Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 02:00 PM

14 posts, read 23,485 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a specific kind of boarding barn in Apex or Cary area (Holly Springs too far). What I need:
Decent Arena, Safe Turn out areas, Not too snooty! Main needs: need a boarding barn where as a private owner I can give a few lessons on my own horse, or to others on their horse, without blow back from a "big name" trainer associated with the barn that wants no one teaching there but them.

I am of the 'live and let live' school of thought that as long as what you are doing with your horse is safe people should have no opinion about it (or at least keep it to themselves). As a horse owner I simply want a barn to ride, enjoy a peaceful setting, and give the occasional lesson as a side venture. Yes, I have the appropriate insurance for that.

So, need a barn that is not too expensive, in Apex or Cary, has different riding styles preferably (I am English/dressage), and has no teaching policy that only assigned trainers of that barn can teach there. Looking for lowkey, clean, well managed. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:35 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
It will be extremely difficult to find what you are looking for. There are insurance issues, plus you would be bringing in strangers to use the farm facilities and interfere with their activities. Basically you would be asking the farm to use its facilities, which are costly to procure and maintain, for your own advantage. Not trying to be personal or anything, but this is not the scenario that would entice an owner to have you as a boarder. It would be different perhaps if you had trainer's insurance and worked for the farm taking a percentage of the lesson income.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:24 AM

150 posts, read 233,467 times
Vintage Stables on Old Jenks Rd. It's just east of 55 at Old Jenks, has a 20+ stall barn, 4 fenced pastures, small round pen, small riding/lesson arena with jumps in place. I've taken lessons from *one* of the trainers who works there, and I've not seen any drama llamas (except for the usual teenage girl stuff, but, hey, they're teenage girls.) A new owner took over last year, and I believe they switched out their barn managers. I haven't been there/ridden over the summer so things may have changed quite a bit, but it's a place to start looking at least.

The property includes 80 acres total, and there are nice trails back through the woods. Personally, I wouldn't trail ride back there in the summer for fear of snakes, but I'm a big ol' wimp about that.

They have trail riders and mostly English styles from what I've seen. I think I'm the only pseudo-dressage person there, but they don't care.

The only other barns I know if Apex/Cary are the bigger name show barns: Buckhorn, MacNair's, Five Star, none of which, I would guess, would want you giving lessons of your own. I could be wrong...

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 PM

12 posts, read 19,330 times
It is not Apex or Cary, but check out Saddletree Stables in Willow Springs. They have a large outdoor arena and also a covered ring. I think boarding is $450 a month.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:43 PM

14 posts, read 23,485 times
Default Very Helpful

Thank you one and all for your feedback. Even the first one, I really appreciate you taking the time. I had not thought of bringing people in the terms you put it, it helps me understand the reluctance at some stables. The other two tips are very helpful too! It's just the kind of feedback I hoped to get, so thanks again for taking the time.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:40 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,845 times
Quiet Oak Farm in NewHill (Just south of Apex on old Rte 1) might meet your needs. Pat Conaway is extraordinarily nice to my daughter and her horse.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,288 times
Default 5 Acres with Stables for Your Horses Stony Point

Not sure if this helps or not, but I have a home listed in Stony Point near Lake Lookout on 5 Acres with a HUGE barn. The best part is the Barn has individual stables for your horses. Its insulated, has dedicated power breaker AND hot and cold running water! With 5 acres there 2 fenced in areas for riding and grazing. Let me know if you are interested because its priced right and will sell soon. There is a really NICE custom log home on the property also. PM me for more details or pics.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:57 PM

27 posts, read 46,122 times
Bumping this back up rather than starting a new thread...

thinking about moving to the area, and have a LARGE 8 yp holsteiner gelding (why big horses are an issue still escapes me!) who I have had since he was born. He was an orphan, although very well behaved, does need someone who is confident. As I am in the medical field, my days can stretch out, so good eyes on him are important. I have actually run a few boarding barns, and up until the past 2 years, have always had my horses at home, so fully understand horses can be and will be horses. He may not event, although that is what I consider myself, having done quite well up to prelim. Turn out, good eyes, clean water, clean hay during down grass times are all important. Any suggestions? I am likely going to be working towards the Greenville area, although have a few job offers I am considering. Thanks everyone!

Old 01-27-2016, 06:50 PM

150 posts, read 233,467 times
If you're going to be on the east side of Raleigh, looking for barns over there may be easier than the actual Raleigh area. Wendell, Zebulon, and Wake Forest will have some barns. I'd also suggest getting plugged into the eventing and dressage trainers in the area. They'll know where their clients board.

Welcome to the area! This is a great spot for horse people.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:06 PM

27 posts, read 46,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkay View Post
If you're going to be on the east side of Raleigh, looking for barns over there may be easier than the actual Raleigh area. Wendell, Zebulon, and Wake Forest will have some barns. I'd also suggest getting plugged into the eventing and dressage trainers in the area. They'll know where their clients board.

Thanks! I need to find those connections!

Welcome to the area! This is a great spot for horse people.
Thanks! I am looking forward, although I do NOT miss ticks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary