Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,271 times

Advertisements

While I do not think this teacher should be fired for sharing his beliefs, I am disgusted that he publicly named a young student who attends the school and said personal things about her and her family.

FUQUAY-VARINA: Wake teacher apologizes after comparing school to concentration camp | Education | NewsObserver.com

The fact is, we know this teacher and kids at the school know this student. He should be apologizing for using their name. Even if the information about this student is public knowledge, it puts this student in a bad situation to be harassed, persecuted and bullied. I don't agree with this teachers feelings on lifestyles or religious views and I feel as an adult in a teaching position he should be more responsible. He didn't stop to think how this would affect people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:25 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
I agree that Freedom of Speech is Freedom of Speech. But it also doesn't mean not having to answer for one's statements. While he had the right to say what he wanted in a partisan forum, he also can't complain about being called on the carpet over saying them, particularly mentioning details about a minor.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Wow, talk about overstepping boundaries!

And your biggest problem was his anonymously referencing a student, not his utter disregard for the sanctity and respect of those who perished or suffered during the Holocaust? Had he compared his experience to that of the passengers on the planes used on 9/11 I can only imagine the outrage which would have ensued.

Mr. Fournier needs to be held accountable for what he wrote, for certain. However if he's truly remorseful (and not just trying to save his job) it would be far better to let him continue his career, but only if he's made to engage in meaningful dialogues with those people he's offended so that he can be made to understand why what he wrote is offensive and painful.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
And your biggest problem was his anonymously referencing a student, not his utter disregard for the sanctity and respect of those who perished or suffered during the Holocaust? Had he compared his experience to that of the passengers on the planes used on 9/11 I can only imagine the outrage which would have ensued.
Oh no trust me I was furious about the whole article. I agree wholeheartedly with what you posted.

I was just responding to the the issue of using a familys name when Fuquay is a small town and people know who he is speaking of. There was nothing anonymous about it. I think he needs to publicly apologize and definitely he should be held accountable for what he said. Fired...no, but there are other ways to handle this.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:52 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Wow, talk about overstepping boundaries!

Mr. Fournier needs to be held accountable for what he wrote, for certain. However if he's truly remorseful (and not just trying to save his job) it would be far better to let him continue his career, but only if he's made to engage in meaningful dialogues with those people he's offended so that he can be made to understand why what he wrote is offensive and painful.
I don't think he's remorseful about what he said. I think his "apology" was basically, "I'm sorry I offended folks, but I meant it." Here's a quote from his apology (I bolded the points that have led me to this conclusion):

Quote:
Some people might not understand the seriousness of the spiritual destruction of our children and as a result, might come to the conclusion that I am being disrespectful to those families who directly suffered in the holocaust. I certainly did not want to offend anyone with my analogy; and for that I would like to offer my deepest apologies and ask forgiveness from those whom I have offended.

Read more here: FUQUAY-VARINA: Wake teacher apologizes after comparing school to concentration camp | Education | NewsObserver.com
There's no way in h-e-double toothpicks that I'd let that man teach my child. He may be an excellent teacher, and he's entitled to his own opinion. But I don't want someone teaching my child when such utter contempt for the system oozes out of every pore.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:01 AM

I agree!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:07 AM

656 posts, read 1,341,691 times
So Wake County schools starve the kids, use them for medical experiments, force them into labor, and ultimately murder them? He probably could've thought that one through a little better.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
I'd be more upset he'd try and push his religious nutjob views on students. But, I guess that's what you get for living in the south.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I agree that Freedom of Speech is Freedom of Speech.
Correct; and he won't be going to Jail or facing Criminal or Civil liabilities for his speech, therefore his constitutional rights won't be abridged.

However, his employer, like many of our employers, has language in the employment policies that require us to adhere to conduct that upholds the "integrity and/or reputation" of the organization. Comparing your workplace to a concentration camp in a public forum would certainly violate that, to say nothing of his naming of a GLBT student, and the suggestion that the school "turned" her into a lesbian.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:14 AM

502 posts, read 1,252,056 times
^^ Yep, freedom of speech is not the same as freedom from consequences!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: