Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,945 times

Advertisements

I have a choice of a flat lot or a lot that is perfect for a basement home. Could I please ask for opinions on which would be the better investment? I know the cost to build with a basement will be more expensive, I'd like the experts to give me their opinions on which lot they would buy. Thanks so much, Greg...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1ontheedge View Post
I have a choice of a flat lot or a lot that is perfect for a basement home. Could I please ask for opinions on which would be the better investment?
There was a long discussion on this recently, and the majority seemed to be opposed to basements because they are hard to keep dry. Thus, I think they are not a good "investment" in the Triangle. Even the realtor pointed out that you won't get your money back on a basement. However, I personally would pay for a walkout basement because they add so much usable space.

Past thread is here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...difficult.html

Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Flat lot on high grounds. You'll thank yourself later

Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Also depends on where the lot is located and what sort of home is being built on it.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 AM

386 posts, read 436,710 times
if you have kids, get the basement.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
What did your Realtor tell you to do? Personally I would go for the basement, as it is a cheap way to add a lot of living space. Easier to cool and keep warm compared to an attic. With so many people relocating from the North, a basement home will be much more desirable than a crawl in the future. As long as the builder knows what they are doing, and you as the owner know how to keep your humidity levels in check. Run the dehumidifier, have a backup on the sump pump, keep your downspouts away from the foundation and you should be good to go. I'm sure it's a poured foundation, but I have seen some homes with block foundations and basements, and I am not a fan of that. The new homes should all be poured though.

A lot of people will tell you no, but you need to ask what their experience is with a basement. I've lived in homes with them for 30 years with heavy clay soil. I only had minor issues, and one was a home with an issue before I bought it. Fixed for less than $1,000 and never had an issue again.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:00 AM

150 posts, read 175,449 times
A walkout is great, if you can arrange to have lots of windows on the non-dirt-facing side (and it's sort of south-facing). A couple of windows on the sides help also. The main thing is to get lots of natural light in there so that it's not a dark, depressing hole. Lights are OK - but nothing beats the sun.

Almost every basement I've looked at in this area is a dark, damp, smelly hole, except for two that are built like I just described. It all depends on the design and construction.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM

644 posts, read 842,432 times
Flat. Just better for the Triangle area. Our real estate isn't that expensive to warrant the addition of a basement for additional space.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1ontheedge View Post
I have a choice of a flat lot or a lot that is perfect for a basement home. Could I please ask for opinions on which would be the better investment? I know the cost to build with a basement will be more expensive ...
Much depends on your hobby interests and those of your family.

Thirty years ago I built a home with a walkout basement. That's thirty years with zero water infiltration problems. A basement can be built right or built wrong. It's a pity that so many are built wrong.

My hobby interests require space for a workshop. The basement is part drive-under garage, part workshop. Since this space is unfinished it was inexpensive to build and adds little to the tax assessment value. It has a roughed-in bathroom, plenty of windows, and could be converted to finished space at any time.

Ride around residential subdivisions on a Saturday when people are at home and garage doors are open. You will see many no-basement houses with cars parked in the driveway because the garages are filled with storage items. Plentiful unfinished basement space avoids that problem.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:18 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I'm a big fan of buying resale homes with basements. Gives you a chance to see how the construction held up AND keeps you from taking the hit on it while it's new, while allowing you to get a basement for hobbies and play areas and whatever else you enjoy.

If not a resale, go for a new spec home with a basement if you can find one. I was just in one the other day, so I know they exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary