Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:03 AM

401 posts, read 528,652 times

Advertisements

Back in January, I brought my car to a local repair shop to have the clutch replaced. I live in NW Raleigh by the airport, but this place is basically in Knightdale so it is a lot of trouble for me to get over there. Not only that, but there is no bus line and no way to get around since I am stranded while they have my car. Anyway, the reason I brought it there was that they had given me an online email quote for the cost – given my make, model and year. Two hours after I dropped the car off, I got a call saying that they had given me the wrong price and that the clutch I needed cost $100 more. Because it is so much trouble for me to make a trip over there, I was ticked-off, but told them just to get it done since I couldn’t deal with another trip back. I wish I had just told them to forget it which I should have done. That was a sign of things to come. Two hours after the first call, I got a second call saying they needed to replace the rear main seal and a transmission mount for another $100. I had to get the car back, so what could I do? I finally got the thing back after dark with the total $200 more than I thought it would be – and the next day, I noticed it was leaking oil from what can only be the rear main seal – a leak and a location it had never had any leaking from before I brought it to them. I hoped it would stop but it didn’t and it has been that way for the last 6 weeks. I’ve been told that it is just a matter of time until the clutch gets contaminated enough from the leaking engine oil – and that it will eventually slip and I will be right back to where I was before I brought it there – except $1000 poorer. But there’s more. Over the days right after I got it back, I started to find all sorts of damage and broken things with the car……interior damage, cosmetic damage, scratched, black marks….and they broke my windshield washer tubing completely – just in time for the salt on the roads which made it impossible to see. But the worst thing was they broke one of the coolant hoses and re-filled the anti-freeze with PLAIN WATER. I discovered this and was totally furious since it could have resulted in a cracked engine block had it frozen with the cold temperatures we have had. I had to drain and re-fill with $40 worth of coolant on top of the money I already paid them. I had just had the water pump and radiator replaced back in September with fresh new anti-freeze in there so I know they were responsible for that. They did not tell me.
I am hoping someone can give me some advice on how to proceed with filing a complaint with the State or whatever governing body is in charge of auto repair places in Raleigh / NC. I am dreading taking the car back to them. Supposedly I have a 6-month warranty, but given this place’s behavior and incompetence so far, I am not optimistic if I do take it back. What I really want is all my money back so I can take it to a place that will fix it.
Anyone have any ideas, experience or advice? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
See this site:

Auto Repair

Old 03-05-2015, 11:12 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
I feel for you, I really do. Unfortunately, all of that is really tough to prove as far as getting it remedied or getting your money back. I might file a complaint with the AG office and BBB...I know that doesn't help you, but the alternative (going back to these guys and demanding satisfaction) isn't likely to work very well for you, and would you really want them under your hood again?

Have you asked to speak with a manager, and spoken with a manager/owner of the joint?

Here is a somewhat helpful link, but again, its kind of after the fact.

Auto Repair

Old 03-05-2015, 12:14 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times
Bring it back and speak to the manger. Keep all documentation. No way are you going to get your money back.

I don't understand why you would go to knight-dale if you live near the airport. Sometimes they can not see additional damage until they start working on your car. I would think 100-200 more is normal. I have had this happen to me many times and I trust my mechanic. He shows me the damage and parts he replaces.

The other stuff is hard to prove and I don't see how all that damage could have happened in a few hours they had your car. It is possible but seems very odd. I don't know all the facts so I can not side with you or them.

Next time go to someone closer, ask for references on this site, and check reviews online. Sometimes the lowest cost is not always the best. You get what you pay for.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:28 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I don't understand why you would go to knight-dale if you live near the airport.
I live in Cary and took my car all the way to Hillsboro for a Head Gasket, based on a recommendation of a trusted friend. I was very pleased with the service I got. It was a pain in the neck, but i understand why the OP would do that.

I do agree, it's going to be hard to prove. I would only recommend going to the manager, but I would also recommend checking my anger at the door, and having a respectful, fact-based discussion about what your experience was, and what (if anything) they can do to help make you a satisfied customer. Even if you'll never use them again, that is the approach i'd take.

There are also all the normal things:
BBB
AG
Internet reviews
Social Media
etc....

Old 03-05-2015, 12:39 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
Is putting plain water in anti-freeze wrong/illegal? if you can prove it, then take it back to dealership and let them right their wrong. Otherwise I've seen people use the local news media to expose crooked businesses (e.g. WRAL troubleshooter, etc).

You know it's pretty bad when the state has to issue a page just to protect consumers from auto mechanics.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:51 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
I would say the TV station troubleshooters

Old 03-05-2015, 01:00 PM

685 posts, read 720,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
See this site:

Auto Repair
It's really clear (the ncdoj link). IF the repair costs over 10% of the written estimate, the link shows:

If you have a complaint about auto repairs contact us for help or call toll free within North Carolina at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM.

It's great (thanks, CHTransplant) and I could've used it a couple of years ago.

Also, OP, I'm sorry about the mess you're in. You do have the option of going through BBB. Just be careful because if the shop is listed as BBB Accredited (something like that), they've paid BBB and it's just not neutral-based as claimed these days. I grew up with them and used them for a variety of issues. Recently (last year), I used them to handle a new car sales dispute and they were not neutral and appeared more in support of the bad dealership. My rationalization (if it is one) is if a business pays BBB for that stamp, there's a possible conflict of interest since money exchanged hands.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:38 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Have you not brought up the oil leak to them yet?

Old 03-05-2015, 02:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
But the worst thing was they broke one of the coolant hoses and re-filled the anti-freeze with PLAIN WATER.
Did you see them do this? Anti-freeze is usually sold in two formats. One you add water to and the other is premixed. Maybe they were adding water to unmixed antifreeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary