Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Time is $ for me. I would rather hire painters to do my investment properties or personal house because it speeds everything up. Quicker it is done, and done well, quicker your rents your charge can be realized.
I am not faulting the OP for hiring someone. I recommend Hansell Painting. I received estimates from several companies. Their prices were fair, work was great and customer service was great. We requested a color that for some reason Sherwin William mixed differently for Hansell then they did for us. I showed the supervisor the difference in the colors, he immediately offered to re-paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I hear ya. I felt the same way. I did do my two story foyer and winding staircase and got the lines perfect. That took a little more time since I needed to get a leg leveler for one side of my ladder.

People are afraid of the two story rooms. I'm not sue why. Quoted $1200 for this main room, saved $960 with my paint purchase DIY took me 3-4 hours.

Talking to family the price for painting in this area is much more expensive than other parts of the country.
Attached Thumbnails
cost for interior painting-paint.jpg  

Old 07-25-2014, 02:28 PM

663 posts, read 1,618,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I hear ya. I felt the same way. I did do my two story foyer and winding staircase and got the lines perfect. That took a little more time since I needed to get a leg leveler for one side of my ladder. I didn't need to paint the baseboards or crown molding since it was a new house thank God.
How about asking a painter to do the (interior) trim & crown molding work alone? I think I can do the dry walls myself slowly room by room.

On a side note, how about costs on exterior painting (including trim)? Is that more expensive.

I have hardi-plank siding which is in good shape. Appears to me that the white paint on all the exterior trim is whats going to need attention first. Does painting the trim alone make sense?

Old 07-25-2014, 04:17 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
I have hardi-plank siding which is in good shape. Appears to me that the white paint on all the exterior trim is whats going to need attention first. Does painting the trim alone make sense?
Heck yes it makes sense. If the paint on the wood trim appears to need painting then paint it! As soon as moisture penetrates the paint the wood will rot increasing repair cost. Always stay on top of exterior painting!! Hardiplank siding won't rot so other than aesthetic reasons no big deal if the paint is fading.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:34 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
How about asking a painter to do the (interior) trim & crown molding work alone? I think I can do the dry walls myself slowly room by room.

On a side note, how about costs on exterior painting (including trim)? Is that more expensive.

It will cost just as much to do the trim as it would just to do the walls. This is what several painters told me. Trim work takes a lot of time, all brush work. I was told that that the builders typically use semi gloss on the trim and if it is in good shape then all it takes is a good scrubbing to make it look new and clean again. I was advised by a couple of painters to try this to save money. Sometimes it is just the baseboards that take a beating from a vacuum cleaner, just painting those and then cleaning all the door frames, etc is an option.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:14 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
I think most umbrella policies would cover this sort of thing.
Nope. Specifically excluded. Your insurance company does not want to take on insuring every worker who comes into your home. Why would any company buy insurance is a homeowners or umbrella policy covered them?

Old 07-26-2014, 07:47 AM

75 posts, read 173,277 times
When we moved to our house, I paid $1600 to paint part of our house. This was excluding the paint but the painter had a Sherwin Williams account due to which I saved a lot while buying the paint. The guys painted all rooms (~2300 sqft) in just 1 day and I was happy with their work. I don't know if they belonged to a painting company or carried insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary