Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:02 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It is and it's not.

If we talk about the need for better public transportation in a constructive way, that's different than a gripe thread about how the Triangle doesn't have a subway system that is large enough to make living here without a car just as easy as it was in Brooklyn.
Honestly, I have never seen that kind of post and I can see where comparing this area to NYC would be annoying. The majority of light rail posts I read comparing this area to Charlotte and Atlanta. IMO, avoiding the topic of mass transit in an area with explosive growth like the Wake County would just be burying your head in the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:04 PM

610 posts, read 746,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Is this supposed to be a Pittsburgh accent because that is where the OP is from?
Nope. We don't say it like that.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Honestly, I have never seen that kind of post and I can see where comparing this area to NYC would be annoying. The majority of light rail posts I read comparing this area to Charlotte and Atlanta. IMO, avoiding the topic of mass transit in an area with explosive growth like the Wake County would just be burying your head in the sand.
Oh. We've had them. Which is why I mentioned it.

I agree that the mass transit issues here need more attention. Absolutely.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:49 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
I forgot Your House closed down and unfortunately I don't stray above 540 often enough to know any places. There did seem to be more of those kind of joints years ago then now. They all closed down. Remember the Ham and Egger( think that was the name)on Old Wake Forest rd? With a large portion of northerners in North Raleigh I'm sure someone's looked into providing one but something stops them . Most of the restaurants that are new seem to either cater to fast food or a little more gourmet. My guess is that there isn't much $$ in serving big portions of hearty comfort food for low prices. People usually choose a buffet when going that route. I'd also assume that many of these diners up North have been in business for years without much new culinary competition. Raleigh's restaurant scene is more recent and the whole diner experience apparently isn't what the majority of people are looking for. The issue seems to be the same with delis. There are people that really want one but there isn't enough of them living within a specific area. Diners and deli' s just aren't something people will drive far for. It's the density of desire dillemna. Enough people want them to warrant one but they are too spread apart for the business to be successful.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:28 AM

703 posts, read 780,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
... My guess is that there isn't much $$ in serving big portions of hearty comfort food for low prices. People usually choose a buffet when going that route. I'd also assume that many of these diners up North have been in business for years without much new culinary competition. Raleigh's restaurant scene is more recent and the whole diner experience apparently isn't what the majority of people are looking for. The issue seems to be the same with delis. There are people that really want one but there isn't enough of them living within a specific area. Diners and deli' s just aren't something people will drive far for. It's the density of desire dillemna. Enough people want them to warrant one but they are too spread apart for the business to be successful.
Really good insights on the topic. Makes a lot of sense.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:54 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,471 times
My biggest complaint about moving here.....Time Warner. It is horrible!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:59 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
I forgot Your House closed down and unfortunately I don't stray above 540 often enough to know any places. There did seem to be more of those kind of joints years ago then now. They all closed down. Remember the Ham and Egger( think that was the name)on Old Wake Forest rd?
Yes, I can remember a lot of joints around like that. I assumed they all went by the way side due to fast food. Remember The Diner that opened in Glenwood South recently? Already closed.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM

226 posts, read 610,285 times
Quote:
I forgot Your House closed down and unfortunately I don't stray above 540 often enough to know any places. There did seem to be more of those kind of joints years ago then now. They all closed down. Remember the Ham and Egger( think that was the name)on Old Wake Forest rd? With a large portion of northerners in North Raleigh I'm sure someone's looked into providing one but something stops them . Most of the restaurants that are new seem to either cater to fast food or a little more gourmet. My guess is that there isn't much $$ in serving big portions of hearty comfort food for low prices. People usually choose a buffet when going that route. I'd also assume that many of these diners up North have been in business for years without much new culinary competition. Raleigh's restaurant scene is more recent and the whole diner experience apparently isn't what the majority of people are looking for. The issue seems to be the same with delis. There are people that really want one but there isn't enough of them living within a specific area. Diners and deli' s just aren't something people will drive far for. It's the density of desire dillemna. Enough people want them to warrant one but they are too spread apart for the business to be successful.
Yup, Weinberg's was unsuccessful with their deli in n. Raleigh. I think it's hard for diners and delis to make enough money to stay in business when competing with the likes of Waffle House and Jersey Mike's.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Not going to read through the 7 pages so I'm sorry if its been covered but there are an absolute ton of good golf courses at decent prices if the OP is willing to drive 45 minutes. In metro-raleigh the lack is understandable...although Lonnie Poole is both awesome and centrally located.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times
One of the few things I miss about Florida.

The Original Pancake House

There are two in Charlotte and none here. Wassup wit dat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary