is hired, and then we will come back down. He works at a major pharmaceutical company here, and it's second location is actually in North Durham. However, most of the other similar companies that have promising job offers are in the Triangle Park area, and there is one in Holly Springs, and one in Clayton. So we just want to do quick drive-thu's, or stop by's in those areas that would be an easy commute as well-FV, Holly Springs, Apex, Willow Springs, Clayton etc. And then after the hire, we can do a more thorough search. (so everything I listed to look for, in those areas are fine too) Or suggestions about the 3 things I listed already.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 AM

580 posts, read 712,209 times
Pullen Park.
Also, you will be around the corner from Waverly Place. Check out their website to see if they have any concerts going on when you will be in town. There is also a cute, little playground surrounded by shops there (a few restaurants too). Whole Foods is there so they might have some Earth Day stuff going on too.

Also, Kids Together Park (Cary Pkwy and Tyron- a few minutes from you) is a great park.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,230 times
That is Art of Cool weekend in downtown Durham and there are many free concerts associated with that, that will be outside and fun. Festival Highlights | Art of Cool Festival: April 25th & 26th, 2014 #AOCFEST2014

Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I would probably do the Marbles Museum in Raleigh rather than Life and Science in Durham. I LOVE the Life and Science Museum but your 2-year old is on the young side, it's a very big museum which cannot all be done in a day unless you go at opening and leave at closing, and it's much pricier than Marbles. Marbles is perfect for a 2- and 4-year old. It's much smaller and more manageable. It's only $5 to enter so you don't feel bad if you stay for 2 hours and leave.

I would wait to do Life and Science when you move here and can devote more time and not during an already hectic week.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:21 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I would probably do the Marbles Museum in Raleigh rather than Life and Science in Durham. I LOVE the Life and Science Museum but your 2-year old is on the young side, it's a very big museum which cannot all be done in a day unless you go at opening and leave at closing, and it's much pricier than Marbles. Marbles is perfect for a 2- and 4-year old. It's much smaller and more manageable. It's only $5 to enter so you don't feel bad if you stay for 2 hours and leave.

I would wait to do Life and Science when you move here and can devote more time and not during an already hectic week.
I was going to say the same thing, especially with your 2-4 time limit because of the dogs.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:33 PM

360 posts, read 993,165 times
Duke Gardens https://gardens.duke.edu/

Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 PM

214 posts, read 695,391 times
Ditto on Marbles instead of Raleigh natural sciences. Kids Together as mentioned above is a very nice park very near your hotel but it is being renovated and might not be open during your visit. Pullen park is great but can get pretty crowded on the weekends. The durham museum is also great, but it would be very hard to get there and back in 2-4 hours. With the long drive there is no way you could see even half of it in that time frame.

However there are many dog sitters in the area that could watch your dogs during the day so you would have much more freedom to see everything.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Marbles Museum, Pullen Park, Bond Park.

There's plenty of doggie day care in this area, if you think that might be an option.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 AM

Thank you guys, that's great info! So Marbles is in Raleigh? I will do that one then, and wait on Durham until we are there!

What town are Pullen and Bond park in? Cary? Also heard mention of Marla Dorrel Park??? Is that at the same place as Friends together?

Also, if the Durham M of Life Science is that far away (according to maps it would only be 35-45 min from Cary??) Would that also go for Duke Gardens? That was another place on the list-not sure how kid friendly??? (with out a stroller this time)

Also, as far as the outdoor trails/hiking at Hemlock bluffs, there was mention of Stevens Nature Center. Is that more informatory, or actually a place to look around at stuff? And is that part of or just next to-Swift Creek Bluffs Nature Preserve? (or is that just a wooded area) And would either of those be dog walking friendly?

Any thing else we should see in Cary for our short trip? Anything in Holly Springs as far as parks etc?

Also, I don't know why, but I am really drawn to see Mineral Springs in Fuquay-Varina. Can you actually drink the water?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 AM

Also, Also, Also, Also! haha Doesn't even sound like a word anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary