Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 02:29 PM

185 posts, read 686,995 times

Advertisements

Companies moving to Raleigh, but i want to live in the suburbs. I need to make a quick decision, so I'd love any help with basic information.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 04:17 PM

129 posts, read 186,460 times
Time Warner Cable, and AT&T U-Verse are the two main providers, with TWC being a bit more commonplace; but I think some of the outlying suburbs might have some other options available, like I know Wake Forest has CenturyLink. They all have terrible customer service, and extortionate prices, so pick your poison.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:23 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
What is more important to you? TV or Internet?

Internet is more important to me, so I am on Time Warner Roadrunner. TWC is the premier Internet Service Provider in the area, IMO.
My wife is not dissatisfied with the TV offerings, so there is little impetus to switch to anything else.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:00 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Except that TWC has an antiquated DVR. We dumped them in favor of DirectTV, but kept them for internet as they are the only high speed we can get here in Brier Creek.

Sorry, I know of no website that shows it, and even within cities, there are different providers.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Except that TWC has an antiquated DVR.
I've never used DirecTV, but I kind of like TWC's new smaller DVRs and the DVR/search interface.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I've never used DirecTV, but I kind of like TWC's new smaller DVRs and the DVR/search interface.
Are you on Signature Home?
I just swapped out and got the 2005 model big box...

Old 09-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Are you on Signature Home?
I just swapped out and got the 2005 model big box...
Mike - nope, just regular TV and Internet service. We had the old SA boxes until about 6 months ago. After various problems we were having and trips to TWC to swap out our box, we finally got one of the newer models - smaller footprint, bigger hard drive, and a nice visual search interface for programs and recordings.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Mike - nope, just regular TV and Internet service. We had the old SA boxes until about 6 months ago. After various problems we were having and trips to TWC to swap out our box, we finally got one of the newer models - smaller footprint, bigger hard drive, and a nice visual search interface for programs and recordings.
Can you tell me the model name/number?

I might have to go in and request one.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Can you tell me the model name/number?

I might have to go in and request one.
Mike - it's a Cisco 8742 HDC.

Measures 12" wide by 9" deep

Old 12-18-2014, 08:50 AM

A family member received this from TWC:

Quote:
We’re inviting you to sign up for a trial of our brand-new, next-generation video service. Your participation and feedback will be vital in helping us shape the future of our technology.

During your participation in the trial you’ll receive state-of-the-art DVR equipment:
• Record up to 6 shows simultaneously
• Store up to twice your current content — up to 150 hours of HD programming
• Access over 18,000 of your favorite TV shows and movies, all in one place, On Demand
You’ll also receive access to our new innovative on screen guide:
• Enjoy more intuitive, streamlined navigation with colorful artwork
• Get customized recommendations on what to watch
• Binge watch select series easily by starting the next episode the moment
your program ends
• Scroll through your recent channels while watching live TV with Channel Surfer

We will professionally install the new DVR equipment at no cost to you and issue a credit for your DVR service fee during the 6 month trial, saving you money every month. At the end of the trial, our current service rates will apply.

All we ask from you is to participate in up to 6 online surveys to help us improve your experience. Surveys must be completed within 7 days of receipt. You will also need to sign a Beta Testing Agreement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary