Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times

Advertisements

I did a search, and found a few threads on private transportation companies, but 1) they were all old, and 2) this situation is a bit unique, I think. Anyway, I'm starting a new thread.

Situation: Divorced parents. 1 lives in Sanford, the other (me) in Cary. Child (14 years old) goes to school in Sanford. All parties are interested in child being able to stay in Cary more often, but it's about 90 miles round trip (x2 = 180 miles), and right in the middle of the work-day. It is not only cost-prohibitive, but also career-prohibitive. (I can take vacation time for some special circumstances, but can't do it all the time).

Does anyone know of any programs that might help? Or can anyone give general pricing guidelines (will they even go accross counties) of private transport? Just throwing it out there to see if there are any solutions I haven't thought of.

We have ruled out the following:
-No fellow students live in Cary to carpool with.
-Moving to WCPSS is not a current option.
-Anything that costs a lot of money (just the cost of gas/car is probably a non-starter at 180 miles/day).

Anyone have any great ideas on this? Or creative thoughts? Or aware of programs, ride-shares, or something that might be viable and safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
All parties are interested in child being able to stay in Cary more often, but it's about 90 miles round trip (x2 = 180 miles), and right in the middle of the work-day...... Or aware of programs, ride-shares, or something that might be viable and safe?
What hours? Would you want the child to be picked up after school in Sanford (say 2:30 PM) and returned to Sanford by 9PM?

I checked the Uber ride service, but they don't go that far. All I can suggest is looking for a mom who lives in Sanford and works an evening shift in Cary. I'd suggest you ask the Sanford parent to ask her friends for suggestions. Perhaps use a church bulletin board. You need to be very cautious, as you need to trust that person with your 14-year old child. I wouldn't want to rely on a Craigslist ad.

I have relatives in Sanford who commute to Durham, but I don't think their hours would work.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:33 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
you need to move a lot closer to Sanford.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:02 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you need to move a lot closer to Sanford.
That's my guess too. Won't sell a house over this (she'll be 16 in a little over a year, so it would resolve almost as fast as I could move), but thought I'd ask. If there's an answer, somebody on this forum will know it.

And Goldenage1. Drop off between 730-745, pick up after 2:45. Home by "dinner time".

Old 10-21-2014, 07:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
That's my guess too. Won't sell a house over this (she'll be 16 in a little over a year, so it would resolve almost as fast as I could move), but thought I'd ask. If there's an answer, somebody on this forum will know it.

And Goldenage1. Drop off between 730-745, pick up after 2:45. Home by "dinner time".
Rent out your house and then rent something closer to Sanford (Holly Springs?)? I'm assuming by "it would resolve almost as fast as I could move" is related to your daughter turning 16, and therefore driving herself to school? That's a long way for a 16 year old to drive (in the dark in the morning). And I'm sure those with children who have been through this can chime in, but I'm not sure they can actually just drive by themselves when they turn 16. I have a friend with older kids, and it seems like there are many more regulations about when they could drive (and with whom) than I had.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:09 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I would call the school or get in touch with the PTA and see if anyone commutes to Cary for any reason (it's unlikely but who knows, there could be someone in a similar predicament) and you could come to an agreement on price. It's not that unusual for people in Sanford to come to Cary to work and shop. Our PTA puts a newsletter out with parent to parent communication looking for carpooling and other things like that.

Otherwise I'd call a private transportation company and see if you can work out a weekly flat rate.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Reese and Lucas do transport for wcpss. Reese does only special needs but I suppose you could contact them. I wouldn't trust any of them to drive my kid to Sanford, though, and anyone else wouldn't be background checked.

It sounds like this is stemming from a mother-daughter conflict that would hopefully resolve soon? Not sure her driving herself to and fro Sanford in 2 years is something worth considering for reasons mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary