Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:51 PM

379 posts, read 518,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You didn't worry about them because you didn't know about them....but they were there.....there was just much more of a social stigma and embarrassment if the victim came forward and predators knew that society, much like you and the other poster are doing to this young man with no evidence whatsoever, would choose to blame the victim.
Where in my post do you see me blaming the victim here? I asked a simple and starightfoward question as to whether these areas are known for some sort of illicit activity. We don't know the deatils of the case, other than the facts which were written in the paper. The police at some point may have to explore that angle of the case.

Just to be clear, I did not imply that the victim brought this upon himself. If it was a sexual assault, its going to affect him for the rest of his life. Its going to affect his family too. Hopefully the police find the perpetrator and hopefully the criminal justice system deals with him in a harsh manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 08:08 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,472,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If you ask me, the entire state of affairs in our world is pretty sad. When I was a kid, I used to ride my bike everywhere, and really didn't have to worry about predators nearly as much as they do today. (or maybe stuff happened and we just didn't know about it...)
Yes...You just didn't know about it. News channels, media, etc...didn't report it like they used to. The media has an absolute field day about missing white children; I think its somewhat shameful sensationalism.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 AM

11,231 posts, read 8,322,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yes...You just didn't know about it. News channels, media, etc...didn't report it like they used to. The media has an absolute field day about missing white children; I think its somewhat shameful sensationalism.
I fully understand that, and agree. IMO, we had enough info, and had a much better balance back then of being careful, but also living our lives. I think it's horrible that kids today have to live their lives in fear. I have a child too, and I can't unknow what I know, so she does not get the same freedoms I had as a kid. I just think that is unfortunate. (Not to underscore the real problem here, is the predators.)

One thing that is different today is the internet. In addition to "knowing" more about what is going on, the internet is unfortunately a way that anonymous predators can prey on naive kids. It's scary. Again, as much as I hate that, as a parent, I can't "unknow" it.

As for the OT, it's also horrible. I would NOT let my kid ride a greenway alone, except maybe in a very busy park, like Bond Park, on a sunny Saturday, with lot's of people. Even as an adult, I don't ride the ATT all the way into some areas alone, unless in broad daylight, and at a time when there are many other users.

EDIT: I would just ad that this is a very sensitive, and emotional topic here. I don't mean to offend, and I don't think the other poster had the intent of "blaming the victim". I know it's a difficult topic, but we are all sharing our thoughts, and (I think) doing so in a respectful way. It's very difficult to put complex thoughts into a few words on the internet and not be misunderstood. It's very hard to acknowledge one idea, without understating the counterpoint that it is probably weighing against. I don't blame the victim, but I do see this as a complex problem, with more than a 2-dimensional universe of contributing factors.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,715,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Where in my post do you see me blaming the victim here? I asked a simple and starightfoward question as to whether these areas are known for some sort of illicit activity. We don't know the deatils of the case, other than the facts which were written in the paper. The police at some point may have to explore that angle of the case.

Just to be clear, I did not imply that the victim brought this upon himself. If it was a sexual assault, its going to affect him for the rest of his life. Its going to affect his family too. Hopefully the police find the perpetrator and hopefully the criminal justice system deals with him in a harsh manner.
You were asking if the teen could have been looking for a hookup for pete's sake....because yeah, every 14 year old boy plans this sort of thing online before being assaulted.

Oh, and the police released a sketch of the man that attacked the teenager.....think they would be doing that if there was something 'off' about the account as you suggested?

WAKE FOREST: Wake Forest police release sketch of sexual assault suspect | Crime | NewsObserver.com

Honestly...

Old 05-30-2014, 10:07 AM

750 posts, read 855,241 times
Which part of the story led you to believe that the boy had possibly turned up there looking for a sexual encounter? Even if he had the adult has still surely committed a crime? When you say hook up do you mean he'd made contact with someone and planned to meet him there or just that he was hanging about hoping for a sexual encounter?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:14 AM

342 posts, read 388,696 times
To answer your question, no, this area is not known for any illicit activity at all. The trail runs behind upper middle class homes and is very populated with families riding their bikes. It is a super safe area and actually not very remote since houses back up to the portion of the trail where it happened. I live in Heritage and have never once heard any rumblings of this trail being used for illicit purposes at all.

And I totally agree with Angel Kitten and Scarlet, that there is nothing about this story that makes it sound like the teen was looking for something illicit.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:42 AM

19 posts, read 30,276 times
Please let the law enforcement officials handle the investigation instead of suggesting victim may have been involved in hanky panky. It is very difficult for someone, especially a 14 year old, to report assualts such as this and this type of assuming the victim was involved is a major reason such assaults go unreported.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:52 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,715,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Which part of the story led you to believe that the boy had possibly turned up there looking for a sexual encounter? Even if he had the adult has still surely committed a crime? When you say hook up do you mean he'd made contact with someone and planned to meet him there or just that he was hanging about hoping for a sexual encounter?
Some predators do groom their victims though online communication first....and yes, that is a crime (both the initial grooming and then if it goes to a in-person meeting.)

However, there is no indication that his happened at all. It appears to be a chance encounter.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:58 AM

342 posts, read 388,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Some predators do groom their victims though online communication first....and yes, that is a crime (both the initial grooming and then if it goes to a in-person meeting.)

However, there is no indication that his happened at all. It appears to be a chance encounter.
I agree. The WF cops are very proactive and I believe that if this had been the case that the press release would have indicated as such and stressed online safety more than greenway safety. The tips in the article are all related to chance encounters.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:47 PM

379 posts, read 518,281 times
[quote=Tomitillo26;34997284]Just a question, and I truly don't want to upset anyone, but are some of these trails and forest areas used for illicit meet ups? I know the victim is 14 years old but the kids today and teenagers in particular, are a much different breed than a generation ago. The technology available allows this. I'm sure the police are going to have to discount that angle first.

To ScarletG; I'm sure you are a very concerned and caring citizen. This incident is disturbing and everyone should expect to feel safe in their community. Wake Forest is a beautiful town and the people there are really nice. Its unfortunate that these things happen but they do, even there. Nowhere in my original post did I imply that the victim was "looking" for it in any way. I asked a simple question which you took out of context. The police in their investigation have to investigate it fully and they have to explore all angles of the case. I'm glad they published a sketch of the perpetrator. Hopefully the victim will be able to identify him when they eventually catch him. It will be another monster off the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary