Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:08 PM

129 posts, read 179,037 times

Advertisements

North Raleigh would give you everything you want but an acre. It could happen but not very likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:16 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Is North Hills (?) in that area? I saw some gorgeous properties over that way. They probably weren't an acre, but they were much bigger lots than other ones I've seen. The biggest yards I've seen, thus far, though, have been in Clayton. I love the ranch houses with nothing but grass all around. We visited friends out there during the holidays and one of their neighbors had a full sized volleyball net in their yard. I would go out that way in a heartbeat if I could manage to find good schools and doctors out that way. Right now, I take the kids to Durham to see a pediatric dentist but can find a new PCP for them and us.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Mjd07 could you say where you live? Sounds like somewhere we should avoid!

But, you aren't looking in the Cary/Apex area, are you?

Because I was thinking you wanted N. Raleigh and mjd doesn't live anywhere NEAR North Raleigh, if memory serves.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:33 PM

Your memory is intact, RedZin. ;-) I live in Apex. We rented in North Raleigh while looking but actually purchased in Apex. It really is a nice area and has Anna's Pizza. This subdivision just isn't a good fit for our family.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I think a visit will help you decide what works well for your family. I live in a subdivision with many families and children, but it is not family-friendly, per se. All my children's friends are from school or others we've met in the area. Nobody in this area does anything, as a group, for the holidays or during the summer at all. We usually trick-or-treat with friends in their neighborhoods because our area is a ghosttown (pun intended) during Halloween. One other family puts up Christmas lights. All in all, it is definitely much different in other subdivisions we've visited in the area.

We rented (in North Raleigh) for four months before buying the house and I wish I had taken more time to really get to know the area and various smaller towns around Raleigh. Admittedly, I was exhausted and we were "power shopping" almost every weekend during that time. I do live in a pretty, safe and nice area. It's just not a good fit for our family because it's really just a bunch of people living in the same zip code versus a true family-friendly neighborhood. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20 and I encourage all newcomers to learn from my mistake and take the time you need to find a good fit for your own family.

All the best to you.
You blew it MJD, I was actually going to suggest that the OP buy YOUR house.

I think for OP's wants and budget, anything on the outskirts would be great, likely outside of Wake (or Mecklenburg if they go the Charlotte Route) county. North-East side of Lee County (Sanford), or Clayton, or up toward Creedmore or Stem. Down on the other side of Holly Springs, Fuquay.

Chatham or Orange might be a decent fit, but not conservative leaning as the other places mentioned.

Cary would be nice, but I doubt you can find 4k sq ft on an Acre of land for under $500k in Cary Proper.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Oh wait. Ignore my earlier post. Yeah, come buy my house. I live between two of the "loveliest" families in all of NC!!! On one side, we have the alluring unemployed truly "alpha" male who does nothing but smoke weed and play fantasy football (and throws his beer bottles in my yard). On the other side is "the Queen" of the USA (she is even higher than the First Lady in her own mind). Her yard is beautiful and pristine so I get to be the lucky recipient of looking at their ladder mounted on the back side of their fence. The rest of the subdivision is filled with gossipy, mean-spirited and sometimes hateful other families that make it a point to let anybody new know that we are not welcome here.

Send me an offer via DM! I'll have my attorney draw it up today!!!! LOL

ETA: The alpha male decided to get two dogs recently and they are left outside regardless of the weather (we've had some very cold days here this winter) so that side comes with two barking dogs, day and night at NO extra charge to you!!! ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary