Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:09 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
We considered West Cary when looking for our current home. We already lived in Cary, near where we live now. We were just looking for more space.

We didn't like the lack of shopping, very dark roads, and the rapid development. Also, the house we bought gets us both to RTP (different areas of it) pretty much just as fast as if we lived in West Cary. There are a good many parts of Cary/Morrisville with quick commutes to RTP. I believe the allure of West Cary is new houses. It's hard to find a new 500k plus house anywhere else in Cary, and plenty of people are set on owning a new home. There are likely a number of reasons behind the psychology of that mindset, I suppose.

There's nothing wrong with West Cary, not really. But, throwing reason out the window to move there is odd. The rest of Cary is just as nice (if not nicer in some areas).
There is a nudge toward teardown and/or buildover in "old" Cary, that I think will provide more opportunity as some momentum gathers.
In the wild world of ITB, people worry less about putting a $600,000+ house next to an older rancher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 09:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There is a nudge toward teardown and/or buildover in "old" Cary, that I think will provide more opportunity as some momentum gathers.
In the wild world of ITB, people worry less about putting a $600,000+ house next to an older rancher.
I already see some of that happening in Cary. Macgregor has been like that for a while. A nice lot on the golf course may provide a great tear down opportunity.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:25 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
We considered West Cary when looking for our current home. We already lived in Cary, near where we live now. We were just looking for more space.

We didn't like the lack of shopping, very dark roads, and the rapid development. Also, the house we bought gets us both to RTP (different areas of it) pretty much just as fast as if we lived in West Cary. There are a good many parts of Cary/Morrisville with quick commutes to RTP. I believe the allure of West Cary is new houses. It's hard to find a new 500k plus house anywhere else in Cary, and plenty of people are set on owning a new home. There are likely a number of reasons behind the psychology of that mindset, I suppose.

There's nothing wrong with West Cary, not really. But, throwing reason out the window to move there is odd. The rest of Cary is just as nice (if not nicer in some areas).
I agree - this is all about people (in many cases) coming from out of state and wanting to tell people back home about their brand new home with low property taxes. So many people from "back home" assume that we live in a brand new 5000 square foot house on an acre of land because why else would you move? I think there is some effort at justifying the move going on here.

My parents live in Carolina Preserve and every time I drive up there that area is unrecognizable from the previous visit. I would be having stomach churning anxiety about buying a home up there for so many reasons, not the least of which is the school situation which is clearly going to be unstable for some years to come.

We went through - and quickly passed out of - the "let's build a house" thing when we moved here, and I know many others in the same boat, but most transplants are apparently getting stuck there right now.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree - this is all about people (in many cases) coming from out of state and wanting to tell people back home about their brand new home with low property taxes. So many people from "back home" assume that we live in a brand new 5000 square foot house on an acre of land because why else would you move? I think there is some effort at justifying the move going on here.

My parents live in Carolina Preserve and every time I drive up there that area is unrecognizable from the previous visit. I would be having stomach churning anxiety about buying a home up there for so many reasons, not the least of which is the school situation which is clearly going to be unstable for some years to come.

We went through - and quickly passed out of - the "let's build a house" thing when we moved here, and I know many others in the same boat, but most transplants are apparently getting stuck there right now.
I like the idea of some day buying in an established area and doing a tear down to build a house, if we ever get the urge to go that route. I don't much like having to cross over highway 55. It's an ugly stretch of road. Davis is far more attractive as commutes go.

The thing that concerns me for people new to the area is that their money could go very far in an established community. They'd get a newer home, lower taxes, AND more stability with schools.

I often wonder if people are worried about being the new family in the neighborhood. This area has been transient for so many years that this isn't an issue. I know that many people are moving from places where that's not the case, though.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:10 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
in my experience, this is not a new phenomenon.

the ONLY benefit that "West Cary" has currently is that they will literally run out of land soon enough. Therefore, the path of development cannot continue forever, and they can't keep building "NEW!" ad infinitum.

There is absolutely a sizable subset of people that think of new houses and "used" houses. So, your 5 year old home, even if its custom, is below their standard, compared to a KHovnanian home. And those people have been buying "West Cary" for more than 10 years. When RTP companies weren't hiring, they weren't buying though.

I'm sure Mike & Vicki remember what happened when the tech bubble hit and a bunch of Cisco people moved out of their 0-3 year old homes in Preston/P. Village. 10-20% loss in values because there was no one to buy the homes that were suddenly evacuated.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:16 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
..... incredibly overpriced properties, and a guarantee that it will all come tumbling IMO......

It would be nice if this would happen, but it's not going to happen anytime soon I think. This has been going on for years. Meaning the increasing prices and high property values.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
It would be nice if this would happen, but it's not going to happen anytime soon I think. This has been going on for years. Meaning the increasing prices and high property values.
Not really. The market seemed to turn right at the beginning of 2012.

We had a major drop in 2008.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 AM

360 posts, read 516,729 times
I think buying in an established area requires more time... there's not as much inventory, not as many larger homes for people that have that need. I can see the West Cary draw...

We're currently renting out in the Cary Park area and I could see living here. It's nice! I would prefer to live closer in and so we're sitting around waiting for something that's a good match closer in to the davis dr/high house area, but still west enough to make RTP commutes nice.

We looked at one house in Wellsley, for example, that would have worked well for us... except the family room was smaller than the bed rooms, and of course, completely closed off from the kitchen. You could barely seat 4 people in it. Gorgeous lot/location/etc. So, you could pay $420k for that, and what, build on? remodel? for another 100k to fix the problem of no living space for the family and a tiny kitchen... or just buy a new house. Many older homes are just laid out differently. So for me I could see wanting a new home, but not because I need a shiny new home, but just because I want a home that feels like it has a better family space for us to spend time in.

We continue to look/wait... we're hoping more inventory in summer will help us out. But if we don't find something this summer, despite wanting to live in a more central location in Cary, we'll just buy a newer home out in (far) West Cary.

Our house often has three generations living in it at the same time. We actually would use the extra space, though, no, we don't *need* it. We aren't Asian, but that may be the draw for many Asian families as well. These new homes often have nice in-law suites, etc.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:35 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I can see your point here. I wish my house were laid out a bit differently. On the other hand, the kids are growing up faster than I would like and honestly for the amount of time they will be home in the coming years we definitely don't need more space. We also finished the 3rd floor when we moved in so we have that as extra. I can see with another generation how you'd want more room.

The bottom line is like RedZin mentioned, we decided we could live without the extra space to save the $100K (sort of the opposite of you). But the biggest deal breaker for us was the lack of property, and we were not going to settle much less than .30.

Good luck with your home search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
I think buying in an established area requires more time... there's not as much inventory, not as many larger homes for people that have that need. I can see the West Cary draw...

We're currently renting out in the Cary Park area and I could see living here. It's nice! I would prefer to live closer in and so we're sitting around waiting for something that's a good match closer in to the davis dr/high house area, but still west enough to make RTP commutes nice.

We looked at one house in Wellsley, for example, that would have worked well for us... except the family room was smaller than the bed rooms, and of course, completely closed off from the kitchen. You could barely seat 4 people in it. Gorgeous lot/location/etc. So, you could pay $420k for that, and what, build on? remodel? for another 100k to fix the problem of no living space for the family and a tiny kitchen... or just buy a new house. Many older homes are just laid out differently. So for me I could see wanting a new home, but not because I need a shiny new home, but just because I want a home that feels like it has a better family space for us to spend time in.

We continue to look/wait... we're hoping more inventory in summer will help us out. But if we don't find something this summer, despite wanting to live in a more central location in Cary, we'll just buy a newer home out in (far) West Cary.

Our house often has three generations living in it at the same time. We actually would use the extra space, though, no, we don't *need* it. We aren't Asian, but that may be the draw for many Asian families as well. These new homes often have nice in-law suites, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary