Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:44 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
IBM, yes. Nortel, no. I worked for Nortel 24 years. Most of the transfers came from Canada (and they became core season ticket holders for the Carolina Hurricanes). Several thousand Canadians came down, although not all stayed. Some Nortel transplants did come from Rochester and Long Island, but the timing was much later and the number was much smaller.
Im a nortel brat except my father transferred from ITT in TN to nortel in the 80's. With the exception of college Raleigh has stayed my home. I think the New yorkers taking over is felt more in Cary and North Raleigh. Every thursday I have a clients house to clean up six forks rd. I stop for coffee at panera,starbucks inbetween and I have often joked that it feels like I drove out of state. The new york accent is quite apparent as the dominant accent in those places. Its not annoying, if anything im intrigued. I spend some time on the NYC forum and I secretly want to ask a real person about so many things. Usually If I meet a person from NY I just fall back on " I sure bet you miss Wegmens huh"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 07:56 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
The new york accent is quite apparent as the dominant accent in those places. Its not annoying, if anything im intrigued. I spend some time on the NYC forum and I secretly want to ask a real person about so many things. Usually If I meet a person from NY I just fall back on " I sure bet you miss Wegmens huh"?
Actually, Wegman's is an upstate New York supermarket. There aren't any in the NYC metro area except for one store in North Jersey, so most New York City area residents aren't familiar with shopping in Wegman's. It's the upstaters that are die-hard Wegman's fans. And now that Wegmans has expanded into DC and Philadelphia, they have turned many of those residents into die-hard Wegman's fans, too.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:14 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
[quote=cyn7cyn;37443026I spend some time on the NYC forum and I secretly want to ask a real person about so many things. Usually If I meet a person from NY I just fall back on " I sure bet you miss Wegmens huh"?[/quote]

If you ever get the opportunity, spend 2 weeks in and around NYC. Stay in Brooklyn and take the train into NYC. Two unique vibes and both are great. The last time I was in that area I watched the NYC 4th of July fireworks from a rooftop in Brooklyn and had an awesome time. My grandfather owned a limo service and spent his whole life in and around NYC. I took my college roommate to NYC one spring break and my grandfather showed him/us around "his" NY...from a laypersons perspective, mostly from his depression era memories. We started out in spanish harlem and worked our way into downtown. Each area is distinct but they all dovetail together. It really is a great place to visit.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:08 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
There aren't a lot of people from NYC itself who are moving here. The city people want to be in or near the cultural amenities and other opportunities the city offers and would probably not be very happy in this very suburban area. When they want a house with a yard they move to the suburbs of NYC so they can still be near the city and are willing to pay the higher prices to do so. The people who have been in those suburbs for generation find these "City people" annoying and that they are driving up the cost of living and making traffic worse etc. etc. etc.....so they move to NC and do the same thing here that the city people were doing to their hometown.

It's a cycle that just keeps on going. How many native Wake County folks have moved to Harnett, Chatham, and Johnston counties in the past 10 years to get back to "easy living"?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:41 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Just to clarify . I didnt mean to imply that these people all came from NYC. It was mentioned because that forum is the only daily association to NY I have. I did recently meet a couple from Buffalo and they did really miss Wegmans.I do the same when meeting people from Seattle " whats with the seattle freeze"? Lol

Old 11-29-2014, 12:29 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
IBM, yes. Nortel, no. I worked for Nortel 24 years. Most of the transfers came from Canada (and they became core season ticket holders for the Carolina Hurricanes). Several thousand Canadians came down, although not all stayed. Some Nortel transplants did come from Rochester and Long Island, but the timing was much later and the number was much smaller.
Yes, IBM wayyy preceded Nortel. And not all of IBM transplants were from NY. I grew up on a street full of them and the neighbors on our street were from MI and MN.

Quote:
Just to clarify . I didnt mean to imply that these people all came from NYC.
They may not all be literally from NYC, but most seem to be from the NYC general extended metro area with the definitive "NYC attitude (and accent)" (Long Island, N New Jersey). You really can't miss that attitude and upstate NYers by and large don't have it.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:16 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times
There were also IBMers from CA and FL, although they weren't necessarily natives of those states.

IBM = I've been moved. NT = Next town.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:56 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
They may not all be literally from NYC, but most seem to be from the NYC general extended metro area with the definitive "NYC attitude (and accent)" (Long Island, N New Jersey). You really can't miss that attitude and upstate NYers by and large don't have it.
What is the "NYC attitude"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary