Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 10:39 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I've seen a few cars out on my street which is a thick sheet of ice. Didn't see any sliding as I had expected. I wonder if the surface is grippy enough to drive on...and then how it will be after some melting and refreezing...
At least in our neighborhood, I think the sleet provided enough texture so that while the surface is frozen solid, there is some grip. No real tire tracks, but some grip. Agree with you that a little surface melting and a refreeze overnight could make it smoother and take away that grip ...

I wouldn't be surprised if schools were closed until Monday. I wouldn't drive a school bus through our neighborhood right now, tomorrow AM likely worse, and probably no better until the weekend for untreated roads that don't get much sun. Those roads that see some sand will likely be better, a bit more surface grip would help a lot.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 10:46 AM

4,555 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
At least in our neighborhood, I think the sleet provided enough texture so that while the surface is frozen solid, there is some grip. No real tire tracks, but some grip. Agree with you that a little surface melting and a refreeze overnight could make it smoother and take away that grip ...

I wouldn't be surprised if schools were closed until Monday. I wouldn't drive a school bus through our neighborhood right now, tomorrow AM likely worse, and probably no better until the weekend for untreated roads that don't get much sun. Those roads that see some sand will likely be better, a bit more surface grip would help a lot.

Frank

Yup, I really need to get out of the neighborhood tomorrow for work. Feel paralyzed that all the interstates and major roads are clean, and it's my driveway and neighborhood streets keeping me in. Can't afford to not go into work tomorrow. This stuff is so hard to clean by yourself.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:08 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
North Carolina. Come for the lower taxes, stay for the longer snow/ice breaks.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:12 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Tried to walk the dog again, too slippery. Probably ok if you have a light or small dog.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:22 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
OK, but the equipment exists. When we get 3 or 4 inches, like we did last year, something goes out and plows the streets. Maybe DOT doesn't think it's a big deal for a small storm like last night's, but on a day like today, getting the streets clear (even a little bit) could make the difference between drivable or not drivable for the next 72 hours.
The main roads are being plowed just fine, and if you're expecting them to get into every neighborhood street this quick...that IS a waste of money given the amount of snow we get annually.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:51 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
OK, but the equipment exists. When we get 3 or 4 inches, like we did last year, something goes out and plows the streets. Maybe DOT doesn't think it's a big deal for a small storm like last night's, but on a day like today, getting the streets clear (even a little bit) could make the difference between drivable or not drivable for the next 72 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
The main roads are being plowed just fine, and if you're expecting them to get into every neighborhood street this quick...that IS a waste of money given the amount of snow we get annually.
Yeah, its not that they don't have all that equipment, its that they don't have a lot of that equipment. For comparison, I worked on the Grounds Crew in college, at a school more or less the size of Meredith, size wise. The school had a full size dump truck with a plow, two half ton pickups with plows, skidloaders with buckets and snowblower attachments, and several commercial lawnmowers with enclosed cabs that had snowblower/plow attachments. This for that small of an area. The Car dealership I worked at had two snow plows and a skid loader.

Its not a wise use of taxpayer money to buy expensive capital equipment that is going to get used once or twice a year.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:03 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Tried to walk the dog again, too slippery. Probably ok if you have a light or small dog.
Like that bulldog that rides a skateboard, you just need to teach Fido how to use cross-country skis

Old 02-17-2015, 12:03 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Our subdivision was plowed by TOC about 1 p.m.. They do a darn better job than our old town in NY used to do. I think those guys used to hit the bottle before jumping in the snow plow trucks.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:25 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Our subdivision was plowed by TOC about 1 p.m.. They do a darn better job than our old town in NY used to do. I think those guys used to hit the bottle before jumping in the snow plow trucks.
Nobody has come through by us. I had no idea it was solid ice on our street until we went out to go sledding. Who knew we would get to go ice skating too! I am amazed that people in our neighborhood have attempted to drive on our streets.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
You're doing it wrong! The dog should pull you. Just squat to keep your balance and let the dog do the hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary