Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 2,407 times

Advertisements

I need a recommendation for someone to install a gas ventless stone face fireplace on my screen porch.
The screen porch is being built now and the company that I thought would build the fireplace is now unable to.
I need an experienced person to work with the contractor building the porch to install and finish the fireplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:17 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Can we assume you're going to install a TV above the fireplace? If that's the case, honestly rethink that placement. Yea, all the cool kids have TV's above their fireplaces but in terms of screen viewing, it might be the worse place you could choose. Viewing angle should be give or take 2-3 degrees above eye level at whatever seating position your watching from.

One reason you see above the fireplace placement in new construction is because it's cheaper and easier than carving out a proper spot for a screen. I understand your space might not lend itself to an easy placement, but trust me, you'll think back on this post every time you get fatigued watching a movie or something for an extended period.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:07 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I understand your space might not lend itself to an easy placement, but trust me, you'll think back on this post every time you get fatigued watching a movie or something for an extended period.
My TV is over my fireplace. Seven years of TV viewing ... back-to-back moviethons, weekend Netflix binge-watching ... and I've never experienced fatigue. My lower back's gotten a little sore from insufficient support in my recliner, but never once have I bemoaned the position of my TV over the fireplace. I don't think it's as big a deal as you make it out to be.

But I'm more curious about installing a TV in a screened porch. I would think the electronics would not respond well to winter temperatures, and it doesn't seem terribly secure from theft.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
My TV is over my fireplace. Seven years of TV viewing ... back-to-back moviethons, weekend Netflix binge-watching ... and I've never experienced fatigue. My lower back's gotten a little sore from insufficient support in my recliner, but never once have I bemoaned the position of my TV over the fireplace. I don't think it's as big a deal as you make it out to be.

But I'm more curious about installing a TV in a screened porch. I would think the electronics would not respond well to winter temperatures, and it doesn't seem terribly secure from theft.
When people elect to put TVs on their screened porches, they likely also have higher-end outdoor furnishings, grills, etc out there and are willing to take the risk.

We've considered adding one outside before, but our screened porch can be seen from our family room (which already has a TV) so the usefulness just isn't there for us. Plus, we're not big TV watchers.

Our TV is, however, over the fireplace in the family room and nobody's complained of discomfort watching it. It's a good-sized room with furniture that's far enough away from the TV for it to be comfortable.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
We have a fireplace on our screened porch. While it's a standard wood burning fireplace with gas logs plenty of folks have done unvented.

We used these guys - Dickerson Hearth | Outdoor Fireplaces, Outdoor Living, Outdoor Kitchens | Home

They worked with the contractor that built our porch. Good quality work by a company that's been around for a number of years. We would use them again.

We also mounted a plasma flat screen. No ill effects on our necks or the screen after four years. Storage temps for flat panel TVs vary, but are generally in the range of 0F-110F which is pretty safe in our area. Most operating temp specs are closer to 50F on the low side but it is generally not an issue. I would ensure the TV stays dry and be wary of condensing humidity. Many TV mounts also have a tilt feature that helps with the viewing angle issue.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary