Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:30 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times

Advertisements

Hi Sue,

I don't know how to start garlic. We used some seeds from a bell pepper to compare them to the store bought seeds. I don't recall ever seeing garlic seeds anywhere though. I LOVE beets. I haven't seen those seeds either.

I'm having trouble with the NC temps too. My kids tried to do a small garden in the ground a few years ago and it didn't produce anything. Some carrots tried to pop their heads up but nothing grew from them. I think we have a mixture of the clayish dirt here too. I like having the containers since I can move them as necessary.

My kiddies love veggies over all other foods so they are excited to see sprouts already. My father and grandmother (his mom) could grow stuff from rocks. I did NOT inherit the "green thumb" at all. My kids have always been interested in it so it must be on their DNA. lol

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Hi Sue,

I don't know how to start garlic. We used some seeds from a bell pepper to compare them to the store bought seeds. I don't recall ever seeing garlic seeds anywhere though.
Take a clove, bury it 3 inches below ground level in late Oct., water daily. That's pretty much it.

I bought cloves from Southern Exposure since I wanted a variety (bought the sampler pack). They also are a great source for gardening tips.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Wow. That's easy. Even *I* (without the green thumb) can manage that! Thanks for the link too!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:02 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,286 times
Quote:
Wow. That's easy. Even *I* (without the green thumb) can manage that! Thanks for the link too!
Yes you can! I just get garlic from Whole Foods that is organic and plant the cloves. When the flowers called "scapes" appear, use them in your food. Just don't eat one raw. Ask me how I know.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:04 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
You're welcome! Note that if you do plan on ordering from SE that you have to place your order in the summer.

PLEASE READ BEFORE ORDERING GARLIC
Be sure to read the ordering and shipping information on page 78 before you
place your garlic order. please note that certified organic garlic is only avail-able while supplies last.garlicis shipped mid-September through october. check our website Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Saving the Past for the Future in late July for additional limited quantity garlic, perennial onion, and shallot varieties.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:05 AM

You're funny. My kiddies will ask if they can try something and I will advise them that it's not a good idea but not stop them if they want to try (as long as it won't hurt them). My daughter learned that eating raw onion is NOT a good idea.

I don't know if I can wait until October now. I'm too excited to try now that I know it's so simple! ;-)

Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,286 times
Quote:
Hi Sue,

I don't know how to start garlic. We used some seeds from a bell pepper to compare them to the store bought seeds. I don't recall ever seeing garlic seeds anywhere though. I LOVE beets. I haven't seen those seeds either.

I'm having trouble with the NC temps too. My kids tried to do a small garden in the ground a few years ago and it didn't produce anything. Some carrots tried to pop their heads up but nothing grew from them. I think we have a mixture of the clayish dirt here too. I like having the containers since I can move them as necessary.

My kiddies love veggies over all other foods so they are excited to see sprouts already. My father and grandmother (his mom) could grow stuff from rocks. I did NOT inherit the "green thumb" at all. My kids have always been interested in it so it must be on their DNA. lol

Thanks again!

Find a nice horse farm, get some manure (or as my daddy used to call it , man-you-ray), and amend your soil. If it's clay root crops will have trouble. I think.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
You're welcome! Note that if you do plan on ordering from SE that you have to place your order in the summer.

PLEASE READ BEFORE ORDERING GARLIC
Be sure to read the ordering and shipping information on page 78 before you
place your garlic order. please note that certified organic garlic is only avail-able while supplies last.garlicis shipped mid-September through october. check our website Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Saving the Past for the Future in late July for additional limited quantity garlic, perennial onion, and shallot varieties.
Okay. Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the catalog and will go through it when the kids go to school this week. I use garlic for so much and can't believe how much veggies are in our area. I usually include salads in their daily lunches so it adds up. Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Find a nice horse farm, get some manure (or as my daddy used to call it , man-you-ray), and amend your soil. If it's clay root crops will have trouble. I think.
We made new friends this past Fall and they have a horse farm. They invited us out to go riding but I've been sick so haven't had a chance to take her up on it. I will ask for some when we do make it out there. I hope that won't be too weird. lol

I can't make it down to the yard because of a knee injury so we're doing all containers this year. I have some hanging planters on the deck I planned to use for herbs. I think one of those would work well for garlic too. If not, I have some big pots on the deck too.

Thanks for the tips! I'm learning so much from experienced gardeners here!

Old 04-20-2014, 12:25 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
My daughter learned that eating raw onion is NOT a good idea.
Why not? The Vidalia's will be here soon. You can eat them like an apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary