Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
so many of the HVAC guys recommend to use the cheap filters as the others make the systems work so much harder.
Yeah - they explain that the role of the filter is to protect the HVAC system as air is re-circulated, not to act as an air cleaner. Pleated filters - especially high MERV ones - restrict air flow. (We use them, though, to reduce allergens.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 02:18 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
We just keep up the best we can with "the Swiffer System"

Old 03-17-2015, 02:30 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
". . . . . Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake."
Great movie, but I fail to see how it relates?

Old 03-17-2015, 04:11 PM

634 posts, read 912,340 times
If you are using a power vacuum cleaner, by chance is it not filtering correctly?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:25 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Yeah - they explain that the role of the filter is to protect the HVAC system as air is re-circulated, not to act as an air cleaner. Pleated filters - especially high MERV ones - restrict air flow. (We use them, though, to reduce allergens.)
This! If you want an air filtration system, buy one. Using restrictive filters in your HVAC doesn't have the desired affect and reduces the life of your HVAC. Also, don't run your fan continuously.

For the OP, I would suggest having your ducts cleaned. That may help.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:34 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I got so tired of all the dust in the bathroom, I got some filters that go in the vent (not the intake) It's just a rectangle of filtery stuff. I probably got them a Lowes.

I think it helps overall, but there is always a layer of white dust around the toilet paper holder...the TP sheds constantly.

I use a microfiber duster and vacuum it off every few minutes. And sometimes I use a damp cloth to dust with. It seems to make the dust stick to the rag rather than just send it back into the air.

Most of the time I just ignore the dust.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Perhaps you could send a dust sample to an environmental test lab to see what the origin of the dust can be traced to.
I'll bet it can be traced back to all the transplants who keep overburdening our infrastructure.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:29 PM
MOD

95 posts, read 151,687 times
Duct cleaning is mostly a scam. Think about it - if there's dust in the ductwork, it's not going to come loose at a constant rate over time, it'll either get blown out very quickly or settle into a nook somewhere and stay there. Duct cleaning is a solution without a problem, an "invisible threat" used to make easy money.

so....Things to look at:

-HVAC system - could be exhausting more air than it's bringing in, leading to negative pressure in the house, which brings in unfiltered air through tiny gaps in the building envelope and every time you open the door. Look for leaky return ducts running through attics, crawlspaces, or basements, which could also be drawing in dusty air.

Look at where your fresh air intake is located. Garage? Crawlspace? The side of the house that faces an industrial paper shredder?

Also - Rugs, mattresses, curtains, and things that might have trapped a lot of dust somewhere else and are now releasing it through use.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I got so tired of all the dust in the bathroom, I got some filters that go in the vent (not the intake) It's just a rectangle of filtery stuff. I probably got them a Lowes.

I think it helps overall, but there is always a layer of white dust around the toilet paper holder...the TP sheds constantly.

I use a microfiber duster and vacuum it off every few minutes. And sometimes I use a damp cloth to dust with. It seems to make the dust stick to the rag rather than just send it back into the air.

Most of the time I just ignore the dust.
We had a lot of dust in the bathroom and noticed that the outside door to the bathroom exhaust vent was not closing properly. Fixing the vent flaps to always close when the vent was not blowing air outside cut the dust a lot. I also vacuum the vent from below once a week.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:57 AM

117 posts, read 92,643 times
Tell your neighbour about this matter. Also remove the dust from your home and furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary