Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 05:55 AM

621 posts, read 982,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
In any area, the further you go from employment/educational centers, the "worse" the schools will be. The most educated people in the Triangle probably live closest to jobs requiring the highest education, such as at the universities and RTP. You're talking about an area that was "country" till just a few years ago and the schools will reflect that.
^This.^

Given enough time, FV school quality will go up. As smarter/ more educated parents move into an area, the schools in that area tend to have higher caliber students. But don't let that be a barometer of the quality of teaching. That varies, even within "good" schools.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:49 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsangia View Post
I'm from NJ. I'm interviewing for a job in NC in 10 days. I'm confused by the school systems down there. I've done a lot of research, there seems to be a lottery system, once your in, your golden.

You need to re-learn how to do research if you've done a ton and that's what you've come up with!

It's a district wide system. You can apply to a magnet school, the rest are by where you live.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:56 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Mine were lucky enough to graduate over 10 years ago with great educations.

The bribing of businesses and the touting of magazines brought uncontrolled growth. Schools are only one problem this stupidity and greed created.

We loved NC 26 years ago when we came from New Orleans. Raleigh was a nice middle class city.

After the yuppie influx, it became costly to rent here and the rudeness on the roads can ruin many a day. Not much hope for rail because the legislators only think of the cost. The farebox doesn't normally cover expenses, but savings appear in other budget areas such as roads.

Controlled growth with infrastructure in synch is good. What's happening here now is a crime, ruining such a nice place.
None of which has had any effect on the quality of the teaching that goes on in the schools.

Your O/T political rants disguised as caring about whatever topic is being discussed are becoming tiring.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:24 AM

36 posts, read 48,146 times
I'm from NJ as well , and they don't have a hundred districts here it's a COUNTY wide district system . I think that minimize educational inequality based on socioeconomic status . In nj if you can't afford 12, 000 taxes in a specific town the quality of your child's education will surely suffer - no need for lottery here unlike nj - I feel like if you care enough every child has a chance at a decent education regardless of zip code. I was just comparing Fuquay to other schools in the county - when compared to other Counties in NC iFv schools fare pretty well . Just concerned with where it ranks within Wake , but some points offered here gave great insight , I believe they will turn around with the change in educational demographics ! Thanks guys

Old 10-04-2014, 08:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokaspeight View Post
I'm from NJ as well , and they don't have a hundred districts here it's a COUNTY wide district system . I think that minimize educational inequality based on socioeconomic status . In nj if you can't afford 12, 000 taxes in a specific town the quality of your child's education will surely suffer - no need for lottery here unlike nj - I feel like if you care enough every child has a chance at a decent education regardless of zip code. I was just comparing Fuquay to other schools in the county - when compared to other Counties in NC iFv schools fare pretty well . Just concerned with where it ranks within Wake , but some points offered here gave great insight , I believe they will turn around with the change in educational demographics ! Thanks guys
I think the schools will eventually gain higher rankings, but the rankings never reflect the caliber of teacher you may receive in any given school year at ANY school. No doubt plenty of bright, intelligent individuals have graduated from schools in FV, gone on to college, and may or may not have moved away due to availability of jobs near FV.

If FV becomes a highly-desirable place for people to live and the population increases, this change will be reflected in school rankings.

I would not make the mistaken assumption that transplantation of individuals with "more education" will make FV a more intelligent town. Or, at the very least, don't say that in front of the locals. Plenty of them are both intelligent AND educated.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:46 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I would not make the mistaken assumption that transplantation of individuals with "more education" will make FV a more intelligent town. Or, at the very least, don't say that in front of the locals. Plenty of them are both intelligent AND educated.
Yup. Contrary to what some would have you believe, NC does actually have educated and intelligent residents whose families have been in NC for generations.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:48 AM

I can only speak for whom I encountered there and the research I did and what I've heard from "locals" . I was not assuming it will be a more "intelligent" town but it may influence the importance parents put into the education of their children which in turns translate into parent involvement ect. and of course performance of schools . I think we can all understand how the education level of parents often (not always) affects schools and performance over the quality of teachers even . We know this to be true in cH/ carborro district which statistically has the highest percentage of highly educated parents and strongest performing schools . All the other towns as well reflects similar qualities and effect have schools that reflect it . I didnt mean to offend but all this info is available on this site .Fv has the lowest performing schools in Wake and FV has a lower percentage of ppl with education over certain point in comparison to other comparable towns in Wake . I wasn't saying only transplants can bring that to FV but rather anyone can bring that -most of whom I met are transplants and most of the ppl I've interacted with / observed are transplants , that's my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think the schools will eventually gain higher rankings, but the rankings never reflect the caliber of teacher you may receive in any given school year at ANY school. No doubt plenty of bright, intelligent individuals have graduated from schools in FV, gone on to college, and may or may not have moved away due to availability of jobs near FV.

If FV becomes a highly-desirable place for people to live and the population increases, this change will be reflected in school rankings.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:52 AM

Yes agreed , that was point I did not consider and upon further research I was able to make the correlation... I'm still optimistic that this will change and as i am an involved parent I think my kids will be fine -

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
^This.^

Given enough time, FV school quality will go up. As smarter/ more educated parents move into an area, the schools in that area tend to have higher caliber students. But don't let that be a barometer of the quality of teaching. That varies, even within "good" schools.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:53 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
In any area, the further you go from employment/educational centers, the "worse" the schools will be. The most educated people in the Triangle probably live closest to jobs requiring the highest education, such as at the universities and RTP. You're talking about an area that was "country" till just a few years ago and the schools will reflect that.
While I mostly agree with the above, Willow Springs, which happens to be "further out" than Fuquay has or had good schools. I'm not sure why that is. Does anyone know?

Old 10-04-2014, 10:56 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,685 times
[quote=mokaspeight;36745363]I can only speak for whom I encountered there and the research I did and what I've heard from "locals" . I was not assuming it will be a more "intelligent" town but it may influence the importance parents put into the education of their children which in turns translate into parent involvement ect. and of course performance of schools . I think we can all understand how the education level of parents often (not always) affects schools and performance over the quality of teachers even . We know this to be true in cH/ carborro district which statistically has the highest percentage of highly educated parents and strongest performing schools . All the other towns as well reflects similar qualities and effect have schools that reflect it . I didnt mean to offend but all this info is available on this site .Fv has the lowest performing schools in Wake and FV has a lower percentage of ppl with education over certain point in comparison to other comparable towns in Wake . I wasn't saying only transplants can bring that to FV but rather anyone can bring that -most of whom I met are transplants and most of the ppl I've interacted with / observed are transplants....

Assimilation is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary