Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 08:32 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times

Advertisements

I want a year-round school and we're interested in moving to this area. If you know these schools and their reputations, please share! Also, one of my children is ADHD and in a special ed/IEP now at current school. Do you know if West Lake offers good support for kids who struggle academically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 10:32 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
My neighborhood is zoned for West Lake Elementary & Middle School. My daughter will go there next school term. Everyone I have asked about the school have a lot of good things to say about it.

The only negative thing I can think of is that our neighborhood isn't served by buses therefore many parents hate the afternoon pickup because they have to sit in line so long and the parents start lining up an hour before school lets out.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:43 AM

33 posts, read 118,876 times
I just recently moved into the area. I have a daughter who has ADHD/Asperger and she attends West Lake Middle School. We have been pretty satisfy so far. She is mainstreamed into a regular classroom. She has support for Language Arts and Math. In Science and Social Studies there are no support in the classroom but the Special Educator who is in her LA and Math class does talk with the other teachers and they discuss what type of modificiation she might need to complete the assignments. They also let her take tests in a separate classroom if she needs it. They also offer CA class, which is meant to help a student with extra instruction if need. She also attends a social skills group twice a week for socialization during lunch.

So all in all, we are pretty happy with the support we get from the teachers as well as the Special Educator who works with her. She came from a private school for children with ADHD to this school and has transitioned very well. She seems to really enjoyed her teachers and classmates.

We lived in the Park at West Lake, so as KellyCrash says there isn't any bus service to the school. I personally drive my girls to school but I do see a lot parents and kids walking. They usually have a police officer directing traffic on West Lake Road and as well as a lot of school personnel to help with the crosswalks inside the school grounds.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to pm me.

Thanks,

Old 12-08-2007, 01:32 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
Default Why don't all schools have bus service?

Was curious why?

Old 12-08-2007, 02:14 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
Was curious why?
They do....except for those that live close to the school (The actual distance varies a bit due to hazzards (having to cross major highways, tracks etc etc) but it's normally around a mile).

Old 12-08-2007, 03:07 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
We just live too close to the West Lake schools. They're in our neighborhood! But honestly doesn't matter how close we live to the school, my 4 year old is NOT going to be walking alone to or from kindergarten. I'll either walk or drive her myself. We had bus service in the neighborhood for awhile, but they completed some sidewalks and took the service away.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,492 times
My daughter attended West Lake Elem in Kindergarten and it was a disaster. The office staff rarely smiled, the principal was not easy to communicate with (and did not hire a good teacher), and the teacher was working an additional 35 hour a week job on top of her teaching job! Unbelievably enough, the principal still didn't fire her. If you would like to know which teacher, you can email me [mod]removed email addy, it's in profile[/mod] (you can always ask for a different teacher). As long as you don't have any problems with your teacher, then you probably will be fine. We just had a nightmare of an experience and it had the "trickle down" theory as part of it. I would highly recommend Holly Grove Elementary though. It's fantastic, everyone's friendly and smiles, and the prinicipal is very nice and communicative.

Last edited by da jammer; 01-03-2008 at 05:00 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM

166 posts, read 663,879 times
West Lake MS can be very cutthroat with the teenaged fashion divas. THere is at least one excellent teacher in every grade on every track, and at least one that is horrible and stupid and lazy. If your child is interested in playing sports, they had better be darn good or they won't make it onto a team, the sports scene is very competitive. They do a good job isolating the 6th graders to try to keep them from being exposed to the delinquent antics of the 8th graders, so that is a bonus. The front desk people are generally busy and unfriendly, or at least indifferent. It is clean, and well maintained compared to many other middle schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary