Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:10 PM

750 posts, read 854,125 times

Advertisements

please could someone tell me what is meant by a bonus room? is it a finished attic/3rd floor or are they 2 different rooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 05:18 PM

556 posts, read 946,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
please could someone tell me what is meant by a bonus room? is it a finished attic/3rd floor or are they 2 different rooms?
Usually a 2nd or 3rd floor room that isn't really suitable to be used as a bedroom. In our old house, the two bonus rooms were above the garage, which made them just a little too hot in the summer and a little too cool in the winter for use as bedrooms, but perfectly comfortable for TV watching and office space. I've also seen bonus rooms without windows, which makes them unsafe for use as bedrooms, but perfectly fine for a home theater or play room.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:57 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
I believe that bonus rooms are rooms without closets, and therefore not cannot be considered bedrooms. Typically upstairs. In our house it's the room over the garage. In South Carolina they were termed FROGs. Finished Room Over Garage.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:32 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Were the "basement lot premium" and the cost of pouring the basement entirely stripped from what you paid?

Too hard to tell. Original owner bought in 2003 (new construction). I bought from them in early 2012 for $15K (3%) more than they paid. Market had peaked and troughed during that time.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:43 PM

797 posts, read 3,580,982 times
That is inaccurate, at least for NC. Having a closet is not legally required for a bedroom, just 2 means of egress and at least 70 sq feet mimnum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I believe that bonus rooms are rooms without closets, and therefore not cannot be considered bedrooms. Typically upstairs. In our house it's the room over the garage. In South Carolina they were termed FROGs. Finished Room Over Garage.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:00 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
That is inaccurate, at least for NC. Having a closet is not legally required for a bedroom, just 2 means of egress and at least 70 sq feet mimnum.
"Two means of egress". What does that mean?

(I'm only familiar with AZ rules, which defined a bedroom as requiring a window, a closet and a door.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:58 AM

750 posts, read 854,125 times
Two ways of getting out of the room ie door and window

Old 06-15-2014, 05:43 AM

297 posts, read 740,749 times
My bonus room (over the garage) has a full-size, but not walk-in, closet. It's quite large, though, and giving it to one of the children as a bedroom would be the equivalent of leaving the entire estate to the first born of the manor, leaving the others destitute and having to work for a living. Or that's how it would be viewed by my offspring. So a playroom/project room it remains.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:39 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfThis View Post
My bonus room (over the garage) has a full-size, but not walk-in, closet. It's quite large, though, and giving it to one of the children as a bedroom would be the equivalent of leaving the entire estate to the first born of the manor, leaving the others destitute and having to work for a living. Or that's how it would be viewed by my offspring. So a playroom/project room it remains.
Ha ha, same with ours, it actually has 2 good size closets and built in storage under the windows. We used it as a bonus room till last year but moved our twins into it last summer. They outgrew their old room but still want to share. When and if they want to split up, that room will have to go to the girl so they can have equal size bedrooms!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:37 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
House is 30 years old? Give it another 30. Or maybe more. But it's gonna leak. Took mine over 70 years, but it finally leaked.

And they are always damp. I had a friend, when she bought her house, I said "make sure you get a dehumidifier".
"oh, no - it's dry as a bone down there!" I said "no it's not".

A year later when she was expecting another baby and she went to get her baby things out of her basement, she had to throw them all away because they were covered in mold.

Agree with the poster who said look in other areas though - if you must have one. We saw a few houses (online) in Apex that had basements when we moved here.

If you build it yourself and it's not walk-out you'll need an egress window. We had to put one in our NY house. Makes it feel more above-ground.
My roof will leak in 30 years. Does that mean I shouldn't get one?

I stored lots of items in my basement and nothing was covered in mold. Control the humidity and you wont have issues. Same goes for any other area in your home. Crawl space, attic, shower. If there is moisture there will be mold, but if you take the steps to prevent it you wont have issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary