Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 08:43 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times

Advertisements

Glad I don't have kids to worry about, just myself. I will be stocking up on ice melt pellets in the future so I can prevent the ice skating rink of my driveway, walkways and stairs. Getting out of my driveway is generally not a problem since I move the car closer to the street. The problem is getting down my stairs and safely to the car.

It takes about 3 days of decent warmer temps for my lot to thaw out and even then I'll still have some areas of snow longer than that. Oh and I'm in Cary, but my house is 100ft back from the street, on a very shaded lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
If they're canceling for the cold, then they should say that. Wake says they're canceling "due to poor secondary road conditions."
Yes, Chapel Hill said they are closed due to "icy conditions." Although I suspect even without the icy conditions, there is a chance they would have closed due to the extreme cold.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times
http://imgur.com/S3Zz4IS

Old 02-18-2015, 09:13 PM

448 posts, read 851,787 times
I know our parking lot is still a sheet of ice and the things that did melt before the sun went down will now for sure freeze over. I am not looking forward to making these days up.

My husband went to Staples by White Oak and he stated that there were many of the side roads that were still pretty icy and have not been cleared yet

Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I got off work in Cary at 10 PM and many of the streets are incredibly icy with black ice. Definitely worse than they were earlier in the evening.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I got off work in Cary at 10 PM and many of the streets are incredibly icy with black ice. Definitely worse than they were earlier in the evening.
I had a feeling that would happen after it snowed. I'm glad you got home safe.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well I have no dog in the fight. But personally if I was a parent I'd be pissed. We can't pander to everyone, who refuse to drive because there are patches of ice here and there.

It's crazy, this is NC not FL. And even if it were, that's still no excuse.

Everyone at my wife's work uses the snow as an excuse to stay home too (including her). I understand the culture down here is "different" than up north but you're inconveniencing a large amount of people who have to struggle to find a place for their kids, or miss yet another day of work.
Lots of people did that today at my work, too. Just didn't show up. Not even after 10 or 11 when most of it melted. No kids, live in the city, and still couldn't make it? Puh-lease. Whatevs. They're now missing 16 hours off their paychecks...whereas I worked 11.5 hours today and probably another 11 or 12 toorrow. Gimme that overtime peeps lol

Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
If one works mostly on their computer and sits on conference calls, then there's no reason to have to go into the office just to warm the chair on days when the weather has made things dicey. Technology is such that one can remotely and securely connect to work networks, be on corporate instant messenger, call into meetings and get work done just as if they were sitting in their veal fattening pen ... errr cubicle in the office.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
If one works mostly on their computer and sits on conference calls, then there's no reason to have to go into the office just to warm the chair on days when the weather has made things dicey. Technology is such that one can remotely and securely connect to work networks, be on corporate instant messenger, call into meetings and get work done just as if they were sitting in their veal fattening pen ... errr cubicle in the office.
Yup.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:45 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Tell that to Marissa Mayer.

Last edited by RoaminRebel; 02-19-2015 at 12:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary