Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times

Advertisements

Would it be a worthwhile investment for someone that pays $100/month in the summers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Would it be a worthwhile investment for someone that pays $100/month in the summers?
It can be worthwhile for almost anyone. If you don't use much power, you won't need a very big array so it will be less costly to install and pay back just as fast. You have to run the numbers to find out.

Another thing to think about long term is converting more of your gas stuff over to electric and doing a larger array - so you can save more money and reduce gas usage. Or, if you ever plan to have a plug-in electric car in the future, that's another thing to consider.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
It can be worthwhile for almost anyone. If you don't use much power, you won't need a very big array so it will be less costly to install and pay back just as fast. You have to run the numbers to find out.

Another thing to think about long term is converting more of your gas stuff over to electric and doing a larger array - so you can save more money and reduce gas usage. Or, if you ever plan to have a plug-in electric car in the future, that's another thing to consider.
I think the decision also comes down to how long you live in the house, isn't it and how much sunlight do you get.
I wonder if there is a company out there that gives you a free estimate of energy savings and installation/maintenance cost for the use of solar energy.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
I think the decision also comes down to how long you live in the house, isn't it and how much sunlight do you get.
I wonder if there is a company out there that gives you a free estimate of energy savings and installation/maintenance cost for the use of solar energy.
Of course - this is part of "running the numbers" for any particular installation

Any company who does solar installations will include these estimates as part of an installation quote.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
My own system is a little more expensive but in the long run better I think .
I am primarily on a battery system.
Regardless of solar batteries are my power source so that when the grid is down I'm not.
Several things maintain my battery system ;
1. the grid , I use power from the grid to charge the battery bank when the grid is up and it only supplements the system.
2. solar, I have a number of different solar panels all making a contribution ,purchased at different times and models and sizes.
3. wind, though I don't have significant wind here , should I move the mill will produce up to 500 watts in significant wind.
4. small engine alternator, This is an emergency tool for charging the battery bank in the event the grid is down and it is winter time and or at night and the demand is greater than normal due to some catastrophic event.
5. Gas engine driven generator 4500 watts , maintaining larger refrigeration units during a severe event.
6. diesel 6500 watt, for running equipment and working the shop doing emergency repairs on equipment.
7. 200 amp welder generator. Welding and running the shop tools.
My very first battery was a gell cell because it was indoors , eventually I worked at a marina and got cast off 12 volt deep cycle batteries that had a little life left .
And eventuallyI graduated to 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries and that's the most popular in the industry.
The options for charging a battery bank are broad and inverters can be used to make AC electricity for appliances that need it to some degree.
The little engine alternator is the most efficient means of making electric power into batteries because ALL the work the gs is spent from by this means is stored ,unless used right away. AC generators run making power that is not stored and when the generator is off the power is off as well.
My experience being poor ,fuel spent on a generator and fuel spent on the small engine alternator for charging batteries or making power altogether to some degree , the alternator is more efficient.
Remember my system is primarily battery. secondarily everything that charges the battery system.
A grid tie solar system does not allow one to use battery back up , so when the grid is down your down too. Unless you alter the grid tie independently . Installers generally won't do this.
The solar system must be absolutely disconnected from the grid during this operation mode.
If I did that, I would make it manual operation only, so that false starts, spikes, and brown outs, lightening, EMP, on the grid, do not do damage my system.
My primary reason for doing this was that we lived in the mountains where the power went out from time to time and there were spikes and lightening and every thing, and I did not want to subject my new computer investment to those failures because the power company doesn't cover those failure.
Guarantees are useless in a storm.
Basically I made my own UPS super size ,and eventually added solar to supplement the power.
With the advent of LED lighting the battery system is the cat's purrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
With an inverter you can run all your home lighting normally CLV and florescent are more efficient than incandescent AC or DC.
In stead of one inverter for every thing, I have several .
I would recommend one per breaker and match the potential load .
If you stick with this you will become more schooled on electricity than you ever dreamed but that's good it's to your own advantage .
By the way , Radio Shack sells a good AC/DC multi meter amp probe perfect for this work.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 AM

Batteries and an inverter is in my long term plan but not until batteries are cheaper. I have a natural gas generator for backup power and we rarely lose grid power, but I do agree that not being able to use solar when the grid is down (without your own internal battery backup and inverter setup) stinks.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:39 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,914,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
My own system is a little more expensive but in the long run better I think .
I am primarily on a battery system.....
Wow it sounds like your out in the "Post-Oaks" running things on Battery Power.

With our grid system, pay for the power we pull and sell back to the electric company we produce. The amount of power pull/produced is variable due to how much is used in the home. Also the seasons - winter less / summer more daylight (including storm and cloudy days).

Before solar paid $2880 yearly, over the last year paid $840.The end result is analyzing the final cost vs savings. We have become more energy minded, turning off lights and unplugging things not used.

Constantly reminding my 19yr old son to turn off his computers. This weekend we are building a Gaming Computer -the video graphics card with two large fans. Thinking about my $10 electric bill was a thing in the past..........lol!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary