Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:03 PM

683 posts, read 1,885,051 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I think some people are paying so little attention that they don't notice the light is out. No red = must be green... or something ridiculous like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:15 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
While this may be the law. I cannot see how it could be fairly enforced. For example... during night-time hours, if you are motoring along in a dark area, the fact that the light is out means you are highly likely not to know a signal pole is there or or even see it to know that it has failed.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
While this may be the law. I cannot see how it could be fairly enforced. For example... during night-time hours, if you are motoring along in a dark area, the fact that the light is out means you are highly likely not to know a signal pole is there or or even see it to know that it has failed.
Does your vehicle have headlights? I've driven around this area when the power has been out for days after hurricanes and storms. You can absolutely see them in the dark even if they are out.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
The old railroad principal applies to traffic signals too.

If an RR signal is out or acting abnormally, it must be handled as the most restrictive indication the signal can show (red light).

Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Unless you have candles for headlights, there is no reason you cannot see non functioning traffic signals.

I see people blow through intersections all the time. It's definitely not common knowledge to treat non working traffic lights as a 4 way stop. Or more than one person will go through the intersection in the same direction. Very annoying.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
I just don't see how it's not common knowledge. It concerns me that a large percentage of the driving population don't know a good portion of the rules of the road. Actually, it scares me!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:21 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I just don't see how it's not common knowledge. It concerns me that a large percentage of the driving population don't know a good portion of the rules of the road. Actually, it scares me!

It should!

Way too many people have a license, and access to a vehicle. A good portion of the people driving cars on our roads have no business doing so! The licensing tests are too easy, and our driving laws aren't enforced strictly enough. Just last night, I was having a conversation friends about the number of people I saw thumb wrestling with their phones on my way to dinner lats night. One girl didn't put her phone down for 2 or 3 miles, looking down and typing with both hands the entire time! There's no way you can dedicate the attention required to safely operate a vehicle, if you do this. Eventually, your luck will run out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary