Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 11,039 times

Advertisements

I had a miscarriage first time and found out that I am pregnant again now. Pretty excited about it. But, little tensed given my miscarriage situation. I live in Morrisville.

Currently going to OB/GYN at triangle womens center and not been very happy with them. Looking to switch.

Would like to hear suggestions and experiences from the community in the forum on delivering at different hospitals ( Wakemed Cary, Wakemed Raleigh, Rex, UNC, Duke, ) especially given my miscarriage situation. I am hoping for as much natural birth as medically feasible. I have heard about elective deliveries, where deliveries are not natural without a valid medical reason and I would like to avoid them.

Although the closer is better, I have found out that everything is pretty much 20-30mins drive. So, if I am getting a better care with a little extra drive time, I don't mind. My searches resulted in some older threads and would love to hear more recent experiences from the community, given my situation.

Appreciate inputs and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:42 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Avoid Wakemed New Bern Ave. They did an awful job on my DIL 2 years ago. Rex is a good choice.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:07 PM

116 posts, read 173,035 times
I had an excellent labor and delivery at WakeMed Cary. Have you looked into their new birthing center next door? It's really beautiful. Maybe a midwife is the route you would like to go? I did have an epidural at WMC, but didn't feel pressured to do anything I didn't want to do. But obviously your primary OBGYN or midwife plays a big role in how things go with your pregnancy and delivery. I have friends who had a good experience at Rex as well. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM

455 posts, read 918,947 times
Both my kiddos were born at WakeMed Cary and the wife and I were very happy with it. We only had one minor issue with a nurse during the second delivery and she was removed from the room and we never saw her again.

The long version/explanation - My wife had fast deliveries.. 45 minutes from water breaking to birth for my son and maybe 30 for my daughter. I was trying to tell the Nurse to get the doc because she was ready to give birth, but the nurse didn't believe me that it would be that fast and was too busy trying to get readings on my wife. I got a bit angry and demanded she get someone, and since our doc wasn't there the midwife came in, I quickly explained the speed of the first birth and she immediately began to deliver my daughter. At the same time, she asked the nurse to go get another nurse and that was the last we saw of her. She knew we weren't overly happy with what had transpired (The whole "issue" took place over maybe 5 minutes) and fixed it immediately. Everything was as wonderful as the first delivery other than those 5 minutes.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:32 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,806 times
You might consider the UNC Midwives. They deliver in UNC Hospital, but are very supportive of natural births. It was the right balance for us with the peace of mind of having OBs and an OR ready for any emergencies.

Rex hospital seems to also be very popular.

The bottom line is to find a practice you like and you'll deliver wherever they deliver.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:51 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
In the doula/natural birth and parenting world, it's advised to avoid Rex and go for either of the birth centers, either WakeMed, UNC, or Duke Regional. Hope that helps!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:15 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
I delivered at Duke and felt pressured into lots of interventions that I didn't want, but felt bullied into getting anyway. My sister delivered at Rex and wasn't even given a chance to try a vaginal delivery because of her big baby. She had her 2nd baby at Wake Med, where they fed her baby formula without her knowledge or consent, knowing that she was breastfeeding. If I was going to have another baby, I would be looking seriously at the birth center in Chapel Hill for my next one.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 AM

48 posts, read 102,105 times
I had a great experience at Rex--didn't feel pressured at all. I asked for us to be released to go home early and they were totally fine with that. Another great thing was that I was able to GET SLEEP!!!! I delivered my first at a hospital in Florida and they kept poking and prodding me all night (routine delivery, no complications at all), and I got NO SLEEP for my entire stay there--ugh. My experience at Rex was so much nicer.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:19 PM

757 posts, read 2,083,137 times
I had a great delivery at Wake Med, but the postpartum experience was absolutely horrible.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 PM

53 posts, read 128,608 times
I had an excellent experience when I delivered my second baby at WakeMed Cary. It was about 100 times better than when I had my first baby at a supposedly "top notch" hospital right outside Boston. Hands down, WakeMed Cary was better.

I hear the new birthing center next door is wonderful, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary