Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:24 PM

36 posts, read 48,158 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to NC in January and are looking to build in FV Amber Ridge specifically. I'm hearing a lot of info pegging it as the next developing town in the area . My husband and I visited for the 4th of July with our children and it was cute . We were also in Cary ,apex and holly springs and they looked a bit more developed . However the properties were a bit out of budget for what we wanted to spend and wasn't happy with the lack of land for your dollar out there. We were more pleased with what fv had to offer . Of course sale agents are selling the developing boom taking place and read the town website with all the plans and even read a few NC articles supporting this . But what I want to hear is what locals and ppl familiar have to say about it , what do you see happening and where do you see it going? Feedback on schools. Neighborhood , administration ...what do you love ? What would you like to see change ? Many thanks to all who will kindly respond, just know your help is truly valued.......... Ps we are military with 4 kids and my husband will be stationed overseas a few months after we move so I really to make sure I can get as much info as possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 06:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
I've never heard anyone say that FV was the next anything.

Not to say it won't be. Right now, I figure Holly Springs and Clayton are both more popular than FV, though FV is certainly a nice town.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:43 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,579,051 times
Will it continue to develop? Yes, but the same can be said for just about every area in the Triangle (save for those already maxed out). We briefly flirted with the area when relocating but it was too remote from the city center for us. And as an aside, there are dozens of peopling relocating to the Triangle within my company (RTP based) each month and none that I know of have moved to Fuquay Varina.

I would suggest that you should find areas that fit your families profile first and foremost before looking for maximum return on your real estate investment.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Will it continue to develop? Yes, but the same can be said for just about every area in the Triangle (save for those already maxed out). .
Agree. There's only so much land available, so of course they are doing a lot of building in FV. Does that make it the "next big thing"? I guess if your definition of that is "there's a lot of houses being built" then yes. But if you want to buy there make sure it's not a hellish commute for you.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:01 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
If the husband will be commuting to Fort Bragg after his overseas tour, then FV is a good choice if you want also to be a reasonable distance from Raleigh. I have one relative who bought there for the Crooked Creek golf course, and they liked being there. You get a large house on a large lot.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
per the title, "in South Wake?" - perhaps. It's the next most southern town after you pass Holly Springs, if you think that Holly Springs' boom has already peaked.

FV is a heckuva haul to the main places (downtown Raleigh and RTP) north of there. Conversely, if your husband is stationed at Bragg, it's the most convenient place in WAKE County to live.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:23 AM

185 posts, read 473,175 times
I love living in FV and unless i'm driving to North Raleigh...its no problem. i dont mind the commute to Cary, Apex or Holly Springs at all.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:51 AM

36 posts, read 48,158 times
Thank you all- I have been reading about the capped out schools in Cary and HS and visiting I didn't mind FV' commute to RtP - my husband will surely be looking into FtBragg once he retires and I will be looking into employment in Raleigh ( government) . I heard that some of the other towns are over built and congested and naturally the population will trickle down .We attended the 4th of July celebration in down Raleigh so I kind of experienced the distance on the road . We drove back and forth Thursday Friday and Saturday - I find 30 minute drive to work to be average IMO . I though everyday errand shops were within 15min in holly spring which is ok . I have 5 children 4 boys and 1 girl and having yard space is very important . So I'm looking for some feedback on quality of life as well , anyone know of amber ridge vs Alston ridge ? What other communities would you suggest for large families ?

Old 07-08-2014, 11:10 AM

633 posts, read 1,165,363 times
Where are you relocating from? A big city or small town?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:19 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,824 times
Bear in mind that a commute today is not what it will be next year and certainly nothing like it in 5 years. You will commute past or thru high growth areas of Holly Springs, Apex, Cary. I work with ppl who live there and they are not happy about their commute to Durham which is maybe 10 minutes past the research triangle park. If you think you might only live there a couple of years or so, I would look carefully at how long it takes homes to sell there. I have know a couple of ppl who had a hard time selling their home and it didn't appreciate. This might not now be the case but do check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary