Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:32 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderHome View Post
Have tried Connect it (cat6 cable) but they don't have shielded stuff in Cat6 and Intrex has some networking stuff but again not shielded. Home Depot does not have Cat6 stuff..
Just curious - what are you doing that you need shielded Cat 6 cable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 03:37 PM

650 posts, read 930,122 times
I used to use a telephone cabling company for making things like cross cables and the such. Small office strip next to the Railroad tracks off of Powell Drive. Powell goes between Western Blvd and Hillsbough Street upside of Buerk's hardware across the street from fairgrounds. A x-cable would cost me $8.00 vs a prepackaged one at CompUSA.

I also have a home security guy pulling cable for me now as I place digital mfp copiers in office environments. PM me if you want further info.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:23 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Quote:
I have placed several orders to Monoprice (Cat6 shielded bulk cable, rj45, in-wall speaker cable, HDBaseT distribution, tools) but unless you want the expensive fast shipping, it is a 6-7 day ship. Have tried Connect it (cat6 cable) but they don't have shielded stuff in Cat6 and Intrex has some networking stuff but again not shielded. Home Depot does not have Cat6 stuff. Will try TigerDirect.
Most standard network installations do not require shielded cable...it's not common even in commercial environments which may also explain why you're having a hard time finding it. What is your specific application where you must use shielded cable? I've bought network supplies from a distributor off ACC Blvd in Brier Creek but I can't recall the name of the company at the moment since it was a while back, however there are many suppliers in the Triangle area to choose from.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:41 PM

621 posts, read 982,549 times
I think Best Buy is the closest to Frys in this area.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:51 PM

57 posts, read 70,351 times
I am installing some wire for HDBaseT transimission of 1080p video signals from a media closet in the basement to other rooms in the house. Monoprice, among others, suggest shielded cat6 to ensure smooth transmission of the data intensive stream.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 PM

222 posts, read 404,015 times
Shielded helps with interference. Just don't run your wiring next to things that cause interference... CFLs, flouresecnt lights, too close to existing power lines, etc.

Hell, make it REALLY easy and buy ethernet over powerline... comes in 500mbps now a days and does a hell of a job. Your 1080p streams don't exceed 500mbps... or even 100mbps more than likely. Give it a shot and you probably will put all of this "running cable" talk to bed.

Check this out: Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps: Computers & Accessories

Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,584,994 times
Poweline av stuff works OK expect 70 to 80 mbps. Interference is almost a guarantee.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:05 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Quote:
I am installing some wire for HDBaseT transimission of 1080p video signals from a media closet in the basement to other rooms in the house. Monoprice, among others, suggest shielded cat6 to ensure smooth transmission of the data intensive stream.
I think shielded cable is really going a bit overboard and adding unecessary cost to your project. Shielded cable requires a proper shield ground termination connection on both ends of the cable in order to be effective, so if your associated networking and video equipment does not provide proper grounding to support using shielded cable, then the cable shielding is basically useless at that point.

You might want to spend some time reading this site:

FAQs | HDBaseT - A Standard of the Future, Today

Specifically:

Q: Are there any special connector or cabling requirements that differ from existing Ethernet LAN products?

A: No, this is what makes HDBaseT so unique and easy to deploy. HDBaseT utilizes the existing Ethernet infrastructure meaning adopters can use existing CAT5e/6 LAN cables, Ethernet in-wall passive connectors and RJ45 Ethernet jacks, while electronics manufacturers also utilize the existing RJ45 connector.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:00 AM

222 posts, read 404,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Poweline av stuff works OK expect 70 to 80 mbps. Interference is almost a guarantee.
The new stuff is WAY faster. I used to despise the idea of running over powerline, but since I started using it, it works AMAZINGLY well. As long as your home uses a single breaker box, and the wiring is not 40+ years old, you should be perfectly fine. I've got 14GA wires in the walls, and I get 300+mbps using a 500mbps kit. More than enough to power his needs.

Also - do you use it? I find most people who discredit it either do not use it or have not used it in the last 8-10+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I think shielded cable is really going a bit overboard and adding unecessary cost to your project. Shielded cable requires a proper shield ground termination connection on both ends of the cable in order to be effective, so if your associated networking and video equipment does not provide proper grounding to support using shielded cable, then the cable shielding is basically useless at that point.

You might want to spend some time reading this site:

FAQs | HDBaseT - A Standard of the Future, Today

Specifically:

Q: Are there any special connector or cabling requirements that differ from existing Ethernet LAN products?

A: No, this is what makes HDBaseT so unique and easy to deploy. HDBaseT utilizes the existing Ethernet infrastructure meaning adopters can use existing CAT5e/6 LAN cables, Ethernet in-wall passive connectors and RJ45 Ethernet jacks, while electronics manufacturers also utilize the existing RJ45 connector.
+1. At the very least, don't use shielded. It's huge overkill for the project. And for $30-40, it's a fool's errand (imo) to not consider ethernet over powerline. You can return it if it doesn't fit the bill.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
If you need stuff locally, Intrex Computers has 4 or 5 locations around the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary