Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:44 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,899,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Or the next cupcake trend. Seems like 3 +/- years ago everyone was opening a cupcake business.

Someone brought Rise donuts into work a few weeks ago. I don't understand what people think is great about the place - although I haven't tried their biscuits, maybe that's their main business.
Rise uses a pre-made mix for its donuts... the pre-made mix bags are in plain view at the Rise location at Cameron Village. Anyone with an inkling of baking skills could go there, purchase the donut mix and make them.

Biscuits are overrated, too.

If you want designer donuts, go with Duck Donuts.

the bacon donut ...

Nom, nom, nom...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 12:53 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,764,637 times
I'm sorry but Rise blows Duck out of the water. Totally different. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. No right or wrong. Just stating my perspective

Duck Donuts breakfast sandwiches, for anyone interested, are totally abysmal. A joke. Compare a chicken egg cheese biscuit from rise to a microwavey bacon egg and cheese on English muffin from Duck....no comparison.

Bacon maple bar is better than anything at duck. Although it's not as good as the original at voodoo!

Old 06-04-2016, 01:27 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Rise uses a pre-made mix for its donuts... the pre-made mix bags are in plain view at the Rise location at Cameron Village. Anyone with an inkling of baking skills could go there, purchase the donut mix and make them.

Biscuits are overrated, too.

If you want designer donuts, go with Duck Donuts.

Eh, to each their own but I'm with rory, I prefer Rise.

Also I'm pretty sure they're not just using any old "pre-made mix" as they do value their reputation and on occasion have marketed themselves as such. They could be batching the mix at a main location and packing it to their other franchised locations, which makes sense considering their rapid expansion. They'd want consistency at all franchised locations. That or what you are seeing is base ingredients in bulk.

There's no need to crap all over their business. It does take talent, dedication, passion, and skill to grow a business from what was once one lonely location in one city to now a spread of locations across the Triangle.

Soon they'll have franchised locations Charlotte, Wilmington, and Texas... but sure, by all means go wander in there and bake a donut yourself because it's so simple and the only aspect of their business.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:11 PM

Compare Duck's bacon maple (low quality bacon, just a regular donut, nothing special at all):

To Rise - much better quality bacon, and in a true bar, like the original:

To Voodoo....the real deal:

Ducks version is a cheap imitation. Total turn off. Rise's is good. Voodoo has it down.

I wanted to like Duck, really did. Just nothing special, at all. All hype. Just an avg donut shop. In a place saturated w them like SoCal, I hate to say it but they wouldn't stand out at all.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:27 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
All bad food choices Rory no matter where you get it. That's the kind of crap that killed Elvis kiddo

Old 06-04-2016, 02:41 PM

No offense but I often wonder why people even post things like that? What value does that add?
So...ok? Thanks? I'll go back to my artery clogging hole where I move like a sloth and sleep on a bed of Doritos and Funyuns. I don't mean to be a jerk, just don't get why you're posting on a donut thread...not to eat donuts. Just move on?

I tried to find pictures of the breakfast sandwiches at duck but couldn't. Funny though when I searched Google for a pic, tripadvisor popped up w someone saying how bad the breakfast sandwiches are.

Hopefully the Duck folks read these reviews and comments and get better. Not meant to insult them, meant to help them succeed.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:01 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
Sorry Rory... Just like you said. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I got one too.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:07 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,899,966 times
The Rise bots came out the woodwork. Lol. And we can make those donuts from scratch lol... I provide marketing and promo for a local bakery ... as soon as we saw the pre mix bags at Rise we just laughed and felt screwed instantly ... they finally admitted it at the counter that they use pre mix. .. smh.

Rise is cool If you want something closer to krispy kreme.

If you want a donut experience go to Duck . Period .

Y'all are funny .

V'doo looks good tho ... gonna have to try that .

Old 06-04-2016, 05:59 PM

530 posts, read 637,477 times
I'm a big fan of Rise. Though I realize I have never eaten their donuts now that I think about it (just not a donut person). They are a place I go to pick up a delicious biscuit sandwich, with ingredients you definitely can't get at bojangles. Was very happen when the downtown Durham location opened earlier this year.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
The Rise bots came out the woodwork. Lol. And we can make those donuts from scratch lol... I provide marketing and promo for a local bakery ... as soon as we saw the pre mix bags at Rise we just laughed and felt screwed instantly ... they finally admitted it at the counter that they use pre mix. .. smh.

Rise is cool If you want something closer to krispy kreme.

If you want a donut experience go to Duck . Period .

Y'all are funny .

V'doo looks good tho ... gonna have to try that .
Oh for the love of... did you even read my prior comment about franchising/distribution?

We're all entitled to our opinions but there's no need to be a thorn in the side about it and spreading rumors. Also would it kill you to use some proper grammar/sentence structure?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary