Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Well, the name of the neighborhood is Riverwood athletic club, but the rules are the same whether you want to go into the athletic club or just use the community pool.
And I wouldnt be about paying more, but at 12/person/day or 89/month with a 150 application fee and year commitment, it isnt going to be affordable for DD and SIL to swim at all. If we could even pay the 89/month without a yearly commitment, that would be ok, but for 4 months of pool use, I dont want to pay for a full year. And I dont think they'll be living with us for a year. She's only been here 3 times and says they WILL NOT be living in Clayton. Once they have a NC address, they will be able to get some of these interviews and an apartment within a few months, I'd hope! they already have a couple interviews lined up, but no one would only do a phone interview and many wanted a NC address. So, we'll see.
I was really counting on them taking the kids to the pool during the days while I stayed home to work.
i might have to look at other options.

thanks everyone for the input.
I'm sorry this situation is causing you difficulty.

I think this is one of those situations where you wouldn't be having trouble if you'd moved into a strictly HOA community where you didn't have to buy a membership to the athletic club to get to use the facilities. There are other places around here with similar situations, so the one at Riverwood isn't unique. For example, I know that most of the neighborhoods in Preston (here in Cary) have an HOA for basics, but you need to join the country club to use the pool and athletic facilities (not true of Preston Village, which has its own pool, but true of the rest of Preston). In that scenario, the same rules you are facing would apply and nobody could use the facilities except members of the club unless certain criteria were met (I dunno what the rules are for Preston because we bought elsewhere and decided the club was too far away since we really don't golf anymore).

My point is that it sucks, but it's not exactly uncommon in a neighborhood with a club-owned instead of HOA-owned pool facility.

When we lived in Wakefield, we didn't join the country club and could not use the pool at the club. The neighborhood where we lived did have a separate pool and we could use it and had guest passes and the like, but there were separate HOA dues for it.

I hope you find a good arrangement for the summer!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:34 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,762 times
Pee in the pool. That will show them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Red: I think that is where this is different. there is not a "club pool." the HOA membership is for the community pools- It is all the same thing here.
Now, there is another nearby neighborhood where the club pool is a separate fee because you have to belong to the club. there is not a separate club membership here for a separate club pool. Our neighbors moved to another nearby neighborhood and they have a "club membership" which is not part of their HOA and they have a special pool for their fees.

stan: I'm sure kids take care of that daily. I cant tell you how many times they have to clear the pool for an hour because of more than pee!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
if it's more than pee, they are required to clear it for 24 hours!!!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Really? then the pools would never be open. They typically close it for 30-60 minutes after a "scooping"

Old 05-29-2014, 10:34 PM

it's a county regulation.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:27 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Red: I think that is where this is different. there is not a "club pool." the HOA membership is for the community pools- It is all the same thing here.
!
Sounds like they've got you boxed in there. Sucky situation. Maybe you can get them to waive the yearly commitment fee?

Old 05-30-2014, 04:28 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Really?! I've never heard of that but I don't think we ever had our pool here close. In NY at the village pool it was a common occurrence they had to close for 3 hours.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:03 AM

it's not a specific time bound thing, but the pool has to close immediately. it has to get shocked with a super high dose of chemicals and then go through the filtration system 3 times and then the water gets retested. This process takes about 24 hours.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Really? then the pools would never be open. They typically close it for 30-60 minutes after a "scooping"
If we have a feces incident in our pool we must close it, call in the pool vendor to shock the pool with chlorine, and then wait 24 hours for the chlorine to dissipate. Chlorine levels must be tested to ensure they are within acceptable levels before the pool is allowed to reopen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary