Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:39 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I was going to Hamlet the other day. Speed limit was 55 and the car in front of me was running maybe 50 on a four lane road. I got into the left lane and was about to pull back in front of the car when some ass all but ran up on me. I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could shooting him the bird at the same time. I watched as he passed me and it was a deputy sheriff from somewhere in South Carolina. Idiot!
Last time I got tailed by an idiot driver I threw my hands up (like "WTF"). THen he threw on his blue lights and pulled me. He thought I was flipping him off. I was able to talk my way out of it, but he raised the point that he could have been a thug wielding a gun instead of a cop. He let me go without a ticket. I don't flip people off (very often) anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 10:36 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I was going to Hamlet the other day. Speed limit was 55 and the car in front of me was running maybe 50 on a four lane road. I got into the left lane and was about to pull back in front of the car when some ass all but ran up on me. I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could shooting him the bird at the same time. I watched as he passed me and it was a deputy sheriff from somewhere in South Carolina. Idiot!
Or you could just move over. But that's right, slamming on your brakes and flipping him the bird is way safer.

Until cops start pulling passive, unprepared, unaware, uneducated, proud, self-centered dangerous drivers over at the same rate as speeders, I'll never believe in the value of this enforcement, beyond revenue generation. Anyone who believes this is for any other purpose (it truly has no effect on speeders) is being fooled.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Cops shouldn't tailgate.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:59 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Cops shouldn't tailgate.
And they should obey traffic rules and use their turn signals but that is hardly ever the case.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
And they should obey traffic rules and use their turn signals but that is hardly ever the case.
Yup. Unless their lights are on and they are headed to a crime scene, they should set a good example and follow the rules of the road.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:03 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Last time I got tailed by an idiot driver I threw my hands up (like "WTF"). THen he threw on his blue lights and pulled me. He thought I was flipping him off. I was able to talk my way out of it, but he raised the point that he could have been a thug wielding a gun instead of a cop. He let me go without a ticket. I don't flip people off (very often) anymore...
I stopped flipping off maniacs on the road for the exact reason the cop gave you. You never know who is in that car and if they are looking for a fight. It's sad and scary! Although, thankfully I have not encountered any aggressive (road rage) drivers since moving here, just tailgaters

Old 04-19-2014, 04:28 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Cops shouldn't tailgate.
Such is life. <insert anything> "shouldn't" <insert anything>

Slamming on your brakes when someone comes up on you is just stupid, and unsafe. The safest play is to move over, if safety truly is the drivers' concern, which certainly, of course is the goal here, right? I mean, thats why we have troopers out pulling people over, to make the roads safer right? So we, as people who support cops out there pulling people over to make the roads safer, should then proactively make the roads safer ourselves, right?

Or maybe, it's not about safety for many, it's about pride and ego. In that case, of course, slam on your brakes, or block the left lane, feel free to use "this isn't a highway" or whatever other justification you want to support you being self-centered and dangerous. ("you" obviously being generally speaking, not speaking to you as in the poster quoted).

Old 04-19-2014, 10:31 PM

353 posts, read 458,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussakka View Post
You mean there are speed limits under 60 mph here? Who knew?!?!
Not me, given the way people drive up Lake Wheeler. It's treacherous. Good thing I only have to do it maybe 4 or 5 more times and then never again.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Such is life. <insert anything> "shouldn't" <insert anything>

Slamming on your brakes when someone comes up on you is just stupid, and unsafe. The safest play is to move over, if safety truly is the drivers' concern, which certainly, of course is the goal here, right? I mean, thats why we have troopers out pulling people over, to make the roads safer right? So we, as people who support cops out there pulling people over to make the roads safer, should then proactively make the roads safer ourselves, right?

Or maybe, it's not about safety for many, it's about pride and ego. In that case, of course, slam on your brakes, or block the left lane, feel free to use "this isn't a highway" or whatever other justification you want to support you being self-centered and dangerous. ("you" obviously being generally speaking, not speaking to you as in the poster quoted).
All I said was that cops shouldn't tailgate. Or break any other rules of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary