Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times

Advertisements

I've gone on Zillow, but it only shows which houses are currently for rent (available). I'm trying to get a picture of how many house are rentals, vs owner living there, and even better, trying to put my finger on the trend of my neighborhood (Highlands).

Any advice on how to tell? (Mostly curiosity, but also wanting to keep a finger on my investment/house).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 01:36 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,590,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I've gone on Zillow, but it only shows which houses are currently for rent (available). I'm trying to get a picture of how many house are rentals, vs owner living there, and even better, trying to put my finger on the trend of my neighborhood (Highlands).
An idea for an approximation...

The Wake County voter registration database is a public record and is readily downloadable.
The Wake County real estate ownership database is a public record and is readily downloadable.

Presume the voters are the actual inhabitants. Write some code to compare the name of the voter(s) to the name of the owner(s) for each distinct address. Comparing last name should suffice. Identify addresses where the last name of the owner(s) does not match the last name of the inhabitant(s). Toss addresses which have more than six voters because those are probably apartments. Sort by Zip Code to group addresses into neighborhoods.

Seems like fun, something to keep you off the street corner and out of the pool hall for a while.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:37 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
An idea for an approximation...

The Wake County voter registration database is a public record and is readily downloadable.
The Wake County real estate ownership database is a public record and is readily downloadable.

Presume the voters are the actual inhabitants. Write some code to compare the name of the voter(s) to the name of the owner(s) for each distinct address. Comparing last name should suffice. Identify addresses where the last name of the owner(s) does not match the last name of the inhabitant(s). Toss addresses which have more than six voters because those are probably apartments. Sort by Zip Code to group addresses into neighborhoods.

Seems like fun, something to keep you off the street corner and out of the pool hall for a while.

Gotta weed out those horrid renters somehow.....

Old 08-12-2014, 02:58 PM

621 posts, read 982,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Presume the voters are the actual inhabitants.
Wouldn't it be easier to look at the trend in crime rates? I heard more renters means more crimes and more depreciation of property values. Would help OP arrive at the end goal expeditiously.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to look at the trend in crime rates? I heard more renters means more crimes and more depreciation of property values. Would help OP arrive at the end goal expeditiously.
It really depends on the area....there are plenty of renters in Heritage ( I was surprised when I found out how many) but it's hardly a hot bed of crime and low property values.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I live in that zip. We have renters but very little crime in our neighborhood. It's mostly families and most of the "crime" is car break ins committed by people not living in the neighborhood. DT Cary police captain lives in the neighborhood as well.

But we also have some apartments in the same zip and trailer parks and those do have a moderate amount of crime, so I'm not really sure how easy it is base it on zip alone.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 PM

28 posts, read 51,785 times
It would probably be easier to look up addresses in the neighborhood using Wake County's iMaps tool (via web page or the app). Click on a few properties and pull up the info... If the property's address and the owner's mailing address of record don't match, you've probably found a rental. That's the method we used as we've been learning the area and house shopping over the last year.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I live in that zip. We have renters but very little crime in our neighborhood. It's mostly families and most of the "crime" is car break ins committed by people not living in the neighborhood. DT Cary police captain lives in the neighborhood as well.

But we also have some apartments in the same zip and trailer parks and those do have a moderate amount of crime, so I'm not really sure how easy it is base it on zip alone.
you really can't base much by ZIP codes in this area.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
you really can't base much by ZIP codes in this area.
Agreed. I'm really just trying to wrap my hands around how many houses are rentals vs occupied by owner in my neighborhood (Highlands) and the trend.

Not all renters are bad, BTW (I didn't mean to imply that), but if the trend is moving from stable neighborhood, to a majority renters, then eventually the properties will be less kept, lawns less mowed, and whatnot, and then it's a slippery slope (IMO).

I'm just trying to figure out if there is a way to keep my finger on the pulse?

Thanks for the feedback so far (and unfortunately, I don't have the background to write code).

Old 08-13-2014, 10:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Agreed. I'm really just trying to wrap my hands around how many houses are rentals vs occupied by owner in my neighborhood (Highlands) and the trend.

Not all renters are bad, BTW (I didn't mean to imply that), but if the trend is moving from stable neighborhood, to a majority renters, then eventually the properties will be less kept, lawns less mowed, and whatnot, and then it's a slippery slope (IMO).

I'm just trying to figure out if there is a way to keep my finger on the pulse?

Thanks for the feedback so far (and unfortunately, I don't have the background to write code).
We have some rentals in my neighborhood. You'd never know it. Executive rentals tend to include lawn service.

Maybe more landlords should do that? Add landscaping to the rental cost because if you live in an HOA neighborhood, it has to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary