Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:49 AM

544 posts, read 853,047 times

Advertisements

Years from now, we will look back at the great Diner Biscuit war of 2015 as a mere footnote in the epic story of We Didn't do it This Way Back Home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,344,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

"I notice we don't have any ___, maybe I'll remedy that by putting one in" is generally a more positive response than "Whatsamatta with yoo people, you don't have a ___???!?!?!?"
Is this supposed to be a Pittsburgh accent because that is where the OP is from?

Old 01-16-2015, 12:58 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,344,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You're not griping. We do get a good bit of it here, which explains the reason why it comes across that way when someone passes by a thread with mention of the lack of diners. Or good pizza. Or pro teams. Or public transportation.... I could go on, but you get the picture.

I thought your posts on this subject were very fair and thoughtful. I've enjoyed reading them.
Sorry to be off topic here but are pizza threads and public transportation threads really considered the same?? I get how offensive the "oh it is not like it was back home" stuff is but is that the same as discussions about how to address growth and transportation. IMO these are two very different things and yes the pizza stuff is griping!

Old 01-16-2015, 01:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Geez people, it was an OBSERVATION, not a criticism. Why are a few folks seemingly getting upset by this? Please show me exactly where I'm saying anything that would be construed as "griping".
It's my post you're responding to, and I'm not "upset"--I literally am saying, maybe you can build a diner and take advantage of the business opportunity.

As others have said, we don't feel like we have to have everything "NY, NJ, CT" do, but if you do, I agree that it would be cool to have someone open one, and was suggesting it as something you could get involved in since it is important to you.

I would probably patronize it since I live in the area you say should have one.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:44 PM

379 posts, read 518,122 times
Most diner food is bad for you, arent we all supposed to be eating healthier in the new year. I'm sure a few of you made that resolution a couple of weeks ago, just saying lol.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 PM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Sorry to be off topic here but are pizza threads and public transportation threads really considered the same?? I get how offensive the "oh it is not like it was back home" stuff is but is that the same as discussions about how to address growth and transportation. IMO these are two very different things and yes the pizza stuff is griping!
Without good pizza, there is really nowhere worth leaving home for, and the public transit will fail....

Old 01-16-2015, 03:22 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
It is and it's not.

If we talk about the need for better public transportation in a constructive way, that's different than a gripe thread about how the Triangle doesn't have a subway system that is large enough to make living here without a car just as easy as it was in Brooklyn.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:23 PM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
Charlotte used to have several "diner-ish" places. Knife and Fork and Andersons are both closed. I think both closed due to development though, not lack of business. As a highschooler in the 80's, both were always hopping at 2am. The Landmark and Liberty East are open, Landmark thrives, Liberty East I'm not sure about.

One difference in Charlotte is a much larger Greek Population (significant because they run the mentioned diners)

I'd assume that something like Briggs is closer than Waffle House.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM

115 posts, read 230,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Dagnabbit, now you've done it. Folks are going to want to start moving here now.

My wife and I live in the Bay Area and are looking at moving out of the area. Raleigh/Cary is on the short list. This post really got me excited to get out there and check it out!

Old 01-16-2015, 05:59 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,804,357 times
I think what separates diners from other restaurants like IHOP and Waffle House, besides being locally owned and run, is the sheer number of items on the menu. It's usually several pages long. There's breakfast (all day, of course), sandwiches for lunch, full entrees for dinner and then homemade desserts and cookies. It's the kind of place you can go to anytime - for breakfast or for a nice dinner. It's often a large restaurant - sometimes with a casual section and a dressier section. It's not generally like Mel's Diner from Alice (yes, I'm dating myself) which is more of a greasy spoon type place.

Here are the menus of a diner I frequent with my friends "back home" when I visit. I think it is pretty typical of the diners you can find all over New Jersey, PA, etc.

http://princetoniandiner.com/pdf/PRI...AST%20MENU.pdf (breakfast menu 4 pages!)

http://princetoniandiner.com/pdf/PRI...AST%20MENU.pdf (lunch 6 pages)

http://princetoniandiner.com/pdf/PRI...AST%20MENU.pdf (dinner 10 pages)

I shouldn't have looked at this - now I'm hungry!

Last edited by michgc; 01-16-2015 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary