Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,324 times

Advertisements

Planning on relocating to North Carolina sometime after July of this year. We need to be under an hour driving distance to Raleigh/Durham (Duke) for medical reasons. Our son has Cystic Fibrosis. I am a part time musician and was hoping to relocate to an area that has some night life. Also looking for a home with at least 1/4 acre property and able to have our own pool in the back yard. our maximum budget would be around $350,000. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 07:15 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Where will you be working?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,324 times
Default Relocating from NY

Oh sorry forgot to mention. I will be retired and not working unless i can play in a band part time

Old 02-12-2016, 07:22 AM

I don't know about the pool (there aren't very many here), but I'd say that Chapel Hill has the largest number of opportunities for your music. And would meet the medical requirements. CH itself might be out if that price range, but perhaps the nearby areas.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 AM

514 posts, read 602,799 times
Being in Durham may be easiest for you. It is certainly close enough to Duke and you have downtown Durham. If necessary, downtown Raleigh is doable also.

The pool thing is the question but would a membership work for you, or do you need your own?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:27 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't know about the pool (there aren't very many here), but I'd say that Chapel Hill has the largest number of opportunities for your music. And would meet the medical requirements. CH itself might be out if that price range, but perhaps the nearby areas.
Maybe in the Orange County schools part of CH?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 AM

These links to music schedules and venues may help.

Music | Events | Calendar | Indy Week

Music Events in Raleigh, Durham, & Chapel Hill | Triangle.com

Any specific genre of music? And have you researched which hospital offers the best programs for CF patients? We have Duke, Wake Med and Rex/UNC. Might be worth an inquiry here: https://www.facebook.com/CFFCarolinas

Are any of your kids school age?

Old 02-12-2016, 08:56 PM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Newer home, or would a 20 or 30 year old home work?
Older homes tend to have larger lots, particularly in your price range.
And, unless you prefer country, I would certainly be looking in Durham.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:59 AM

183 posts, read 198,114 times
Proximity to Duke and nightlife / Live music, probably Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Durham. Raleigh has a lot of music options too but is a longer trek to Duke.

Western wake may be an option. Near 540 and 70. Not too far from Duke and still striking distance to Raleigh

Old 02-13-2016, 09:12 AM

149 posts, read 149,447 times
If you are coming from NYC, Durham and Chapel Hill area are going to be a culture shock for you.

If you coming from NY state, and are used to car culture and a very quiet, slower paced city that is small and mostly suburbs, then you will be fine here. If you are a big city person at heart, you might have a hard adjustment awaiting you.

Coming from Boston, one of hardest things for me to get used to was the lack of street traffic - relatively few pedestrians. You just don't see many people around, even when you're in downtown Durham or downtown Raleigh.

But, one thing you will probably love is the incredible friendliness of the locals. I could never get enough of that. In the northeast, especially Boston, sourpusses are the norm. So to have warm smiling faces everywhere is a pleasant surprise.

And I don't agree with the poster who wrote that there aren't many swimming pools around. I grew up in the South. Swimming pools are part of life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary