Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 03:39 PM

36 posts, read 43,354 times

Advertisements

Anyone have advice on these schools, as compared to Wake Co? We were hoping to avoid the overcrowding and redistricting issues of Wake Co and found some nice areas outside of Clayton. But I have been hearing that some of these schools are extremely overcrowded at already at capacity. I can't seem to find much info online except for a new middle school being built. Is that the only solution out there right now? Is there talk of additional schools being built in the growing areas around Riverwood or Cleveland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 04:59 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
When you enter any high growth area, you will see overcrowded schools and reassignments.

Developers here pour load on infrastructure without impact fees to handle the influx.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:16 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
I can't fathom that JoCo (Johnston County) schools are anywhere close to the overcrowding situation in Wake, which is the 16th (I think--maybe 15th by now) biggest school district in the country, and in the top 10 counties in the US as far as population growth.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:51 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadd View Post
Anyone have advice on these schools, as compared to Wake Co? We were hoping to avoid the overcrowding and redistricting issues of Wake Co and found some nice areas outside of Clayton. But I have been hearing that some of these schools are extremely overcrowded at already at capacity. I can't seem to find much info online except for a new middle school being built. Is that the only solution out there right now? Is there talk of additional schools being built in the growing areas around Riverwood or Cleveland?
Those areas are facing alot of growth. Most of them have trailers due to overcrowding. They do seem to build new schools faster than Wake though.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
There are several threads about Johnston County schools. Here's a recent one that discusses some overcrowding there in Clayton:

Is this normal in crowded schools?

The OP, Goodbyesnow, has kids in Johnston County schools.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:52 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Yep, I have kids here and am not impressed.

We moved to CLayton because of the assignment issues when were were n=moving to NC and didnt want to deal with that since we were moving after enrollment closed and Wake schools told me straight out that I could have 3 kids on 3 tracks in 3 different schools. It was the only year that did the parent choice assignment and it was a bit crazy, I guess. BUT, I taught it wake (only a year and threw in the towel) but it was easy to see that aside from the crowding, Wake schools offered an EDUCATION much more consistent with what we had in WI.

My kids went to high performing schools and had homework like crazy (not a fan of that) and I also taught in WI for 14 years. the schools teach to the standards-WI standards were very close to common core and the transition was flawless. Here, in Wake, I was required to teach the common core. In Johnston, my kids are NOT being taught only common core. The quality of education is not the same. Had I not been a teacher for so long, I might not have noticed, but I am incredibly unhappy with the education.

We came from a school where 98% of the kids were proficient or advanced on state tests. My kids schools here scored in the 50s, but still call themselves schools of excellence. My middle school child is shown movies often (like magic school bus and that dog-cant think of his name-maybe wishbone) and has many days with no homework. The work she does have is not up to par with what is expected, and the high schooler has teachers who are clearly not teaching what they should be.

If I were to do it again, I'd move to Wake. Even if a school itself has lower performing kids but the teachers are teaching the required curriculum, the kids are getting the education the deserve. When teachers are not teaching the curriculum, the teachers should be fired! I've talked to administration multiple times and have been blown off.
My daughter's math teacher is a sub for the whole year and is telling stories and not teaching-just assigning algebra. She asked for help, he told her to sit down and look at his example. She went to what is supposed to be a help/support class. they told her it was a study hall and to sit down and do her work quietly. NOT what I'd expect from a school at all!

If my kids were not so emotionally fragile-especially one, I'd move now as I am so unhappy with the schools. And this is aside from the fact that kids are eating lunch on the floor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary