Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:03 PM

10 posts, read 26,455 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all of the information that you provided.

I am a 43 year old single women looking to move to the downtown area of Durham by June 2008. I am looking for an historic home situated in a walkable neighborhood. I have no problem being a part of the gentrification process ( I did that when I lived in Park Slope Brooklyn NY and Jersey City, NJ). I would like a charming home with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms between $200-$300K. I also needed diversity. Can you recommend some of the historic areas and maybe a realestate agent?

I have been to the area about 3 times because my sister and her family live in Cary. I have also been reading the threads and have seen some great pictures. I am going to be making a 3 day trip down in January. Any suggestions you can give me would be great. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym Diva View Post
...I did that when I lived in Park Slope Brooklyn NY ...
Oooooooh, Park Slope is such a lovely neighborhood!! I lived there for a year. Simply lovely.

If you find something like that in Durham, please let me know!!

Old 12-16-2007, 06:28 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
If you do a local search, you'll probably find a list of neighborhoods such as Trinity Park, and there are a bunch of others. As far as agents, I know Marie Austin realty does a lot in the downtown area.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 PM

226 posts, read 610,285 times
You'll love the downtown area and there are lots of wonderful historic homes there. Graham Marlette with Fonville Morisey specializes in older homes in that area.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:05 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
I have no real estate agent advice, but also consider Old North Durham - in fact at that price you could get a very nice historic home. It's walkable to downtown. Old West Durham is fantastic too; not walkable to downtown (bikable) but walkable to the Ninth Street district, which is Park Slope-esque.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM

10 posts, read 26,455 times
Thank you so much. I will be visiting again at the end of January I will check out each of your recommendations.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:00 PM

33 posts, read 134,014 times
I work in Durham, but do not live here. However, when my husband and I bought our first home we found a fabulous real estate agent who really I someone I recommend frequently. Her name is Christine Khoury. Her website is christinekhoury.com.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM

354 posts, read 1,218,110 times
The only downside to Durham is that you have (one of) the highest real estate taxes in the triangle. A local told me it was because of a history of really corrupt politicians in Durham that made a mess of the financial situation just to line their pockets.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
The only downside to Durham is that you have (one of) the highest real estate taxes in the triangle.
I disagree. While Durham city + county currently does have a higer tax rate, the value of homes are less in Durham and the assessed values are less than surrounding counties. My tax bill this year in Durham (city+ county) was within a few dollars (less than 20) of homes that I was looking at in Wake County. Both Wake & Durham Cos have great websites where you can check what the tax bill is for an actual property.

BTW, Chapel Hill (those that lay in the CH-C School District) have the highest taxes in the area.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:22 PM

354 posts, read 1,218,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I disagree. While Durham city + county currently does have a higer tax rate, the value of homes are less in Durham and the assessed values are less than surrounding counties. My tax bill this year in Durham (city+ county) was within a few dollars (less than 20) of homes that I was looking at in Wake County. Both Wake & Durham Cos have great websites where you can check what the tax bill is for an actual property.

BTW, Chapel Hill (those that lay in the CH-C School District) have the highest taxes in the area.
I was there when they had the elections in November. And if I remember correctly Durham was further increasing their tax rate and Wake County was looking at reducing theirs. And the new assessments increase from Durham for 2008 are in line with other areas. I know Chapel Hill has a higher tax rate but in return you get the best schools in the Triangle. Not cutting up Durham, just providing the info. Tho SW Durham is by far the best location to be in to have easy access to just about anywhere in the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary