Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I hope you're not surprised by it.
Of course I'm not surprised. I wasn't surprised that an unstable white supremacist killed black people, either.

Saddened, but not surprised.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I think its interesting that we have FAR more confederate monuments than monuments to WWII or WWI or even the Revolutionary War.

Here are a couple of good articles I found:
Why It Is Still Wrong to Vandalize Confederate Monuments | CIVIL WAR MEMORY

Confederate Flags and Monuments and Their Future - The Atlantic

I think contextualizing the monuments makes sense and perhaps providing monuments to individuals who fought for Civil Rights like MLK and the Greensboro Four and groups like all the generations of people who were forced to labor and live their lives as slaves. Here in Chapel Hill I don't mind Silent Sam, the confederate memorial to "the sons of the university who entered the war", but I would love to see a better memorial to the black lives who have enriched the university. The one that was put up several years ago is pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 AM

128 posts, read 151,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Expect to see a LOT more of it. And then expect to see them disappear.
Certainly. And as a taster of what you're dealing watch this.

» VIDEO: Americans Have No Idea Why They Are Celebrating the 4th of July Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

There are many of these videos showing the level of education of the average American. Sorry state of affairs.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
Certainly. And as a taster of what you're dealing watch this.

» VIDEO: Americans Have No Idea Why They Are Celebrating the 4th of July Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

There are many of these videos showing the level of education of the average American. Sorry state of affairs.
Care to explain how this is on topic?

Old 07-02-2015, 09:42 AM

128 posts, read 151,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Care to explain how this is on topic?
July 4th is Saturday. If people are 'shockingly ignorant' of it's meaning how can we have an effective discussion on anything that requires knowledge of history? It makes you wonder if it is by design.

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984

Old 07-02-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
July 4th is Saturday. If people are 'shockingly ignorant' of it's meaning how can we have an effective discussion on anything that requires knowledge of history? It makes you wonder if it is by design.

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984
I think it's pretty safe to say that all the participants in this thread know why we celebrate Independence Day.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:55 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think it's pretty safe to say that all the participants in this thread know why we celebrate Independence Day.
Personally I always wonder seeing those man-on-the-street videos how many hours of footage get left on the cutting room floor from the hundreds of people who actually know the answer because it'd fail to advance their narrative/doesn't make for fun watching.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:03 AM

160 posts, read 235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Personally I always wonder seeing those man-on-the-street videos how many hours of footage get left on the cutting room floor from the hundreds of people who actually know the answer because it'd fail to advance their narrative/doesn't make for fun watching.
I suspect you're right.

I know that my kids study harder than I ever did. They've got more opportunities to learn historical things than I ever did. My kids by the age of 10 had been to more historical sites than I'd been to at 30. My kids watch discovery channel, etc. all the time.

There will always be stupid people - it's just easier today to show them on TV.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Yup. Watching people give the correct answer is no fun.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
I suspect you're right.

I know that my kids study harder than I ever did. They've got more opportunities to learn historical things than I ever did. My kids by the age of 10 had been to more historical sites than I'd been to at 30. My kids watch discovery channel, etc. all the time.

There will always be stupid people - it's just easier today to show them on TV.
We often quiz the kids about historic events, just to see if they've been taught about them yet.

I'm frequently pleased by how much they've already learned in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary