Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 3,239 times

Advertisements

Well, after spending a year or so dreaming about moving to NC, I find myself with a solid job prospect. I'm very much a planner, so I want to know as much as possible before traveling down for a final interview.

What we're looking for:
- Decent proximity (under an hour) to family in Raleigh
- Decent proximity (under an hour) to job in Smithfield
- High quality schools (kids are 2, 6, and 12, so we care about all levels)
- Rural (which my husband defines as "one direction in which I cannot see my nearest neighbor)
- But, not so remote that I have to drive half an hour for a grocery store

Affordability
- I'm a teacher, my husband works in food service now, but isn't sure what he'd be doing in NC. Might even be part time work. We'll need a three bedroom. Renting to start, but eventually we'd like to buy. Or, maybe rent-to-own?

Based on this, what towns / areas would you look at? What kinds of rents can we expect to find? Other info we should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:43 PM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slatertq2 View Post
Other info we should know?
NC is in last place in the country for teacher prospects at the moment.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Unfortunately you're likely to be hit with a lot of negativity in this forum regarding teaching as a career in the state of North Carolina. My only advice is to educate yourself and be knowledgeable about what's happening and some of the current political trends.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:51 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
NC is in last place in the country for teacher prospects at the moment.
Wow, the media propaganda has really gotten to people. I know a few teachers that have moved here over the last few years and they love their jobs. Could they make more money, sure. But to say it's the worst place in the US for "teacher prospects", is a bit far fetched.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:18 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Honestly, I'll keep my opinion on the teacher thing to myself as I've been there, done that (and won't do it again).
That being said, you could live in areas of somewhere like Fuquay and be maybe 30-40 minutes from Smithfield and raleigh. Don't quote me on times, but sure under an hour.
I wouldnt suggest Smithfield, mainly because you probably wouldnt want your kids in the schools. Fuquay will still give you Wake Schools, where at least the teachers follow the common core!

I am in Clayton, which also has rural areas and is in your timeframe for travel, but with 3 kids in 3 schools here, 2 of which are supposedly top-rated, I am not impressed and would move if my kids were not so dead-set against moving. One is really anxious/emotional and had a very hard time adjusting, so for her sake, we will stay here for now. The middle schooler likes the school, but says the teachers dont teach much. Being a teacher for years, I am highly aware of what should be done in the classroom, and it doesnt happen here.
Calling principals, the school board, and the state have gotten me nowhere. But, many people are happy with the schools here. they could be worse, they are just not challenging like the schools where we came from.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:26 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Hi there,
My husband and I are also from RI, moved here 7 years ago and are very happy. I'm definitely not one who prefers rural locations so I cannot be of much help in that respect. Clayton would be a good choice - it's a nice small town, close to Smithfield with easy access into Raleigh. Quite a few transplants living there. It's Johnston County and schools are supposed to be good (my kids are grown).

We originally moved to Cary and loved it. We were there for > 5 years but downsized last year and now live in the Brier Creek area.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slatertq2 View Post
Well, after spending a year or so dreaming about moving to NC, I find myself with a solid job prospect. I'm very much a planner, so I want to know as much as possible before traveling down for a final interview.

What we're looking for:
- Decent proximity (under an hour) to family in Raleigh
- Decent proximity (under an hour) to job in Smithfield
- High quality schools (kids are 2, 6, and 12, so we care about all levels)
- Rural (which my husband defines as "one direction in which I cannot see my nearest neighbor)
- But, not so remote that I have to drive half an hour for a grocery store

Affordability
- I'm a teacher, my husband works in food service now, but isn't sure what he'd be doing in NC. Might even be part time work. We'll need a three bedroom. Renting to start, but eventually we'd like to buy. Or, maybe rent-to-own?

Based on this, what towns / areas would you look at? What kinds of rents can we expect to find? Other info we should know?
Fuquay-Varina.

The Wake County part of it, anyway.

Teaching is teaching. We don't have unions here. Just be prepared for that. We have a GA that isn't fond of our teachers, but there are certainly plenty of teachers here who enjoy teaching. They do not, however, enjoy many perks or even paychecks as large as you'd find in many other states.

Don't rent-to-own. That's a horrible idea. Rent and then buy.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:36 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I was going to suggest Clayton or other areas of Johnston County - close to Smithfield (the closer you get to Smithfield, the more rural it gets) and not too far from Raleigh either. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 3,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

Don't rent-to-own. That's a horrible idea. Rent and then buy.

Good luck to you!
RedZin, can you tell me why you say this? I've been trying to find out more about rent-to-own, to figure out if it's a great idea, or a terrible one, and no one I've talked to knows anything about it.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
It's a terrible idea, and leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary