Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:46 AM

12 posts, read 11,379 times

Advertisements

Ok it is a very kind and heart-warming story about the officers helping I understand this. But the question is being how does a living situation get so bad like this such that all the government programs and welfare etc. thats available and the absurd amount of tax money thats taken out isn't already preventing kids from going three days without food? Not to mention donate here donate there etc. America spends trillions of dollars flying soldiers to every part of the world to help this or that, but kids in Hillsborough cannot eat more than once per week unless the mother steals?

I am paying almost 40% of my total salary for taxes for this or that, where do these funds go if kids are still starving?

'My kids were hungry:' Hillsborough officers buy groceries for woman caught stealing food :: WRAL.com

Old 11-07-2017, 04:11 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Your salary goes to debt service.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:54 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
This thread is gonna turn political real fast. Moderator - moving it might be a good idea. . .

Actually, Mike, this is one of the few times I'll disagree with you. And the OP is also incorrect.

Reporting of these expenditures is inconsistent because everybody had an agenda and different methods of classifying expenses. However, the largest amounts are spent on healthcare, medicare/Medicaid, and federal pensions. Debt service is around 10% and "welfare" programs are around 9%.

Ironically this article showed up in my AP feed just this morning. Silicon Valley's great wealth bypasses its working homeless - San Francisco Chronicle

Old 11-07-2017, 06:03 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This thread is gonna turn political real fast. Moderator - moving it might be a good idea. . .

Actually, Mike, this is one of the few times I'll disagree with you. And the OP is also incorrect.

Reporting of these expenditures is inconsistent because everybody had an agenda and different methods of classifying expenses. However, the largest amounts are spent on healthcare, medicare/Medicaid, and federal pensions. Debt service is around 10% and "welfare" programs are around 9%.

Ironically this article showed up in my AP feed just this morning. Silicon Valley's great wealth bypasses its working homeless - San Francisco Chronicle

No problem.
I know you are right, Ms. Accountant.

"Political?"
Meh.
But it begs the question:. "Who did the OP vote for in the last 3 or 4 elections?"

Old 11-07-2017, 06:15 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
There's a lot more to the story than portrayed by the media. The mother has made some very poor choices and continues to do so. And she knows it. The 3 children are adopted. She gets a check per child from the state each month.

I know a lot will argue with me and question how can I make such a judgement without knowing her situation. I can because I know the system.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
a very incomplete story.

I feel for the kids who are subject to her living habits, and police officers who expended $140 of their own money.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:31 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times

Old 11-07-2017, 06:52 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
An apocryphal (but heartwarming) story ...

A story is told about Fiorello LaGuardia, who, when he was mayor of New York City during the worst days of the Great Depression and all of WWII, was called by adoring New Yorkers "the Little Flower" because he was only five foot four and always wore a carnation in his lapel. He was a colorful character who used to ride the New York City fire trucks, raid speakeasies with the police department, take entire orphanages to baseball games, and whenever the New York newspapers were on strike, he would go on the radio and read the Sunday funnies to the kids.

One bitterly cold night in January of 1935, the mayor turned up at a night court that served the poorest ward of the city. LaGuardia dismissed the judge for the evening and took over the bench himself. Within a few minutes, a tattered old woman was brought before him, charged with stealing a loaf of bread. She told LaGuardia that her daughter's husband had deserted her, her daughter was sick, and her two grandchildren were starving. But the shopkeeper, from whom the bread was stolen, refused to drop the charges. "It's a real bad neighborhood, your Honor," the man told the mayor. "She's got to be punished to teach other people around here a lesson."

LaGuardia sighed. He turned to the woman and said "I've got to punish you. The law makes no exceptions -- ten dollars or ten days in jail." But even as he pronounced sentence, the mayor was reaching into his pocket. He extracted a bill and tossed it into his famous hat saying "Here is the ten dollar fine which I now remit; and furthermore I am going to fine everyone in this courtroom fifty cents for living in a town where a person has to steal bread so that her grandchildren can eat. Mr. Bailiff, collect the fines and give them to the defendant."

So the following day the New York City newspapers reported that $47.50 was turned over to a bewildered old lady who had stolen a loaf of bread to feed her starving grandchildren, fifty cents of that amount being contributed by the red-faced grocery store owner, while dozens of petty criminals, people with traffic violations, and New York City policemen, each of whom had just paid fifty cents for the privilege of doing so, gave the mayor a standing ovation.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:36 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Sometimes people don't know what's available or are too proud to ask for help. My parents had six kids, my dad was on disability after working for USPS, my mother didn't work (until they separated). We did get food stamps but my parents were too proud to take anything else, even though it would have helped us. We had enough to eat, but just barely.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:46 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpv View Post
Ok it is a very kind and heart-warming story about the officers helping I understand this. But the question is being how does a living situation get so bad like this such that all the government programs and welfare etc. thats available and the absurd amount of tax money thats taken out isn't already preventing kids from going three days without food? Not to mention donate here donate there etc. America spends trillions of dollars flying soldiers to every part of the world to help this or that, but kids in Hillsborough cannot eat more than once per week unless the mother steals?

I am paying almost 40% of my total salary for taxes for this or that, where do these funds go if kids are still starving?
I very much doubt that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary