Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times

Advertisements

NCHome, with a 5 bedroom, 3 bath home and three children, you won't be able to come through the deal as inexpensively as what we did, I don't think. As mother to three, I have no idea where you'd find the time/energy to pack things, and with little ones under foot, it might be incredibly difficult to get a POD loaded.

I just don't like the way a lot of 'professional' movers handle my things, and like your husband, I have inherited pieces from grandparents, or worked too hard to purchase things, myself. Sometimes, there is no finding another of something. Over the years, I have had furniture damaged, upholstery ruined, things lost or stolen, and have just learned the hard way.

If you could conceivably do it, sub-contracting some of the move may help with the cost. You can purchase a lot of moving materials -- even plastic wrap for your upholstery -- and I pack my dishes and fragile items, my-own-damn-self. No one to blame but me, if something happens. I also had great luck visiting a furniture store, and asking if I could crate-off boxes furniture came in, as a lot of boxes used over chairs fit my own chairs.

There are ways to reduce the cost of a move, and re-cycle materials. I think the cost of the two PODS was $1200. We loaded and un-loaded them into the apartment. Some things stayed packed in the garage of the apartment because we knew we'd be moving to a house eventually. We spent another $250 on a local moving company to move the heavy stuff for us from the apartment into the house. I moved things like our dishes and linens and small items, myself -- whatever I could get into my car and trunk. It's all the little things and trip-after-trip of a local move that really end up costing $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Would you mind sharing?

1. How much did you spend?
2. How much did you move (1 bed apt, 4 bed house?)
3. How far did you come?
4. What moving company did you use?
5. What would you do differently if you did it again?
6. Any other advice you have?

Thanks!
hmmm.. let's see

$500 for the truck, one way. Nothing paid to my friends, cousins, etc.
1 BR apt
500 miles from NYC
Penske truck rental
I wouldn't do it again!
Downsize and get rid of everythin you don't NEED first.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,481 times
Quote:
Wow, I'm pleasantly shoicked at the cost! I expected much, much more. It cost us $1200 to move 1 mile this summer. We did all the packing and hired a compnay to load it all into a big van. We have 3 kids, a lot of "grandma's" antique furniture and, admittedly--waaaay too much stuff. And last year, when I turned down that job in Raleigh because there were no relo funds, I estimated (on the chieap), minimum $7K--that was based on total moving weight, driving mileage, any hotel, airfare, etc. We've always had the full corporate relo, including broker fee covrered, bridge loans, temp housing, etc., so I really didn't know where to start.

We have a 5bed/3 ba house in the Boston area. Two cars and an old truck. Way too much furniture but DH won't get rid of most of it since he inherited it from his grandmother. And all the crap that comes wtih 3 kids; bikes, scooters, sports equipment, clothes, toys, etc. I know we can pare way down but wow, if I could do this move for less than $5K, I think I would take the chance and do it!!!
Good.. come buy my house then LOL

Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
[quote=NChomesomeday;2356327]Would you mind sharing?

3. How far did you come?

From Holliston, near you, We spent 10k. Can't remember exactly but it was between $8,500 and 10K. This was 3.5 years ago.

We moved 4 bedrooms, 3,000 sf plus a basement. We had more than one truck. We used United in Milford.

The thing we regreat is not getting rid of more. We even had a big dumster on our driveway and filled the whole thing with trash. That's is one benefit of not having an HOA. We don't have a basement here so we just have little odds and ends that we don't have any place to put. If you have lots of stuff like that then I would suggest finding a house with a basement. My husband would say that is his biggest regret.

We also moved down here without jobs. My husband had trouble finding a job. So initially he was just day trading but then the market went sour. Luckily his old company in MA wanted him back badly that they were ok with us living down here. He traveled alot anyway so it really didn't matter where we lived as long as he could get on an airplane.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
Also we got rid of the snowblower and ride-on lawnmover. We even left the Creative Playthings. Our yard here was too small for the one we had so we just bought another smaller Creative Playthings when we got here.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:02 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
RDSLOTS, my kids are 16, 13 and 8. The boys can definitely help with the heavy lifting.

I consider myself very lucky in that all of the corporate relo's we did, nothing irreplaceable ever got broken. But if we move ourselves, we won't be looking at hriing a moving company (a big name one, at least).

We'd probably also leave the swing set (we moved over the summer and took it apart ourselves and it didn't surive very well) but the LAX wall needs to come with us.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:29 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday
Would you mind sharing?

3. How far did you come?

1. Approx $1400, 2 years ago. 1 16' POD.
2. 3 bd/2ba 1600sq ft home with full basement and garage
3. From central NJ
4. PODS. We put all our belongings into the POD as we sold our house. Then kept the POD in NJ storage for $100/month. Then when we got our job in NC, we had the POD shipped to Raleigh where it stayed until we bought our house. There are also professional laborers now that PODS and those similar are popping up. We used them to load all the heavy stuff and majority of boxes. They cost $270 for 2 men (burly) for 4 hours and then $40/hour additional if needed. Not bad and they were professional and courteous, especially of our things. I'm not associated in any way but they really helped us....their site is movinglaborbrokers.com (we had a different compay scheduled and they completely screwed us by not showing up at all...these guys came last minute).

Tip on the PODS.....put all your clothing in garbage bags so you can pack the POD to the ceiling. We had all our clothing in those big plastic tubs and we realized halfway through packing the POD that we'd gain alot of space by eliminating the tubs. The bags also enabled us to stablize boxes and such and really utilize small spaces.

5. I'm not sure we would do much any differently. Maybe use 2 PODS if anything. We left alot of stuff.

Lauren

Old 12-29-2007, 02:23 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Would you mind sharing?

3. How far did you come?

Thanks!
1. I'd say about $5K for the movers. That doesn't count what we spent to drive half-way across the country for 3 days (gas for 2 cars, hotel, meals, etc)

2. We had a 4 br/3 ba/ 2 car gar (2800sqft) house. Our weight was about 10,000 lbs.

3. Dallas TX. Yee haw

4. Don't remember. It was one of the big national companies. Allied? No. . . wait. . .Atlas.

5. Find a company to pay for it!!!. I was very disappointed in my situation because I worked with 8-10 guys in Dallas (same company) that were given relocation packages by the company that hired us in Raleigh. Those guys were HW engineers and I was a SW engineer. I guess HW engineers were in more demand. They got relocation packages worth tens of thousands of dollars. I had to take a contract job and pay for my own move.

6. Even though you have to move twice, I recommend coming down and getting an apartment first for a bit while you get to know the area.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Quote:
Wow, I'm pleasantly shoicked at the cost! I expected much, much more. It cost us $1200 to move 1 mile this summer. We did all the packing and hired a compnay to load it all into a big van. We have 3 kids, a lot of "grandma's" antique furniture and, admittedly--waaaay too much stuff. And last year, when I turned down that job in Raleigh because there were no relo funds, I estimated (on the chieap), minimum $7K--that was based on total moving weight, driving mileage, any hotel, airfare, etc. We've always had the full corporate relo, including broker fee covrered, bridge loans, temp housing, etc., so I really didn't know where to start.

We have a 5bed/3 ba house in the Boston area. Two cars and an old truck. Way too much furniture but DH won't get rid of most of it since he inherited it from his grandmother. And all the crap that comes wtih 3 kids; bikes, scooters, sports equipment, clothes, toys, etc. I know we can pare way down but wow, if I could do this move for less than $5K, I think I would take the chance and do it!!!

NCHome, I think you probably could meet your goal. I have priced out a similar move , coming to a similar cost conclusion (the move that we expected to happen last summer, still waiting...waiting on job transfers, and we pay the move) from CT, three/four bed home, 2 adults 5 kids stuff. I plan to use PODS ( I used them locally in a recent local move). You can go to their website and get an instant estimate-you will need two units. Then, your Dh can tow one vehicle behind the other and you drive one.

You will really need to pare down the 'crap'. I know what you mean-it's amazing what accumulates! Be ruthless with the clothes, toys and such. Especially the outdoor yard toys and stuff-that stuff is easy to replace at tag sales. Tell DH that if he has to have all that furniture, you'll have to get rid of other stuff. Like his

Your kids are a good age to help. We did our two recent local moves ourselves, with the kids helping. I say, Go For It!!! I hope I'm right behind ya!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:07 PM

151 posts, read 462,818 times
Default Answers

We bought a trailer for $2,900 and sold it once we got here for $2,600. We packed all our stuff in it and drove it across the country from Los Angeles, CA. We were going to rent a u-haul, but actually buying a trailer was much cheaper and we used it several times before we sold it. Other expenses included 1/2 dozen hotel stops and food/gas etc. It was a very cheap move - and loads of fun!

2. How much did you move (Just books and beds and some antique furniture and clothes)

3. How far did you come? 2,549 miles

4. What moving company did you use? We didn't use one. We bought a trailer and did it ourselves.

5. What would you do differently if you did it again? Nothing!

6. Any other advice you have? Yes, think outside the box.

Last edited by KFran; 12-29-2007 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary